Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-07T00:03:38Z by SystemAdmin
ashoon
ashoon
66 Posts

Pinned topic host alias' and secondary addresses

‏2010-04-28T20:50:06Z |
A question was posed recently in discussions and I was wondering if I can bind a host alias to a secondary address on a NIC card?

In short they want to have each project assigned an IP address but in reality it's just one specific NIC card - I don't see any reason it can't be done... any thoughts? Also as a secondary question I assume that the multiple host alias to IP addresses/port combinations can be initialized against the same NIC card?
Updated on 2012-12-07T00:03:38Z at 2012-12-07T00:03:38Z by SystemAdmin
  • mmatamoros
    mmatamoros
    60 Posts

Re: host alias' and secondary addresses

‏2010-04-28T21:08:02Z  
    The are to parts to you question:

• Host aliases are system wide setting, meaning that all and any service can use them and are not bound to any IP / interface on the appliance.

• If you want to route a specific host alias (actually it's IP) through one IP (interface) what you need to do is to set static routes on the interface menu. just set the mask of the ip to x.x.x.x/32 so that the only that ip is routed (you can use other masks to route whole network segments)to where you want it but this is directly related to you network addressing.

Hope this helps
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1348 Posts

‏2010-04-29T18:02:12Z  
    I do exactly this. In addition to the primary IP for the eth0 interface,additional IPs have been assigned which I have configured as secondary IPs for eth0. There is a host alias for each IP, and different domains on the appliance have the same application deployed. The FSH's local addresses specify a host alias that has been assigned to that domain, so there are no port conflicts.

Regards,
    Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2012-12-07T00:03:38Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2010-04-29T18:02:12Z
    I do exactly this. In addition to the primary IP for the eth0 interface,additional IPs have been assigned which I have configured as secondary IPs for eth0. There is a host alias for each IP, and different domains on the appliance have the same application deployed. The FSH's local addresses specify a host alias that has been assigned to that domain, so there are no port conflicts.

Regards,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

Does the traffic that comes in on the secondary IP leave on that secondary IP and not the actual physical NIC IP that the secondary IP resides on? Considering Destination Routing is disabled and Interface Isolation is set accordingly?

Thanks,
    Kirby