Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
21 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-12T08:44:23Z by MarkN
Panchal
Panchal
34 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Feature not yet supported error !

‏2010-06-03T20:18:03Z |
Hi,
I have installed the latest OSGi GA release now. And am happy to report that the BundleContext related error has been fixed in this release.

However, when I tried to update a single bundle within an existing EBA, I get an error message

The exception "CWSAL0051E: An attempt was made to update an OSGi application asset. This is not yet supported. " occurred. Check log for details.

Can you please clarify when this feature would be supported.
Also, can you please confirm if I can update (add/update/delete) an artifact within an EBA while its has been deployed an running as a BLA, Or do I have to stop the BLA undeploy the EBA and redeploy the EBA after updating it.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Updated on 2011-08-12T08:44:23Z at 2011-08-12T08:44:23Z by MarkN
  • MarkN
    MarkN
    124 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Feature not yet supported error !

‏2010-06-04T08:26:54Z  in response to Panchal
    Hi Panchal,
    Thank you for confirming that the BundleContext problem was fixed in the GA release.

As an administrator you can update one or more bundles within an existing EBA providing that the changes are within the ranges specified on each bundle within APPLICATION.MF. (So for example, if you had, Application-Content: bundle.a;version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"then you could replace bundle.a with any other version from 1.0.0 up to but not including 2.0.0.)

The way to do this update is not via the 'update asset' button, but rather via Applications -> Application Types -> Assets -> [asset.name.eba] -> Update bundle versions in this application (under the 'Additional properties' heading). This gives you a table listing all the bundles in the application which allows you to make changes accordingly.

The 'update asset' button is not yet supported, and sadly IBM rules prohibit me saying when it will be. But it's on our list of things to do :)

You can update one or more bundles within an .eba asset after it has been deployed into a BLA. The changes will take effect once you restart the BLA.
    • Panchal
      Panchal
      34 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-09T14:04:44Z  in response to MarkN
      Hi Mark,
      Thanks for your reply.
      When I click on the "Update Bundle Versions in the application" link it does show me the listing of all the bundles in the application with the last column having only two values viz. "no preference" and "1.0.0" for all my bundles.

I cannot seem to update my bundle from here.
      Please note that in my APPLICATION.MF, I haven't specified any contents so the Application-Content values are auto generated during import.
      • MarkN
        MarkN
        124 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-10T07:54:42Z  in response to Panchal
        Hi Panchal.
        Here's what you need to do to make best use of the Update Bundle Versions in the application" panel. Rather than have your application manifest autogenerated, write one yourself as per the description in the Infocenter. Once you've deployed your application, install any new bundles, whose versions fall within the ranges set in your application manifest, into the internal bundle repository. Save your changes to the WAS configuration, then revisit the "Update Bundle Versions in the application" panel. You should now be able to select new bundle versions from those in the internal bundle repository that fall into the ranges permitted in your APPLICATION.MF.

Regards,
        Mark
        • Panchal
          Panchal
          34 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-10T21:26:18Z  in response to MarkN
          Thank for the info. This would mean that we cannot update the bundles if we use the Auto generated Application Context.
          • MarkN
            MarkN
            124 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-11T11:52:31Z  in response to Panchal
            Yes, that's correct. We expect most people, most of the time, to author an APPLICATION.MF - it's not onerous, and both the <a href="http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/downloads/10/rationaldevtoolsforosgiapplications.html>free</a> and <a href="https://www14.software.ibm.com/iwm/web/cc/earlyprograms/rational/radob/index.shtml>RAD beta tools provide support for creating one. In its absence we don't like to make assumptions about your versioning strategy. We assume the developer's intent to be that we should install the bundles in the .eba, and not some that we might provision as a result of any guesses about bundle version ranges that we might make.
              • Panchal
                Panchal
                34 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-16T00:18:41Z  in response to MarkN
                Hi Mark,
                Thanks for your reply.
              • Panchal
                Panchal
                34 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-21T21:26:22Z  in response to MarkN
                Hello Mark,
                I now modified my APPLICATION.MF file and defined all the application contents explicitly with the version numbers for my bundles as

version=
                "[1.0.0,2.0.0]"

But even with this change, I do not see any way to update my bundles. In the drop-down I still see the same 2 options that I reported in my earlier post. I am not sure how this feature is supposed to work. I think I am missing something here and would really need some kind of a walk-thru document (with images if possible) as to how the 'update bundle versions' feature is supposed to work.

Thanks.
                • Emily Jiang
                  Emily Jiang
                  73 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T09:50:29Z  in response to Panchal
                  Hi Panchal,

For updating bundles, you need to have the same bundle with different versions available to be able to perform update.

For an example, in you eba, you include a bundle com.bundle.a with version 1.0.0. Later on, you would like to use the bundle com.bundle.a with version 2.0.0. In your application.mf, you have the following:
                  com.bundle.a;version="http://1.0.0,2.0.0" in your Application-Content: header. You need to make bundle com.bundle.a version 2.0.0 available for performing update. The instructions are detailed as follows:

1. Modify the bundle com.bundle.a with your changes on top of your previous version 1.0.0 in your eclipse environment (or RAD or some else IDE tool) and then make its version to be 2.0.0. Its manifest 'META-INF/MANIFEST.MF' looks as bellow:
                  Manifest-Version: 1.0
                  Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
                  Bundle-Name: 0 Plug-in
                  Bundle-SymbolicName: com.bundle.a
                  Bundle-Version: 2.0.0
                  Bundle-Vendor: acom
                  Export-Package: LIST THE EXPORT PACKAGES
                  Import-Package: LIST THE IMPORT PACKAGES

2. Upload it to a bundle repository (e.g. internal bundle repository)
                  After you have udpated the bundle and its manifest, you need to install the bundle com.bunle.a.jar in the internal bundle repository. Click on Environment->OSGi Bundle Repositories ->Internal Bundle Repository and then on the internal bundle repository screen, click on 'New' button and then on the new screen, browse to your com.bundle.a.jar and upload it.

3. Go to your asset and then update the bundle com.ibm.a from version 1 to verion 2
                  'Update bundle versions in this application' should list both version 1.0.0 and vesion 2.0.0 for bundle com.bundle.a. In the drop own, you just pick the version 2.0.0 and then click 'Preview'. In the preview screen, if anything is ok, just click 'Commit'.

4. Restart your application.
                  The restarting application process will load the new version of bundle com.bundle.a into osgi runtime.
                  click on applicaitons-> Application types -> Business Level Applicaions and then choose your application. Click on 'stop' and after the application stoppes, click on 'start'.

Hope this helps.
                  Thanks
                  Emily
                • Emily Jiang
                  Emily Jiang
                  73 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T09:50:59Z  in response to Panchal
                  Hi Panchal,

For updating bundles, you need to have the same bundle with different versions available to be able to perform update.

For an example, in you eba, you include a bundle com.bundle.a with version 1.0.0. Later on, you would like to use the bundle com.bundle.a with version 2.0.0. In your application.mf, you have the following:
                  com.bundle.a;version="http://1.0.0,2.0.0" in your Application-Content: header. You need to make bundle com.bundle.a version 2.0.0 available for performing update. The instructions are detailed as follows:

1. Modify the bundle com.bundle.a with your changes on top of your previous version 1.0.0 in your eclipse environment (or RAD or some else IDE tool) and then make its version to be 2.0.0. Its manifest 'META-INF/MANIFEST.MF' looks as bellow:
                  Manifest-Version: 1.0
                  Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
                  Bundle-Name: 0 Plug-in
                  Bundle-SymbolicName: com.bundle.a
                  Bundle-Version: 2.0.0
                  Bundle-Vendor: acom
                  Export-Package: LIST THE EXPORT PACKAGES
                  Import-Package: LIST THE IMPORT PACKAGES

2. Upload it to a bundle repository (e.g. internal bundle repository)
                  After you have udpated the bundle and its manifest, you need to install the bundle com.bunle.a.jar in the internal bundle repository. Click on Environment->OSGi Bundle Repositories ->Internal Bundle Repository and then on the internal bundle repository screen, click on 'New' button and then on the new screen, browse to your com.bundle.a.jar and upload it.

3. Go to your asset and then update the bundle com.ibm.a from version 1 to verion 2
                  'Update bundle versions in this application' should list both version 1.0.0 and vesion 2.0.0 for bundle com.bundle.a. In the drop own, you just pick the version 2.0.0 and then click 'Preview'. In the preview screen, if anything is ok, just click 'Commit'.

4. Restart your application.
                  The restarting application process will load the new version of bundle com.bundle.a into osgi runtime.
                  click on applicaitons-> Application types -> Business Level Applicaions and then choose your application. Click on 'stop' and after the application stoppes, click on 'start'.

Hope this helps.
                  Thanks
                  Emily
                  • Emily Jiang
                    Emily Jiang
                    73 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T09:56:04Z  in response to Emily Jiang
                    Hi Panchal,

In my previous message, the version="http://1.0.0,2.0.0" should be read as what you described in your application.mf. For some reason the version range was rendered to be a url.

Thanks
                    Emily
                  • Panchal
                    Panchal
                    34 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T14:17:16Z  in response to Emily Jiang
                    Hello Emily,
                    Thanks for your detailed post. I found what I was missing - basically the newer version of the bundle must be uploaded to the Internal Bundle Repository prior to performing an update.

Thanks,
                    Panchal.
                    • Emily Jiang
                      Emily Jiang
                      73 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T14:54:36Z  in response to Panchal
                      Hi Panchal,

Great to know it worked. Thanks for your earlier feedback, which will play an important role for improving our future releases.

Thanks
                      Emily
                • MarkN
                  MarkN
                  124 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T10:11:45Z  in response to Panchal
                  Hello Panchal,
                  For a walk through, please see Zoe Slattery's recent YouTube video, Upgrading an OSGi application.
                  • Panchal
                    Panchal
                    34 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T14:14:59Z  in response to MarkN
                    Hi Mark,
                    Thanks for that YouTube Video. That really helped.
                    From the video and from Emily's detailed post, its clear what I was missing. Basically, the newer version of the bundle must be present in the 'Internal Bundle Repository' prior to performing an update bundle versions. My expectation was that it would prompt me to upload the newer version of the selected bundles.
                    Instead, this way, it would clutter the Internal bundle repository with the newer versions of the application specific bundles in the EBA - which is not preferrable.
                    The preferrable way is what is giving me the 'Feature not yet supported' error. So, for the time being I would have to deploy the updated bundles in the Internal Bundle Repository.

Another point, every update to the bundle version doesn't automatically take effect like it should in an OSGi application - Hot deployment. Instead the BLA has to be stopped and started for the changes to take effect.

Thanks again for your responses.
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    153 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-16T15:21:45Z  in response to MarkN
                    Hi Mark,

firstly, Thanks for this interesting discussion.

I know how to update a version of a bundle, but my question is "how can I add a new module, and integrate it in the asset which i deployed it within a bla?" becaufe if I install it in the internal repository, it will be isolated, and it not work if i call a exported service by this bundle.

Regards,
                    Oussama
                    • MarkN
                      MarkN
                      124 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T08:50:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Oussama,
                      I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I've been waiting for the WAS V8 Infocenter to become available. You can add new bundles to a running application by using the application extension mechanism described here. Services exported by application extensions are available to the bundles in the application that they extend.

Regards,
                      Mark
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        153 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-09T10:37:59Z  in response to MarkN
                        Hi Mark,

First thank you very much for the perfect answer for my case study, it was really very interesting, and I also apologize for the delay in response because I thought you will not read my post:)

For this solution Mark, I have two quick questions:

1-If I add an extension (cba) to an eba, which provides services and resources, services will be accessible through the bundles of the EBA, and it works fine but when I want to access the resources saved by one of Bundle of cba in the HTTPService service, I can't, is that you have an idea for this problem?

2-what is the maximum number of bundles that can contain eba?

Regards,
                        Oussama
                        • MarkN
                          MarkN
                          124 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-09T12:56:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                          Hi Oussama,
                          I'm glad to hear that you've had some success in working with extensions.

when I want to access the resources saved by one of Bundle of cba in the HTTPService service, I can't,

I think I'm going to need some more information. First of all, can I ask, is this a problem specific to HTTPService? Does this problem also affect Web Application Bundles, WABs? I know that Servlets inside WABs inside CBAs deployed as extensions work correctly; it's possible that HTTPService-style access has received less attention.

Please see if packaging your Servlets into WABs fixes your problem, and then let us know either way. I think we'll need quite a bit more information in order to be able to assist you properly.

Finally, I'm not aware of any absolute limit on the number of bundles that can be included within an EBA.

Regards,
                          Mark
                          • SystemAdmin
                            SystemAdmin
                            153 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-10T10:23:32Z  in response to MarkN
                            Hi Mark,

Thank you very much Mark for these answers relevant, I will detail my case a bit ...

I have a eba containing several bundles, one bundle, where his web web.xml has the form:

<servlet> <servlet-name>HttpServiceServlet</servlet-name> <servlet-class>org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.HttpServiceServlet</servlet-class> <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> </servlet> <servlet-mapping> <servlet-name>HttpServiceServlet</servlet-name> <url-pattern>
                            /*</url-pattern> </servlet-mapping>

and other bundles will save resources so that they are accessible (eg text file) with the following configuration:

Java :

package org.osgi.was.main.internal;   

import java.util.logging.Level; 

import java.util.logging.Logger;   

import org.osgi.service.http.HttpService; 

import org.osgi.service.http.NamespaceException; 

public 

class MainServletRegistry 
                            { 

private 

static 

final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(MainServletRegistry.class.getName()); 

public 

void bindServlet(HttpService service) 
                            { 

if (

null != service) 
                            { 

try 
                            { logger.log(Level.INFO, 
                            "HTTP Service bound: " + service); service.registerResources(
                            "/Readme.txt", 
                            "/Target/Readme.txt", 

null); 
                            } 

catch (NamespaceException e) 
                            { logger.log(Level.WARNING,
                            "Unable to register example servlet!", e); 
                            } 
                            } 
                            } 

public 

void unbindServlet(HttpService service) 
                            { 

if (

null != service) 
                            { logger.log(Level.INFO, 
                            "HTTP Service unbound: " + service); service.unregister(
                            "/Readme.txt"); 
                            } 
                            } 
                            }

Blueprint.xml

<bean id=
                            "MainServletRegistry" class=
                            "org.osgi.was.main.internal.MainServletRegistry" />   <reference interface=
                            "org.osgi.service.http.HttpService" activation=
                            "eager" availability=
                            "optional"> <reference-listener bind-method=
                            "bindServlet" unbind-method=
                            "unbindServlet" ref=
                            "MainServletRegistry" /> </reference>

and if I want to get to the link http://localhost:9080/Context/Readme.txt, it works fine, but if I add an extension that contains the same structure (a resource service + "Readmetest.txt") the resource is not accessible if I type http://localhost:9080/Context/Readmetest.txt by against the service is imported by the bundles of eba.

I would like this information will clarify the situation.

Again Thank you for your support, your advice was rich.

Regards,
                            Oussama
                            • MarkN
                              MarkN
                              124 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-12T08:44:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                              Hi Oussama,

+but if I add an extension that contains the same structure (a resource service + "Readmetest.txt") the resource is not accessible+

First of all, can you please confirm whether or not service.registerResources() is being called inside your bind-method when running inside an extension? In other words, is 'service' null or not? If 'service' is null, then it's probably an application assembly error, such as a missing CompositeBundle-ImportService entry in your COMPOSITEBUNDLE.MF. If service.registerResources() is being called inside the CBA, then you'll need to follow the thread of execution down into your org.osgi.service.http.HttpService provider to see what's going on.

Regards,
                              Mark