I created a bunch of views in one module and propagated them to numerous other modules using the excellent CopyView DXL. However, I was a bit too enthusiastic and now have several unrequired views that need to be deleted from all modules.
Has anyone developed a DXL that can do this, preferably one with a nice interface that allows you to pick the modules and views. I could hack CopyView, but I hate to re-invent the wheel...
This topic has been locked.
8 replies Latest Post - 2012-12-19T13:27:46Z by mcnairk
Pinned topic Deleting multiple views from multiple modules
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
Updated on 2012-12-19T13:27:46Z at 2012-12-19T13:27:46Z by mcnairk
Bob_Swan 270001RERS31 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Deleting multiple views from multiple modules2010-04-21T07:12:57Z in response to mcnairkAttached is my effort for this task. It may make a starter for you.
It was written to delete specific views from modules being shared with stakeholders.
Sorry there is no 'nice interface', it was a one off for a dedicated task.
You have to detail the views within the code, it then deletes them from all modules in the current project.
It shouldn't be too hard to add some code to exclude specific modules.
Re: Deleting multiple views from multiple modules2010-04-21T17:50:43Z in response to Bob_SwanBob,
With the following tweaks, I was able to get your DXL to do exactly what I needed.
- Hard code killist of views to be deleted (obviously)
- Comment out procedure "MakeMinView" (not needed by me)
- Only process modules in current folder rather than entire project
I noted the following issues:
- User must be logged on as the Administrator so they have write access to all views
- The comment describing "ReportRemainingViews" seems incorrect; this procedure actually reports the remaining views in the module
I added the following to the wish list:
- offer option to only process current folder (hard coded in my version)
- create new log file for each run (e.g. append date/time stamp) rather than overwriting it
- explicitly state in log if the view does not exist
- explicitly state in log if the view could not be deleted
llandale 270001QM9N2939 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Deleting multiple views from multiple modules2010-04-21T19:43:02Z in response to mcnairkIts not just that the Administrator can delete views, its also that the Administrator can even SEE them. 'Private' views are invisible to everybody except the user and the Administrator.
Re: Deleting multiple views from multiple modules2010-04-21T20:16:15Z in response to mcnairkI forgot to mention that if you provide an empty kill list, this DXL will simply log all views in all formal modules, which is useful in itself. I found a lot of junk views that I was not aware of...
SystemAdmin 110000D4XK3180 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Deleting multiple views from multiple modules2012-12-18T19:15:59Z in response to mcnairkKen,
Thank you for providing notes on your edits. Is it possible to post your new version? I realize I am responding to messages that are two years old, however, it is worth asking. :)