Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-06-04T18:35:09Z by aHammer
aHammer
aHammer
7 Posts

Pinned topic Information Server hangs when multiple jobs are run simultaneously

‏2010-05-27T17:06:21Z |
When 2 jobs are submitted to the Information Server V8.0.1.0, the server will hang. Import and Export jobs seem to run fine. But jobs using a match specification cause the server to hang. The jobs are in different projects but if ran at the same time will hang the server. Currently we avoid this by emailing all staff so only a single job is ran at any one time. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have included a picture of the job type that causes the hang.
Updated on 2010-06-04T18:35:09Z at 2010-06-04T18:35:09Z by aHammer
  • HeatherStimpson
    HeatherStimpson
    3 Posts

Re: Information Server hangs when multiple jobs are run simultaneously

‏2010-06-02T19:52:43Z  
    QualityStage jobs which perform matching tend to be resource intensive, so you may be encountering resource limitations on your hardware. Can you provide a some detail regarding your hardware including node configuration as well as a brief description of the match specification?
  • aHammer
    aHammer
    7 Posts

‏2010-06-02T20:39:59Z  
    QualityStage jobs which perform matching tend to be resource intensive, so you may be encountering resource limitations on your hardware. Can you provide a some detail regarding your hardware including node configuration as well as a brief description of the match specification?
    Heather,

I agree, some of our jobs do use up a lot of resources. I was watching the Task Manager while running a big job and it was definitely exercising our server! So now I can see that running multiple big jobs simultaneously is not a viable option. Actually the jobs only take 10-15 minutes so waiting is not such a big deal. Using the Scheduler would help to streamline our workflow. However it seems the Director can only schedule jobs for a specific project. Each employee has their own project. We need a scheduler that can see across all projects. Does such a scheduler exist? I tried using Information Server Schedule Management tool but QualityStage is not currently supported.
    Any ideas on a global scheduler would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • HeatherStimpson
    HeatherStimpson
    3 Posts

‏2010-06-04T13:56:44Z  
    If you're attempting to schedule jobs from multiple projects, the Director won't be a viable solution. Instead I'd suggest that you utilize dsjob -run command line to start jobs (rather than the GUI). This command can be given to a scheduler to invoke jobs from any project. For a simple case you could use cron on Unix or the Task Scheduler on Windows. For more complex sequences there are other available schedulers that can invoke any number of applications. Also keep in mind that you could use a sequence job to 'choreograph' a set of job executions (within the same project) and then schedule that job to be run with one of the schedulers I mentioned above.
  • aHammer
    aHammer
    7 Posts

‏2010-06-04T16:44:01Z  
    If you're attempting to schedule jobs from multiple projects, the Director won't be a viable solution. Instead I'd suggest that you utilize dsjob -run command line to start jobs (rather than the GUI). This command can be given to a scheduler to invoke jobs from any project. For a simple case you could use cron on Unix or the Task Scheduler on Windows. For more complex sequences there are other available schedulers that can invoke any number of applications. Also keep in mind that you could use a sequence job to 'choreograph' a set of job executions (within the same project) and then schedule that job to be run with one of the schedulers I mentioned above.
    Thank you for the scheduler suggestions. Since we are running a Windows server I would have to use the Task Scheduler. Now that you have brought me this far down the path I can see that it isn't so much a scheduler that I need, but a way to check if any jobs are currently running. All of our jobs run in under 15 minutes. We want to run our jobs during the day rather than schedule them at night. So what would be useful is a way to see if any jobs are running. The only way I can think to do this across projects is to use the Task Manager and check for OSH.exe processes. I don't think QualityStage has any way to view jobs across project.
  • HeatherStimpson
    HeatherStimpson
    3 Posts

‏2010-06-04T18:10:16Z  
    Checking for osh.exe processes would be a valid approach, if you didn't have always running real time services. This is the only method I can currently identify, but your concern is valid. It appears you're looking for a dashboard or other utility to evaluate the current state of the system, so that you can know when jobs are running or have finished. This would be a fine enhancement and something I'll take under advisement.
  • aHammer
    aHammer
    7 Posts

‏2010-06-04T18:35:09Z  
    Checking for osh.exe processes would be a valid approach, if you didn't have always running real time services. This is the only method I can currently identify, but your concern is valid. It appears you're looking for a dashboard or other utility to evaluate the current state of the system, so that you can know when jobs are running or have finished. This would be a fine enhancement and something I'll take under advisement.
    Thanks Heather! :-)