IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2019-03-13T10:37:03Z by friesland
vsk83
vsk83
3 Posts

Pinned topic IBM-XIV array Logs for Module Ports Failure

‏2010-03-25T12:22:41Z |
Hi,

While running I/Os on XIV-2180 array, few of the array Module ports gone to FAILED state. Through XIV-GUI could log in to the array and checked Events logs but was not of that much useful. Could anyone help me in clarifying these questions:

1) How to collect XIV array logs which could really help me out in root-causing these Module-Port failures?

2) Through IBM-CLI, ran the command "system_logs_collect" which collected the logs in xx.tar.bz2 file and showed "module_name 1:Module:4", which I guess is that array has stored this log at Module 1. Is that correct? If so how to collect that log from that module?

It would be a great help to me.
Thanks.
Updated on 2010-03-26T11:03:50Z at 2010-03-26T11:03:50Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

Re: IBM-XIV array Logs for Module Ports Failure

‏2010-03-25T20:21:42Z  
    How to collect logs? Exactly as you did....using the system_logs_collect command.

The output is a .bz2 file that should be supplied to IBM for them to analyze.

The file name module_name 1:module:4 means it is collected by rack 1 module 4 (not module 1). Don't get caught up on the name, the .bz2 file should contain logs from all the modules in the machine. Just give the file to IBM.

As for the port failures, what firmware level is your XIV on?
    Whats attached to those ports?
    Have you placed a service call with IBM?

Regards,
    Anthony Vandewerdt
  • vsk83
    vsk83
    3 Posts

‏2010-03-26T10:30:06Z  
    How to collect logs? Exactly as you did....using the system_logs_collect command.

The output is a .bz2 file that should be supplied to IBM for them to analyze.

The file name module_name 1:module:4 means it is collected by rack 1 module 4 (not module 1). Don't get caught up on the name, the .bz2 file should contain logs from all the modules in the machine. Just give the file to IBM.

As for the port failures, what firmware level is your XIV on?
    Whats attached to those ports?
    Have you placed a service call with IBM?

Regards,
    Anthony Vandewerdt
    Thanks Anthony! So that means in my case, system log is collected by rack 1 module 4. But how to collect this log from module 4 of XIV or copy to a location from where I could access this .bz2 file? I am a newbie to XIV, so kindly bear :-)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2010-03-26T11:03:50Z  
    • vsk83
    • ‏2010-03-26T10:30:06Z
    Thanks Anthony! So that means in my case, system log is collected by rack 1 module 4. But how to collect this log from module 4 of XIV or copy to a location from where I could access this .bz2 file? I am a newbie to XIV, so kindly bear :-)
    So on your pc/laptop, install the latest XIV GUI.
    You can get version 2.4.2b from here:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=1319&context=STJTAG&context=HW3E0&dc=D400&q1=ssg1*&uid=ssg1S4000813&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

You should be able to use this GUI regardless of what version of XIV firmware your running (you haven't confirmed what version your box is on).

Log onto the GUI, select your XIV, then go to the Tools menu and choose 'collect support logs'.
    You should see all the system xrays that have been created and be able to download them, highlight an xray and click 'get'.
    Or you can click 'collect' to create a new one.

Regards,
    Anthony Vandewerdt
  • steph111
    steph111
    1 Post

‏2018-05-29T13:55:44Z  
    So on your pc/laptop, install the latest XIV GUI.
    You can get version 2.4.2b from here:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=1319&context=STJTAG&context=HW3E0&dc=D400&q1=ssg1*&uid=ssg1S4000813&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

You should be able to use this GUI regardless of what version of XIV firmware your running (you haven't confirmed what version your box is on).

Log onto the GUI, select your XIV, then go to the Tools menu and choose 'collect support logs'.
    You should see all the system xrays that have been created and be able to download them, highlight an xray and click 'get'.
    Or you can click 'collect' to create a new one.

Regards,
    Anthony Vandewerdt

Is there a way to retrieve directly from the command line without using the gui? like a system_logs_get command or something like that?

Thank you,

Stephanie

• friesland
    friesland
    65 Posts

‏2019-03-13T10:37:03Z  

Info from: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STJTAG/com.ibm.help.xiv.doc/docs/xiv_10.2.x_xcli.pdf

system_logs_send_file

file=FileName
    email_address=email
    smtpgw=SMTPGatewayName
    [ port=PortNumber ]
    [ sender_address=<SenderEmailAddress|DEFAULT> ]
    [ subject=SubjectFormat ]

Example:
    xcli -u -c XIV1 system_logs_send_file file=system_xray_2009-09-10-1800.tar.bz2
    email_address=ibm@ibm.com smtpgw=EmailServer