Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-07-31T02:31:29Z by ishields
cristina.
cristina.
1 Post

Pinned topic how to decide the parameter value of root in grub.conf when installing OS

‏2010-07-21T06:31:35Z |
Hello, everyone

After I installed Linux OS(for example:SuSE10,redhat5),the root parmeter of kernel in created grub.conf seems that sometimes it's defined to device name.sometimes it's defined to Label or sometimes UUID.

So ,I want to know what is that relative to? Hard disk type or OS version or both?

Thanks.
Updated on 2010-07-31T02:31:29Z at 2010-07-31T02:31:29Z by ishields
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts

Re: how to decide the parameter value of root in grub.conf when installing OS

‏2010-07-31T02:31:29Z  
    UUID is most likely to be unique and is preferred for that reason. Usually the mkfs command will create a UUID when you format a partition, so UUID needs to be supported by the filesystem you are formatting for. Labels are also filesytem dependent. For example, you use e2label to label a DOS or ext2/3/4 partition or the ReiserFS utilities to label a ReiserFS partition. If you elect not to format a partition during install, then the best that can be done depends on how the partition is already formatted. It seems installers are moving toward preferring UUID, but I'm not really sure how universal that is yet.

Ian Shields