Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-30T12:52:52Z by sheky
Ed Odufeso
Ed Odufeso
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Fastback Mount

‏2010-03-28T16:53:59Z |
Trying to start up the fastback mount on windows 2003 server, the gui does not display? Is this included with the try and buy code?
Updated on 2012-08-30T12:52:52Z at 2012-08-30T12:52:52Z by sheky
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    68 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Fastback Mount

‏2010-03-28T18:38:56Z  in response to Ed Odufeso
    Hi, the FB mount is included with the FastBack Try & Buy code. It is a red windows tray icon in the lower right part of the taskbar, and will open up a gui when you click it. You need to be local to the system (if connecting via RDC use the /console or /admin flag with mstsc.exe) to see and use the icon. If your permissions are setup to restrict what local system account can access, this may also affect your ability to bring up the GUI.

-Christopher
    • Ed Odufeso
      Ed Odufeso
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-28T19:40:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks for that info. Yep i was RDPing, so used the /console, and viola the icon was present.
    • sheky
      sheky
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-30T12:52:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      It work fine with /admin too. thanks
  • go2gym
    go2gym
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-07T18:46:55Z  in response to Ed Odufeso
    Is there anything else that would cause the icon to not be there?

I don't have it on the FB server, or the FB client machines. On both, Fastback Mount service has been started with system account, and I've also tried using my admin account.

I've tried both the /console and the /admin switch. Nothing works.

Any ideas?
    • go2gym
      go2gym
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-07T18:59:58Z  in response to go2gym
      It works if I run it from command line with the -notservice option, but I need it running as a service.
      • MichaelSternberg
        MichaelSternberg
        24 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-06T17:29:59Z  in response to go2gym
        Are you running in Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 2008 ? In those OSes services are not allowed to interact with desktop (i.e. not allowed to present GUI). So Mount is running in two modes there. As a service it doesn't presents any GUI, but performs all requests sent from Administrative Command Line. When you're running Mount from "Start" menu - the service is automatically shut down and Mount is running as a regular application, presenting the GUI. When it closed, the service is restarted.
  • DavidMcClelland
    DavidMcClelland
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-12T13:28:39Z  in response to Ed Odufeso
    There's a bug with certain levels of FastBack which may explain what you're experiencing, whereby the FastBack Mount GUI crashes - I came across this earlier in the year. Invoking FastBack Mount from the CLI does still work, however.

Here's an example APAR - https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC70641

As I recall, a tell-tale sign was that lots of crash/dump files were created (possibly inside the FastBack Mount binaries directory) upon every failed attempt to open the GUI.

Hope that helps,

David Mc
    London, UK