Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-05-25T20:44:03Z by PeteHelgren
PeteHelgren
PeteHelgren
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Install Linux on JS12 using IVM

‏2010-05-19T14:33:02Z |
I have been attempting to install SLES11 on a JS12 blade. I have done this somewhat successfully before but I am not making much progress at the moment. The issue is getting a terminal window to display so that I can begin the install process. The JS12 implementation guide says to start a Remote control session using the AMM (easy to do) and then activate the defined partition in the IVM (also easy to do), and use the IVM option to "Open a Terminal Window" (another easy step). So far so good. The part that doesn't seem to be working is the "terminal window" popup in the IVM that is supposed to appear to authenticate only appears for a second or two and then it disappears without an opportunity to log in. The AMM Remote Control terminal window changes from displaying the VIOS console to a blank screen. Seems to me that in my last successful attempt at installing Linux using the IVM I saw all the installation prompts in the remote console of the AMM but I can't be sure.

I don't know whether to go to a blade forum, and IVM forum, a Linux forum or an AMM forum since all seem to be involved, one way or another.

If nothing else, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Pete
Updated on 2010-05-25T20:44:03Z at 2010-05-25T20:44:03Z by PeteHelgren
  • PeteHelgren
    PeteHelgren
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Install Linux on JS12 using IVM

‏2010-05-24T18:56:39Z  in response to PeteHelgren
    The solution (or work around) is to use IE instead of Firefox. IBM support refused to solve the issue for me because they assumed (wrongly) that it was a LINUX issue and I didn't have a Linux support contract. With much trial and error I was able to narrow it down to a browser issue and was able to connect to the terminal window by using IE8 instead of FF.

I am not very hopeful that IBM will solve the IVM issue but I'll post this here in case some other poor soul gets rejected by IBM support and is looking for a "free" solution.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      706 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-25T19:17:33Z  in response to PeteHelgren
      Hi Pete, thanks for noting this issue. It's possible this is related to the browsers supported for the version of IVM. What version of IVM and Firefox were you using when you saw this issue?
      Thanks,
      Jeff
      • PeteHelgren
        PeteHelgren
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-25T20:44:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Jeff,

How do I find the IVM level? I have VIOS 2.1.3.10-FP-23 installed but I don't see a place that shows the IVM version.

FF, on all my machines, is at 3.6.3.