• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-11T00:08:25Z by Trey
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic DP MQ Load balancing Design

‏2010-04-18T14:59:19Z |
Hi all,

I am pretty much aware of Load balancing with F5 and spraying the traffic across the DP boxes for http/ https traffic. But the scenario I am handling I have frnt end MQ and need to replicate it to 5 queue at back end. I can handle it using Xslt by (dp: Url open ) Extension if is one 1MQ -- >1 DP box --- > 5MQs .

My question here is I have 3 DP's and have to share the Load. Can some one throw light on how to handle this stuff. If I configure same MQ FSH on 3 Dp's which DP will make the Poll.

Thanks for yours time in Advance.

MJ.
Updated on 2010-04-19T19:14:40Z at 2010-04-19T19:14:40Z by swlinn
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1395 Posts

Re: DP MQ Load balancing Design

‏2010-04-19T19:14:40Z  
    On the front side, if you have your three appliances all listening to the same QM/Get Queue with a MQ FSH, then the load will be distributed across the three appliances based upon how MQ will satisy the multiple GET requests. It may not be a round robin type of distribution, but at high loads it will definitely get close to even.

On the back side, you have two choices. The one I would recommend is to have the backside request queue clustered in MQ. That way, you can PUT your request to the appliance's local QM, but MQ will recognize that the request queue is clustered and MQ will workload manage the requests to your 5 backend queue managers. MQ will handle failover if a QM is down or if the queue is put disabled on one of the QMs. The other choice for MQ would be to use dynamic MQ URLs that utilize a load balancer group with the hostnames/IPs of your MQ servers. It will handle the distribution like any other load balancer group. Health checks in the LBG will not work with MQ server. However, I don't believe the latter approach will handle a queue that is put disabled, thus why I recommend letting MQ handle this.

Regards,
    Steve
  • Vijay97
    Vijay97
    52 Posts

‏2014-06-06T14:28:39Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2010-04-19T19:14:40Z
    On the front side, if you have your three appliances all listening to the same QM/Get Queue with a MQ FSH, then the load will be distributed across the three appliances based upon how MQ will satisy the multiple GET requests. It may not be a round robin type of distribution, but at high loads it will definitely get close to even.

On the back side, you have two choices. The one I would recommend is to have the backside request queue clustered in MQ. That way, you can PUT your request to the appliance's local QM, but MQ will recognize that the request queue is clustered and MQ will workload manage the requests to your 5 backend queue managers. MQ will handle failover if a QM is down or if the queue is put disabled on one of the QMs. The other choice for MQ would be to use dynamic MQ URLs that utilize a load balancer group with the hostnames/IPs of your MQ servers. It will handle the distribution like any other load balancer group. Health checks in the LBG will not work with MQ server. However, I don't believe the latter approach will handle a queue that is put disabled, thus why I recommend letting MQ handle this.

Regards,
    Steve

Hi Steve,

I have a similar requirement.

Do you have any updates with the new version of appliances. 

I require the sequence to be maintained on the DP appliances. (like Round robin).

Is there anyway we can achieve this, at DP end or MQ end.

Thanks

Vijay

Updated on 2014-06-06T14:29:18Z at 2014-06-06T14:29:18Z by Vijay97
  • Trey
    Trey
    227 Posts

‏2014-06-11T00:08:25Z  

The algorithm is not based in DataPower but in MQ clustering.  There is an IBM MQ support person blog with a nice little initial primer here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/aimsupport/entry/websphere_mq_clustering_workload_balancing_dick_hamilton14?lang=en

there is a link to the algorithm information in this.  There is no hard round robin setting.

Let me know if you need anything else.