Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-04-09T22:10:23Z by JohnKelty
JohnKelty
JohnKelty
3 Posts

Pinned topic NullPointerException doing an Analysis

‏2010-04-08T18:34:14Z |
When I try to use the Migration Tool to run an analysis of my workspace, I get the NullPointerException described in the attachment. This is for IBM Rational Software Analyzer Enterprise Edition Version: 7.1.0. This is our first time using the tool, and this error has happened whenever we try the analysis.

Thanks.
Updated on 2010-04-09T22:10:23Z at 2010-04-09T22:10:23Z by JohnKelty
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

Re: NullPointerException doing an Analysis

‏2010-04-08T19:36:24Z  
    The exception appears to be coming from one of the rules that ships with IBM Rational Software Analyzer and is unrelated to the migration rules. I've contacted the RSAR team to look at the exception. In the mean time, when you run the scan try unselecting all the rules in the "Java Data Flow Analysis" category, or use one of the predefined rule sets to select only the migration-related rules.

Patrick
  • JohnKelty
    JohnKelty
    3 Posts

‏2010-04-09T15:52:56Z  
    The exception appears to be coming from one of the rules that ships with IBM Rational Software Analyzer and is unrelated to the migration rules. I've contacted the RSAR team to look at the exception. In the mean time, when you run the scan try unselecting all the rules in the "Java Data Flow Analysis" category, or use one of the predefined rule sets to select only the migration-related rules.

Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response. Unselecting those rules did in fact solve the problem. I haven't tried all the other selections I was originally using because I run out of memory, but so far as I've been breaking them down, they do seem to be working for us.

At this time, can you give any guidence as to which items in Java Data Flow Analysis we can use and which will cause the NullPointerException? We could do it in groups of rules as necessary, but I was wondering if you had any info to speed up that trial and error process.

Thanks,
    John
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2010-04-09T21:43:26Z  
    • JohnKelty
    • ‏2010-04-09T15:52:56Z
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response. Unselecting those rules did in fact solve the problem. I haven't tried all the other selections I was originally using because I run out of memory, but so far as I've been breaking them down, they do seem to be working for us.

At this time, can you give any guidence as to which items in Java Data Flow Analysis we can use and which will cause the NullPointerException? We could do it in groups of rules as necessary, but I was wondering if you had any info to speed up that trial and error process.

Thanks,
    John
    I suspect that all the rules under Java Data Flow Analysis will be affected by this problem. I can't provide much help beyond that because as I said before, this rule is part of Rational Software Analyzer and isn't one of the rules that comes with the Migration Toolkit. For the purpose of migration, you won't need any of the rules in the Java Data Flow Analysis category. But since there is a problem, you should try the support channels for IBM Rational Software Analyzer Enterprise Edition.
  • JohnKelty
    JohnKelty
    3 Posts

‏2010-04-09T22:10:23Z  
    I suspect that all the rules under Java Data Flow Analysis will be affected by this problem. I can't provide much help beyond that because as I said before, this rule is part of Rational Software Analyzer and isn't one of the rules that comes with the Migration Toolkit. For the purpose of migration, you won't need any of the rules in the Java Data Flow Analysis category. But since there is a problem, you should try the support channels for IBM Rational Software Analyzer Enterprise Edition.
    Thank you. I'll work with the other analysis rules then.