28 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-15T18:01:01Z by SystemAdmin
geoer
geoer
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Director Core Services failed

‏2010-03-29T11:28:05Z |
Hi!

We are running System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 and want to montior our IBM Servers in the same application.
So I downloaded "IBM Hardware ManagementPack for Microsoft System Center OperationsManager 2007 Version2.2" and installed on the OpsMgr server.
And for the most of the servers it detects the hardware correct after installing director core services on the servers. But I got about 20 servers that generate an alert with the message
"NO instances exist in root\ibmsd:IBMPSG_ComponentHealth or failed to query"

Anyone that know what to do about it??
Updated on 2012-05-15T18:01:01Z at 2012-05-15T18:01:01Z by SystemAdmin
  • motaan
    motaan
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Director Core Services failed

‏2010-04-21T10:49:32Z  in response to geoer
    Hi geoer,

we have this Problem too. Do you know the problem by now? Did you have a solution for this problem?

Thanks.

Andy
  • dugbee
    dugbee
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-21T14:48:22Z  in response to geoer
    I'm getting the same thing here on various boxes.. any insight as to the cause?
    • geoer
      geoer
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-22T05:51:56Z  in response to dugbee
      Maybe there can be a problem with some versions of the director core services. I will try to reinstall some servers with the latest core services 5.20.31 and se if it solves the problem
      • chtada
        chtada
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-19T07:45:56Z  in response to geoer
        Hi geoer

Did you resolve the problem with the latest version of the core services?

I have the same problem.....
  • Panic101
    Panic101
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-06T13:31:57Z  in response to geoer
    We're having similar problems with getting IBM Director to work with SCOM.
    The Director agent software is so timeconsuming and unstable that we have decided to uninstall all agents and go with a different, non IBM, solution.

I can't believe that QA would even approve of such a bad product before it ever made it out the door.

I'm hoping for things to change but at the moment it is looking more and more unlikely..
    • Liet
      Liet
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-14T06:37:49Z  in response to Panic101
      Hey guys, we are also having the same problem with 6.2 platform agent on different servers, anyone found solution to this problem yet?

Panic101 - what kind of non IBM solution did you choose, can you point me to anything functional? I must admit that Director is way too buggy for my taste :-(

Thanks!
      • Rene2010
        Rene2010
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-26T12:09:04Z  in response to Liet
        We are also getting this error in SCOM on more and more servers:
        "NO instances exist in root\ibmsd:IBMPSG_ComponentHealth or failed to query"

We use IBM Director agent 5.20.3
        This seems to happen on Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 servers.
    • chtada
      chtada
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-19T07:50:32Z  in response to Panic101
      Hi Panic101

What kind of different solution you have chose to monitor your IBM hardware environment with SCOM?
      • TheDeepak
        TheDeepak
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-21T16:37:07Z  in response to chtada
        Has anyone found a resolution to this yet?
        • Triscus
          Triscus
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-25T13:05:18Z  in response to TheDeepak
          Hello Guys,

most of the Errors could be solved here in using the IBM Platform Agent v6.2 and installing the WMI Fixes for Windows 2003 and Windows 2008:

Look for KB933061 (W2k3)

and KB981314 (Hotfix is included in SP1 für W2k8)

Hope it helps.

Regards

Triscus
          • TheDeepak
            TheDeepak
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-28T16:35:02Z  in response to Triscus
            I've installed that HotFix, the server is Windows 2003 Sp2 with Systems Director Platform Agent 6.2.1.

Still having the issue as depicted in the picture below:

http://screencast.com/t/KGUatr15
            • SCOM
              SCOM
              3 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-19T13:34:54Z  in response to TheDeepak
              Hello,

have you found a resolution for this Problem.
              I have also the same Problem...
              • BrandonH
                BrandonH
                91 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-20T01:52:39Z  in response to SCOM
                As Craig stated, that best thing to do here would be to contact the IBM Systems Director (ISD) support team. For anyone that does not have IBM Systems Director support, you may be eligible for 90 day startup support. More information can be found here:
                https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/signup.do?lang=en_US&source=ibmsdreg

There have been multiple APAR fixes for errors similar to this as can be found in the ISD Knowledge Base (KB):
                http://www-01.ibm.com/support/search.wss?rs=0&tc=SGZ2Z3&r=100&sort=desc
                If I search the KB for wmicpa.exe, I find some of the following APARs, which "could" be related to what you're seeing.

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?q1=wmicpa.exe&rs=0&uid=isg1IC76473&context=SGZ2Z3&cs=utf-8&lang=&loc=en_US
                https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?q1=wmicpa.exe&rs=0&uid=isg1IC72788&context=SGZ2Z3&cs=utf-8&lang=&loc=en_US
                Brandon Harrell
                IBM Advanced Technical Skills
                • LeandroBC
                  LeandroBC
                  2 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-30T17:44:15Z  in response to BrandonH
                  In my company we have around thirty servers with this same behavior "No instances exist in root\ibmsd:IBMPSG_ComponentHealth or the WMI query failed". This always happened, since ISD version 5. In the past five years we changed the version of IBM Director, changed the servers, changed the Windows versions, tried a lot of patches, tried the antivirus exclusions, and the behavior is always the same. We have blade and xseries servers, and it happens with both. Now we are in IBM Director version 6.3. We have tried everything in these past five years, and nothing solved this, and I have never seen a solution documented for this.
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    13281 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-30T19:34:38Z  in response to LeandroBC
                    What are you using to access the data? Have you tried cimcli? Do you have any PMR numbers I can research and see what actions have been taken?

----
                    Craig Elliott
                    • LeandroBC
                      LeandroBC
                      2 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-31T15:40:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Hi Craig,

We are using IBM Hardware Management Pack v3.1.22.0 for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
                      When we try cimcli we are getting this result:

C:\Windows\system32>cimcli gi -n root/ibmsd IBMPSG_ComponentHealth
                      cimcli Pegasus Exception: connection timed out. Cmd = gi Object = IBMPSG_Compone
                      ntHealth

We don't have PNR numbers. We are from Brasil, and I contacted IBM Brasil and they answared me that they do not support IBM Director here. They said we have the redbooks, and the forums to look for support, but neither the redbooks neither the forums have a solution for this case.
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        13281 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-09T07:55:47Z  in response to LeandroBC
                        wow I'm 'glad' I'm not the only one, it seems that there are a lot of people with the same problems.

We're running OpsMgr 2007 R2 and all our IBM servers (x3550 M2/M3 & x3650 M2/M3) give the error every few days.
                        We 've installed IBM Systems Director Common Agent 6.3 on all our servers (Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 & x86 and Windows Server 2008 R2).
                        We've installed every possible WMI/SCOM related hotfix from Microsoft.
                        We've made all neccesary antivirus exclusions and we can verify that none of the IBM processes are scanned.

Still, the errors persist and the SCOM console reports:

Source: IBM Director Platform Agent (Core Services, or Level-1 Agent)
                        Alert Monitor: Regular health checkup monitor for IBM hardware management software failures
                        Alert Description: Management Software Failed
                        View Additional Knowledge: No instances exist in root\ibmsd:IBMPSG_ComponentHealth or the WMI query failed

Since our customer has an IBM hardware contract we've tried to open a case within IBM using that contract. For hardware related issues this works like a charm and within a few hours a (for example) broken disk is replaced. But now we have a software problem (with IBM software) and the guy on the phone couldn't log a case AND couldn't help me either. His "advice" was to post a message on the IBM forums and hope that someone reads your problem and comes with a solution. What kind of support is that?

I'm willing to test any beta software of fixes but please IBM, help us out here!
  • BasSterkenburg
    BasSterkenburg
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-07T06:57:04Z  in response to geoer
    We also used the 5.20.2/3 agent with OpsMgr Sp1 en R2. Same problem. Restarting the WMI services helps some time for a while.
  • Robski123
    Robski123
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-03-25T15:41:59Z  in response to geoer
    Just imported the 2.4.20.0 mp. Same here. Updated all IBM required software.

Anyone made a call with IBM support??
    • Hedius
      Hedius
      11 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-02T13:45:34Z  in response to Robski123
      Try to add exception to Antivirus for process wmicpa.exe
      • Hedius
        Hedius
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-20T07:23:05Z  in response to Hedius

Faulting application name: wmicpa.exe, version: 6.2.1.60, time stamp: 0x4cd599c3 Faulting module name: MSVCP80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.4940, time stamp: 0x4ca2b2c4 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000038db Faulting process id: 0x1a70 Faulting application start time: 0x01cbfd806690b208 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\IBM\icc\cimom\bin\wmicpa.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4940_none_d08cc06a442b34fc\MSVCP80.dll Report Id: cd793519-6b16-11e0-a9bd-5ef3fc0ab88b

Issue is still without a solution.
  • Hedius
    Hedius
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-20T07:27:40Z  in response to geoer
    This error and error from first post occur at the same time.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      13281 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-20T14:55:03Z  in response to Hedius
      You should report this to the IBM Help Center so they can determine exactly what is causing the issue.

----
      Craig Elliott
  • CHooper
    CHooper
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-23T20:34:05Z  in response to geoer
    Has there been any update on this issue? I have dozens of servers with this error. It's filling up event logs and constantly alerting in SCOM.
  • ganimedes
    ganimedes
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-01T11:59:05Z  in response to geoer
    We have same problem. Solution would be greatly appreciated.
    • JohnGrenfell
      JohnGrenfell
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-08T08:45:49Z  in response to ganimedes
      Hi,

I've also been getting the same error for some time and it does genereate a lot of SCOM noise. I've Also upgraded from SCOM 2007 to 2012 and get teh same issue.

"No instances exist in root\ibmsd:IBMPSG_ComponentHealth or the WMI query failed"

If anyone knows of a fix that would be great :o)

Thanks,

John
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13281 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-15T08:30:24Z  in response to JohnGrenfell
        So 12.500 reads, and still no solutions to this issue.

Is IBM even alive and want to support the product?
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          13281 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-15T18:01:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Have you tried using the WBEMTEST tool to see if the root\IBMSD namespace even exists on the SCOM/Director agents? Typically I have found that this class is sometimes missing and either a reinstall of Director agent is required or recompile of the MOF files for Director, though occasionally WMI has become corrupt and needs a rebuild.

Steps to use WBEMTEST are here, though you need to replace root\CIMV2 with root\IBMSD for this issue:
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692770.aspx