• Latest Post - ‏2010-04-15T16:27:22Z by SystemAdmin
Diegoip
Diegoip
7 Posts

Pinned topic Cognos Analysis For Excel - CAFE

‏2010-04-14T20:06:10Z |
Hi,

Some colleagues are having the next doubts about this product:
  • If they applied a filter in an excel's sheet and then they close it. When they open it again. the data in the sheet is filtered or not ? (This question is because with GO! Office the filter get lost)

• How is the way an user can have the data updated if the user is not in the company network which it has the data base?

• CAFE can apply the next Excel's business functions?
a. Freeze panel's
b. Dynamic Filters
c. Pages dynamic names
d. etx.

Is anyone can help I'll be very grateful

Regards

Diego
Updated on 2010-04-15T16:27:22Z at 2010-04-15T16:27:22Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

Re: Cognos Analysis For Excel - CAFE

‏2010-04-14T21:49:07Z  
    CAFE is basically a Lite version of Analysis Studio for Excel. Excel Filters are removed on data refresh. Not sure what you mean by pages.

All in all don't expect a ton of excel options to be integrated with CAFE or GO Office.

If you want users who aren't on the internal network to be able to update their data in excel then they either need to connect through VPN or you have to open Cognos Up to the web and have users login. (I can't imagine IT would want to open up the internal Cognos data to the external Web. VPN access would be reccommended I think.
  • Diegoip
    Diegoip
    7 Posts

‏2010-04-15T00:56:23Z  
    CAFE is basically a Lite version of Analysis Studio for Excel. Excel Filters are removed on data refresh. Not sure what you mean by pages.

All in all don't expect a ton of excel options to be integrated with CAFE or GO Office.

If you want users who aren't on the internal network to be able to update their data in excel then they either need to connect through VPN or you have to open Cognos Up to the web and have users login. (I can't imagine IT would want to open up the internal Cognos data to the external Web. VPN access would be reccommended I think.
    Hi!!

Thank you for the answer. I was talking with a colleague and he told me it is possible to maintain the filter is with applied it in Cognos. I didn't you use the tool yet but do you know something about it?

Thank you for your time answering this comment I appreciate a lot.

Regards

Diego
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

‏2010-04-15T16:27:22Z  
    • Diegoip
    • ‏2010-04-15T00:56:23Z
    Hi!!

Thank you for the answer. I was talking with a colleague and he told me it is possible to maintain the filter is with applied it in Cognos. I didn't you use the tool yet but do you know something about it?

Thank you for your time answering this comment I appreciate a lot.

Regards

Diego
    Ive been evaluating CAFE as a possible option for some users who like Excel. Its definetly limited compared to Report Studio or Analysis Studio but it does refresh data from your BI Content in Excel. GO Office allows you to do a little more as far as reports are concerned but again I have found that you are still somewhat limited as to how it brings the report into excel.

The filtering must be done using CAFE not Excel and it will work.