Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-12T18:21:02Z by hutchjm
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
15 Posts

Pinned topic Where can I find the sample applications and sample job definitions?

‏2010-07-09T18:00:11Z |
You can find Modern Batch sample applications in <was_root>/installableApps directory.
They are:
  • XDCGIVT.ear
  • SimpleCI.ear
  • Postingsv2Sample.ear

Sample job defintions for these applications are in <was_root>/longRunning directory.
  • For XDCGIVT application, there are several job definitions to choose from: XDCGIVTbyte2bytexJCL.xml, XDCGIVTtxt2db2txtxJCL.xml, and XDCGIVTtxt2txtxJCL.xml
  • For SimpleCI application, the job definition is SimpleCIxJCL.xml
  • For Postingsv2Sample, the job definition is postingsv2samplexJCL.xml
Updated on 2013-03-12T18:21:02Z at 2013-03-12T18:21:02Z by hutchjm
  • DonBagwell
    DonBagwell
    6 Posts

Re: Where can I find the sample applications and sample job definitions?

‏2010-07-14T02:53:36Z  
    SimpleCI is the easiest to start with because there's no data resource or file resource requirements. Launch the thing, it climbs into CPU, cranks away and completes. A wonderful IVT for starting out. A minimum of chances for failure.

I like XDCGIVT next ... it's a relatively simply transactional batch program in four steps:

1. The first step creates a file at configured path and populates it with hypothetical banking data

2. The second step reads that file and loads the contents into the database. That's a single table ... you have to create that first for this to work.

3. The third step reads back the DB2 entries and writes to a second file system file

4. The fourth and final step compares the Step 1 and Step 3 files for equality and returns RC=0 if the same.

It's not rocket science, but it is the next step in verification -- the exercise of the file and JDBC record writing and reading capabilities.

Postings is similar to XDCGIVT -- it's a JDBC interaction mechanism.
  • DonBagwell
    DonBagwell
    6 Posts

‏2010-07-14T03:11:04Z  
    Oh, by the way, once you get XDCGIVT working ... check out the checkpoint and restart capabilities.

Set the number of records to some value high enough where you can interrupt it before it finishes -- 5K or 10K records. And be sure the substitution property for checkpoint interval is sufficiently small so you can interrupt between checkpoint intervals.

In the JMC console select the "executing" job and issue a "stop" against it. It'll stop at the next checkpoint interval.

Then "restart" ... it'll pick up where it left off.

Über cool! This illustrates one of the key differences between a batch platform and a simple framework -- you can affect a job within a running JVM.
  • hutchjm
    hutchjm
    1 Post

‏2013-03-12T18:21:02Z  
    With WebSphere Application Server Version 8 and 8.5, the
    Sample applications are no longer packaged with the WebSphere Application Server product, but you can download samples from the "Samples, V 8.5" Information Center at:
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.websphere.samples.doc/ae/welcome_samples.html

Click on the Downloads tab, then click the "Download Sample" link (FTP or HTTP) for the samples that you want.

From here, you can download compressed file, or individual sample files, to a directory on your workstation.

Many sample compressed files have an /installableApps directory that contains deployable prebuilt archives.

Other directories contain sample-specific source archives, scripts, and instructions for building deployable archives.

The samples are also available for WAS V.8, but not so complete:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/wsbroker/redirect?version=matt&product=was-nd-mp&topic=welcome_samples