3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-30T00:05:41Z by norva
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2364 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Linux backup software and restore via network boot

‏2010-07-13T18:03:41Z |
Dear All IBMer's,

I would like to know if anyone out there has a solution to my problem. I need to backup Linux + a few running applications to an image. After creating an image would like to restore it through network boot. This is to be done on the IBM Power Systems platform (PowerPC). Please let me know if there are any open source software that could help complete this task. Appreciated!

Thanks,
Ishan
Updated on 2010-07-19T17:21:50Z at 2010-07-19T17:21:50Z by ishields
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Linux backup software and restore via network boot

‏2010-07-19T17:21:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    This forum is mainly for System x questions. You might have better luck on the Linux for Power Architecture forum. You might also get inspiration from some of the standalone rescue tools, such as the System Rescue CD. These tend to have a collection of open source tools that you could use along with settign up a network boot environment to run them in.

When you say "running applications", you'll either need to stop them temporarily, or figure out how to checkpoint to some state so that your backup is usable.

Ian Shields
    • MarkSgeek
      MarkSgeek
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Linux backup software and restore via network boot

‏2013-10-25T07:42:17Z  in response to ishields

I can advise this about Linux backup - I commonly use Handy Backup to back up Linux servers, and then I upload my backups to FTP, or copy the backups to USB flash drive.  

Maybe it will help someone .)

• norva
      norva
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-30T00:05:41Z  in response to ishields

dsf