Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-05T06:49:30Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7929 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to "set lpmethod" in MATLAB?

‏2010-07-28T05:49:10Z |
My MATLAB codes call CPLEX12.1 to solve a cplex instance from MATLAB2009b.
I specifically want to have CPLEX21.1 solve the cplex instance using “3=network simplex” of lpmethod setting. I assume there is a corresponding concert technology callable library that we can use from C, C++, or JAVA. Is there any function that I can use in MATLAB2009b to tell CPLEX12.1 to use “3=network simplex” to solve my given cplex instance?

Thank you,

Chaehwa
Updated on 2013-02-05T06:49:30Z at 2013-02-05T06:49:30Z by SystemAdmin
  • John Cui
    John Cui
    413 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to "set lpmethod" in MATLAB?

‏2010-07-28T07:23:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    OK,

2 ways:
    1. Use Cplex class.
    >> cplex=Cplex();
    >> cplex.addCols(1);
    >> cplex.Param.lpmethod.Cur = 3;
    >> cplex.solve();

2. Use toolbox function
    f     = [-1 -2 -3]';
    Aineq = [-1  1  1;  1 -3  1];
    bineq = [20 30]';

lb = [0    0   0]';
    ub = [40 inf inf]';
    options = cplexoptimset('cplex');
    options.lpmethod = 3;
    [x, fval, exitflag, output] = cplexlp ...
          (f, Aineq, bineq, [], [], lb, ub, [], options);

John Cui
    Updated on 2014-03-25T00:32:27Z at 2014-03-25T00:32:27Z by iron-man
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7929 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-30T20:23:52Z  in response to John Cui
      I tried the second way. When I check the output variable returned, output.algorithm=2. When I try lpmethod=2, the algorithm is also 2, but if I change the lpmethod=1, it uses algorithm 1. How can I verify that it is using the network simplex method?

Additionally, I tried this on a much larger problem with thousands of variables and constraints. The output.time was less than 1 second but the actual time, which I computed using tic/toc around the cplexlp function, was almost 20 seconds. Any reason for such overhead or why the big difference?

Thank you for your help.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7929 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-05T06:49:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        > Ronny81 wrote:
        > I tried the second way. When I check the output variable returned, output.algorithm=2. When I try lpmethod=2, the algorithm is also 2, but if I change the lpmethod=1, it uses algorithm 1. How can I verify that it is using the network simplex method?
        >
        I don't understand. Isn't it expected that algorithm 1 is used if you set lpmethod to 1? What is the problem here? The network simplex method is algorithm 3.

> Additionally, I tried this on a much larger problem with thousands of variables and constraints. The output.time was less than 1 second but the actual time, which I computed using tic/toc around the cplexlp function, was almost 20 seconds. Any reason for such overhead or why the big difference?
        >
        What time did you measure with tic/toc? The time reported by CPLEX does not include the time to setup the internal CPLEX problem from the data provided in matlab. If this transformation takes very long then time spent in the solve() call may be significantly larger than the time required for the actual solve itself.

>
        > Thank you for your help.