• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-10-14T03:29:52Z by csumner
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic DP MQ Load balancing Design

‏2010-04-18T14:59:19Z |
Hi all,

I am pretty much aware of Load balancing with F5 and spraying the traffic across the DP boxes for http/ https traffic. But the scenario I am handling I have frnt end MQ and need to replicate it to 5 queue at back end. I can handle it using Xslt by (dp: Url open ) Extension if is one 1MQ -- >1 DP box --- > 5MQs .

My question here is I have 3 DP's and have to share the Load. Can some one throw light on how to handle this stuff. If I configure same MQ FSH on 3 Dp's which DP will make the Poll.

Thanks for yours time in Advance.

MJ.
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1398 Posts

Re: DP MQ Load balancing Design

‏2010-04-19T19:14:40Z  
    On the front side, if you have your three appliances all listening to the same QM/Get Queue with a MQ FSH, then the load will be distributed across the three appliances based upon how MQ will satisy the multiple GET requests. It may not be a round robin type of distribution, but at high loads it will definitely get close to even.

On the back side, you have two choices. The one I would recommend is to have the backside request queue clustered in MQ. That way, you can PUT your request to the appliance's local QM, but MQ will recognize that the request queue is clustered and MQ will workload manage the requests to your 5 backend queue managers. MQ will handle failover if a QM is down or if the queue is put disabled on one of the QMs. The other choice for MQ would be to use dynamic MQ URLs that utilize a load balancer group with the hostnames/IPs of your MQ servers. It will handle the distribution like any other load balancer group. Health checks in the LBG will not work with MQ server. However, I don't believe the latter approach will handle a queue that is put disabled, thus why I recommend letting MQ handle this.

Regards,
    Steve
  • Vijay97
    Vijay97
    62 Posts

‏2014-06-06T14:28:39Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2010-04-19T19:14:40Z
    On the front side, if you have your three appliances all listening to the same QM/Get Queue with a MQ FSH, then the load will be distributed across the three appliances based upon how MQ will satisy the multiple GET requests. It may not be a round robin type of distribution, but at high loads it will definitely get close to even.

On the back side, you have two choices. The one I would recommend is to have the backside request queue clustered in MQ. That way, you can PUT your request to the appliance's local QM, but MQ will recognize that the request queue is clustered and MQ will workload manage the requests to your 5 backend queue managers. MQ will handle failover if a QM is down or if the queue is put disabled on one of the QMs. The other choice for MQ would be to use dynamic MQ URLs that utilize a load balancer group with the hostnames/IPs of your MQ servers. It will handle the distribution like any other load balancer group. Health checks in the LBG will not work with MQ server. However, I don't believe the latter approach will handle a queue that is put disabled, thus why I recommend letting MQ handle this.

Regards,
    Steve

Hi Steve,

I have a similar requirement.

Do you have any updates with the new version of appliances. 

I require the sequence to be maintained on the DP appliances. (like Round robin).

Is there anyway we can achieve this, at DP end or MQ end.

Thanks

Vijay

• Trey
    Trey
    227 Posts

‏2014-06-11T00:08:25Z  

The algorithm is not based in DataPower but in MQ clustering.  There is an IBM MQ support person blog with a nice little initial primer here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/aimsupport/entry/websphere_mq_clustering_workload_balancing_dick_hamilton14?lang=en

there is a link to the algorithm information in this.  There is no hard round robin setting.

Let me know if you need anything else.

• vinod marisarla
    vinod marisarla
    13 Posts

‏2017-10-13T14:00:56Z  

Hello Experts,

I have a requirement that needs to place messages in two message queues using round robin process.

Flow is from DataPower -----> Provider

An MPG will be configured at DataPower Side

There are two queue managers at Provider side.

DataPower needs to send requests to those two queue Managers in Round Robin method.

How can I achieve this . Please share your suggestions .

Thanks in advance .

• csumner
    csumner
    270 Posts

‏2017-10-14T03:29:52Z  

First, please don't re-use old topics. Please start new ones so the forum monitors can easily see when there has not been any responses.

DataPower can only use its Load Balancer Group implementation to load balance between HTTP back-end servers. The best practice is to use MQ's Clustering mechanism to load balance between Queue Managers as noted above in the previous post.

If there is no ability to use MQ Clustering, then you can create two MPG services where each MPG routes to one of the Queue Managers.  A third MPG which handles inbound traffic will route to one load balancer group. The members of this group will be the two MPG Services. So in effect, DataPower will be load balancing (using round robin) internally to itself and thence to the two Queue Managers.

--Charlie