Topic
  • 14 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-05-20T10:01:53Z by SystemAdmin
adbdkb
adbdkb
6 Posts

Pinned topic Web - JSF 2.0 and JavaServer Faces ( IBM Enhanced ) selection

‏2010-05-19T19:55:20Z |
I am trying to create a web project in RAD 8. When I select JavaServer Faces 2.0 AND JavaServer Faces ( IBM Enhanced ), I get the following error

JavaServer Faces ( IBM Enhanced ) 7.0 requires JavaServer Faces with version matching expression "1.1,1.2"

Does this mean if I select JSF 2.0, I cannot use JavaServer Faces ( IBM Enhanced ) or does it mean the capabilities of JavaServer Faces ( IBM Enhanced ) are included in JSF 2.0?

Thanks
Updated on 2011-05-20T10:01:53Z at 2011-05-20T10:01:53Z by SystemAdmin
  • yurykats
    yurykats
    9 Posts

Re: Web - JSF 2.0 and JavaServer Faces ( IBM Enhanced ) selection

‏2010-05-20T15:42:23Z  
    "IBM Enhanced" can not be used with JSF 2.0.
    The main purpose of "IBM Enhanced" facet is to provide tooling support for JWL component library. This library is not enabled for JSF 2.0, and so is the facet.
  • adbdkb
    adbdkb
    6 Posts

‏2010-05-22T13:01:57Z  
    • yurykats
    • ‏2010-05-20T15:42:23Z
    "IBM Enhanced" can not be used with JSF 2.0.
    The main purpose of "IBM Enhanced" facet is to provide tooling support for JWL component library. This library is not enabled for JSF 2.0, and so is the facet.
    From one of IBM's documents,

JavaServer Faces (IBM Enhanced) Helps a Web developer to use custom components from the IBM® JWL library in addition to the components defined in the JSF specification.

The components enabled by the JavaServer Faces (IBM Enhanced) are available on Enhanced Faces Components drawer of the Palette. The Enhanced Faces Components drawer contains both the components defined in the JSF specification and in JWL.

So, does this mean with JSF 2.0, in RAD 8,

1. They are included by default

or

2. The functionality provided by them is not available for use with JSF 2.0

Thanks
  • yurykats
    yurykats
    9 Posts

‏2010-05-24T14:42:34Z  
    • adbdkb
    • ‏2010-05-22T13:01:57Z
    From one of IBM's documents,

JavaServer Faces (IBM Enhanced) Helps a Web developer to use custom components from the IBM® JWL library in addition to the components defined in the JSF specification.

The components enabled by the JavaServer Faces (IBM Enhanced) are available on Enhanced Faces Components drawer of the Palette. The Enhanced Faces Components drawer contains both the components defined in the JSF specification and in JWL.

So, does this mean with JSF 2.0, in RAD 8,

1. They are included by default

or

2. The functionality provided by them is not available for use with JSF 2.0

Thanks
    When you create a JSF 2.0 project in RAD 8, the "Enhanced components" palette drawer will not be available and the JWL library will not be included in the project. For JSF 1.2 projects the palette drawer and the library will be available by default.
  • Chemi
    Chemi
    16 Posts

‏2010-06-01T09:57:54Z  
    • yurykats
    • ‏2010-05-24T14:42:34Z
    When you create a JSF 2.0 project in RAD 8, the "Enhanced components" palette drawer will not be available and the JWL library will not be included in the project. For JSF 1.2 projects the palette drawer and the library will be available by default.
    Will we have JWL migrated to JSF 2.0 in the final version?
    Or will we have any substitute in JSF 2.0 for those extended components?

Thanks.
  • yurykats
    yurykats
    9 Posts

‏2010-06-04T18:43:40Z  
    • Chemi
    • ‏2010-06-01T09:57:54Z
    Will we have JWL migrated to JSF 2.0 in the final version?
    Or will we have any substitute in JSF 2.0 for those extended components?

Thanks.
    JWL will still be supported in a JSF 2.0 application that is based on JSPs, in backwards-compatibility mode.
    JWL will not be updated to support any new JSF 2.0 features. It will not be available for Facelets based applications.
    There is a number of high quality JSF component libraries out there that have JSF 2.0 support. Any one of them can be integrated into RAD and used for application development.
  • RMalay
    RMalay
    2 Posts

‏2010-07-29T20:45:26Z  
    • yurykats
    • ‏2010-06-04T18:43:40Z
    JWL will still be supported in a JSF 2.0 application that is based on JSPs, in backwards-compatibility mode.
    JWL will not be updated to support any new JSF 2.0 features. It will not be available for Facelets based applications.
    There is a number of high quality JSF component libraries out there that have JSF 2.0 support. Any one of them can be integrated into RAD and used for application development.
    Does IBM recommend not to use the enhanced faces components for new applications?
  • yurykats
    yurykats
    9 Posts

‏2010-07-29T20:49:41Z  
    • RMalay
    • ‏2010-07-29T20:45:26Z
    Does IBM recommend not to use the enhanced faces components for new applications?
    If the new application is to use JSF 2.0, then yes.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2011-02-02T23:24:10Z  
    • yurykats
    • ‏2010-06-04T18:43:40Z
    What JSF component libraries do you recommend? I have looked into Trinidad and ICEfaces. ICEfaces looks really good, but has fees. Is there a free library as good as ICEfaces?

Thanks,
    Eric Wolf
  • yurykats
    yurykats
    9 Posts

‏2011-02-03T01:05:21Z  
    What JSF component libraries do you recommend? I have looked into Trinidad and ICEfaces. ICEfaces looks really good, but has fees. Is there a free library as good as ICEfaces?

Thanks,
    Eric Wolf
    I don't think ICEFaces itself has fees. There is a "for fee" version of IceFaces (EE) and there is a "for fee" support, but the base library itself is free and open source, as far as I remember.

I can't recommend any specific library, as it really depends on the application needs and your own preferences. I consider Trinidad, IceFaces and RichFaces to be solid libraries.
  • openeis
    openeis
    1 Post

‏2011-03-12T22:52:07Z  

Thanks,
    Eric Wolf
    I also have into Trinidad and ICEfaces.ICEfaces 2 open source version provide a plugin for Eclipse .ICEfaces 2 EE provide a plugin for RAD 8.0.
    Trinidad based JSF V2 is beta status. And I read some demo code.IT maybe doesn't full support JSF V2 xhtml facelet. Oracle Eclipse for EE support trinidad .
  • X2G4_bhavani_shekhawat
    1 Post

‏2011-03-21T20:50:40Z  
    • yurykats
    • ‏2011-02-03T01:05:21Z
    I don't think ICEFaces itself has fees. There is a "for fee" version of IceFaces (EE) and there is a "for fee" support, but the base library itself is free and open source, as far as I remember.

I can't recommend any specific library, as it really depends on the application needs and your own preferences. I consider Trinidad, IceFaces and RichFaces to be solid libraries.
    Did u try prime faces?
  • RMalay
    RMalay
    2 Posts

‏2011-04-01T16:27:24Z  
    • yurykats
    • ‏2010-07-29T20:49:41Z
    If the new application is to use JSF 2.0, then yes.
    Since Enhanced Faces Components are not going to be migrated to JSF 2.0, we were looking into using JSF 2.0 for our new application development with other third party components.

Now, if we are using RSA / RAD as the IDE, is there a way to use JSF 2.0 with Websphere 7.x ? RSA 8.0 does not let us pick JSF 2.0 with Websphere 7.0.

Is there a way to use JSF 2.0 with Websphere 7.0 ?

It is a very difficult situation for many who are using IBM products - can't use Enhanced faces because they won't be upgraded to JSF 2.0, can't use JSF 2.0 because WAS 8 is still in beta.

Appreciate any suggestions in this matter.

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-04T05:12:50Z  
    • RMalay
    • ‏2011-04-01T16:27:24Z
    Since Enhanced Faces Components are not going to be migrated to JSF 2.0, we were looking into using JSF 2.0 for our new application development with other third party components.

Now, if we are using RSA / RAD as the IDE, is there a way to use JSF 2.0 with Websphere 7.x ? RSA 8.0 does not let us pick JSF 2.0 with Websphere 7.0.

Is there a way to use JSF 2.0 with Websphere 7.0 ?

It is a very difficult situation for many who are using IBM products - can't use Enhanced faces because they won't be upgraded to JSF 2.0, can't use JSF 2.0 because WAS 8 is still in beta.

Appreciate any suggestions in this matter.

Thanks
    Though, JSF 2.0 is best supported with WAS 8.0 in RAD 8.0, I believe, you can still use JSF 2.0 with WAS 7.x. The additional thing that you would have to do is to bring JSF 2.0 (and other essential) library jars into your project on your own (manually).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2011-05-20T10:01:53Z  
    Though, JSF 2.0 is best supported with WAS 8.0 in RAD 8.0, I believe, you can still use JSF 2.0 with WAS 7.x. The additional thing that you would have to do is to bring JSF 2.0 (and other essential) library jars into your project on your own (manually).
    Easier said than done. Been in this limbo for weeks already. Apparently even if you are able to load JSF 2.0 any application that uses composite components is rendered broken.