Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-07-04T22:05:10Z by ScottAmbler
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3545 Posts

Pinned topic Swimlanes in Activity Diagram

‏2010-05-09T10:39:48Z |
How to know which swimlane is needed in an Activity diagram for Business Use Case Diagram? More than workers and actors for that use case can we add other swimlane? If we add other swimlane shall we add the in Bussiness Use Case Diagram later?
Can we draw an activity diagram for all use cases? or one activity diagram for each use case must be drawn?
Thanks for any help.
Updated on 2010-07-04T22:05:10Z at 2010-07-04T22:05:10Z by ScottAmbler
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    158 Posts

Re: Swimlanes in Activity Diagram

‏2010-06-04T00:11:32Z  
    You might find my overview of UML activity diagrams at http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/activityDiagram.htm to be helpful.

You should add a swimlane if it improves the understandability of your diagram, and that will vary based on what you're trying to convey and who your audience is.

You should draw an activity diagram if it adds value to whatever you're doing. That also depends on the situation.

• Scott
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3545 Posts

‏2010-06-07T18:35:58Z  
    You might find my overview of UML activity diagrams at http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/activityDiagram.htm to be helpful.

You should add a swimlane if it improves the understandability of your diagram, and that will vary based on what you're trying to convey and who your audience is.

You should draw an activity diagram if it adds value to whatever you're doing. That also depends on the situation.

• Scott
    I have looked at the web page you refer to. The idea to leave out decision symbols is interesting, but not UML. The whole point in using UML is to have a common language. The last figure (number 4) deviates from UML in several ways:

• the accept event and send signal symbols are not drawn correctly
    • there should not be a circle at the point where the transformation is connected to the object flow
    • the name of an object node should not be underlined

These are small issues, but a tutorial (kind of) should fully comply to UML.

Best regards,
    Hans.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3545 Posts

‏2010-06-07T18:47:01Z  
    If you draw an activity diagram to illustrate or define a business use case diagram, I would recommend only two swimlanes: the business actor and the subject (i.e. the business itself), as a black box.

If you draw an activity diagram to illustrate or define the business use case realization, I would recommend one swimlane for each business actor and each business worker that participates in that b.u.c.

Instead of swimlanes, it might be more convenient (graphically) to put the name of the business actor/worker inside each action symbol, between parenthesis, just above the action name (see attachment).

Hope this helps.
    Hans.

You may read more about business modeling etc. in my white paper called "Pitfalls using UML in RUP" at http://rup.admiraal.ws
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    158 Posts

‏2010-06-20T19:18:10Z  
    I have looked at the web page you refer to. The idea to leave out decision symbols is interesting, but not UML. The whole point in using UML is to have a common language. The last figure (number 4) deviates from UML in several ways:

• the accept event and send signal symbols are not drawn correctly
    • there should not be a circle at the point where the transformation is connected to the object flow
    • the name of an object node should not be underlined

These are small issues, but a tutorial (kind of) should fully comply to UML.

Best regards,
    Hans.
    Some points:
    1. I should update the diagram to the current version of UML at some point, but it's not a high priority on my list. The accept and send symbols are definitely not right anymore. The circle was correct notation at the time the diagram was created.
    2. Objects should be underlined.
    3. You don't need to use the entire language.
    4. The real goal of modeling is to communicate. If the language gets in the way you need to modify it.
    5. In the end, very few people care about the notation, hence the lack of discussion on this topic I suspect.

• Scott
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3545 Posts

‏2010-06-22T06:27:54Z  
    Some points:
    1. I should update the diagram to the current version of UML at some point, but it's not a high priority on my list. The accept and send symbols are definitely not right anymore. The circle was correct notation at the time the diagram was created.
    2. Objects should be underlined.
    3. You don't need to use the entire language.
    4. The real goal of modeling is to communicate. If the language gets in the way you need to modify it.
    5. In the end, very few people care about the notation, hence the lack of discussion on this topic I suspect.

• Scott
    Yes, in practice, you may use UML pragmatically, but at your web site, I would at least expect a disclaimer, that your examples are not UML compliant.

> Objects should be underlined

Yes, but here you draw object nodes. The labels are types and should not be underlined. Please read the UML 2.0 specifications.
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    158 Posts

‏2010-07-04T22:05:10Z  
    Yes, in practice, you may use UML pragmatically, but at your web site, I would at least expect a disclaimer, that your examples are not UML compliant.

> Objects should be underlined

Yes, but here you draw object nodes. The labels are types and should not be underlined. Please read the UML 2.0 specifications.
    Actually, if you're referring to LabelledSchedules in Fig 4 then it's an unnamed object, so I guess a colon would be missing. I'll do an update, not that it's really a critical issue.