grka
grka
3 Posts

Pinned topic Help about installing GPFS

‏2010-04-11T19:44:13Z |
Hello,

Am having some problems installing gpfs. Am using Scientific Linux 5.4

All ready i have done

1. echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)" > /etc/redhat-release

command because i have read that this could be a problem.

I Have installed gpfs rpm-s...So now it time to install portability layer.

When i type make Autoconfig command i get this:
  1. make Autoconfig
cd /usr/lpp/mmfs/src/config; ./configure --genenvonly; /usr/bin/cpp -P def.mk.proto > ./def.mk; exit $? || exit 1
Cannot find a valid kernel include dir
def.mk.proto:12:19: error: env.mcr: No such file or directory
make: *** Autoconfig Error 1
Can someone please help me? :)
Updated on 2012-08-30T11:08:04Z at 2012-08-30T11:08:04Z by bshahi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2092 Posts

Re: Help about installing GPFS

‏2010-04-12T09:43:36Z  
    You need a bunch of extra RPM's that are not installed by default to build the compatibility layer these include from memory

imake
    gcc-c++
    kernel-headers
    kernel-devel

You error message indicates that you don't have at least the kernel-headers RPM for your running kernel installed.

Note that you can get away with appending "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)" to the end of /etc/redhat-release. At least with CentOS it makes the updates to grub.conf happier when a new kernel is installed.
  • grka
    grka
    3 Posts

‏2010-04-12T11:07:06Z  
    You need a bunch of extra RPM's that are not installed by default to build the compatibility layer these include from memory

imake
    gcc-c++
    kernel-headers
    kernel-devel

You error message indicates that you don't have at least the kernel-headers RPM for your running kernel installed.

Note that you can get away with appending "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)" to the end of /etc/redhat-release. At least with CentOS it makes the updates to grub.conf happier when a new kernel is installed.
    Hi,

I have installed kernel-devel and i get next outputs (see atachment).
    This are the rpm-s.

gpfs.base-3.3.0-0.x86_64.rpm
    gpfs.gpl-3.3.0-0.noarch.rpm
    gpfs.docs-3.3.0-0.noarch.rpm
    gpfs.gui-3.3.0-0.x86_64.rpm
    gpfs.msg.en_US-3.3.0-0.noarch.rpm

And folowing tutorial on http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/hpccentral/GPFS+Quick+Start+Guide+for+for+Linux.

When i want to run command

1. mmcrcluster -N node01:quorum,node02:quorum -p node01 -s node02 -r /usr/bin/ssh -R /usr/bin/scp

nothing is happening...When i tab for commands there is just mmount...

Can some one give me a link to detail installation of GPFS please.
    Thank you, Nikola

Attachments

• sdenham
    sdenham
    70 Posts

‏2010-04-12T13:52:32Z  
    • grka
    • ‏2010-04-12T11:07:06Z
    Hi,

This are the rpm-s.

And folowing tutorial on http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/hpccentral/GPFS+Quick+Start+Guide+for+for+Linux.

1. mmcrcluster -N node01:quorum,node02:quorum -p node01 -s node02 -r /usr/bin/ssh -R /usr/bin/scp

Thank you, Nikola
    You don't want to be running at 3.3.0.0 - that was not a viable release. Download the update package from:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/gpfs/home.html

3.3.0.5 is the current service level.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2092 Posts

‏2010-04-12T15:58:58Z  
    • grka
    • ‏2010-04-12T11:07:06Z
    Hi,

This are the rpm-s.

Thank you, Nikola
    Can you ssh without passwords between all the boxes?

You also need to specify a cluster name with -C I believe.

Checking on my boxes I have put the type down as manager-quorum, in the command you have given there are no manager nodes, so that is not going to work I believe.

From a quick Google this looks reasonably complete

http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Storm_GPFS_Install

One tip I would suggest is using a NodeFile to hold the node descriptions, and likewise when creating your NSD's and save them. Makes referring back to what you did easier.
  • grka
    grka
    3 Posts

‏2010-04-14T13:40:13Z  
    Can you ssh without passwords between all the boxes?

You also need to specify a cluster name with -C I believe.

Checking on my boxes I have put the type down as manager-quorum, in the command you have given there are no manager nodes, so that is not going to work I believe.

From a quick Google this looks reasonably complete

http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Storm_GPFS_Install

One tip I would suggest is using a NodeFile to hold the node descriptions, and likewise when creating your NSD's and save them. Makes referring back to what you did easier.
    Hi...I have successfully installed GPFS.I think that configuration won`t be a problem to me ;)
    Any way last link was of big help to me.I recommend it ....

Thank`s a lot for help.
    Best regards, Nikola
  • bshahi
    bshahi
    1 Post

‏2012-08-30T11:08:04Z  

imake
    gcc-c++
    kernel-headers
    kernel-devel

Hi Jonathan Buzzard
    Thanks a lot, This solved my issue, I was adding one Linux node in the running AIX gpfs cluster and facing the following error in the mmfs:

Fri Aug 24 15:30:29 IST 2012: runmmfs starting
    Removing old /var/adm/ras/mmfs.log.* files:
    Unloading modules from /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64/extra
    runmmfs: 6027-1235 The /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64/extra/mmfslinux.ko kernel extension does not exist.
    runmmfs: 6027-1236 Unable to verify kernel/module configuration.
    Loading modules from /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64/extra
    runmmfs: 6027-1235 The /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64/extra/mmfslinux.ko kernel extension does not exist.
    runmmfs: 6027-1236 Unable to verify kernel/module configuration.
    Fri Aug 24 15:30:30 IST 2012 runmmfs: error in loading or unloading the mmfs kernel extension
    Fri Aug 24 15:30:30 IST 2012 runmmfs: stopping GPFS
    I was not able to run "make Autoconfig, make World and make InstallImages" command and after installing the RPMs, it solved the issue. Thanks a lot once again.
    Shashi
  • czjing
    czjing
    1 Post

‏2015-03-06T07:03:37Z  

imake
    gcc-c++
    kernel-headers
    kernel-devel

Yes,I have the same problem that "grka" says, and it's true that the linux node doesn't have many rpms:

imake
    gcc-c++
    kernel-headers
    kernel-devel

Use yum list find if system have these packs,if not, use yum install (packname) install the absense pack , then run " make Autoconfig", this problem will be resolved.