IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-11-02T04:11:17Z by gustavo.r.ortiz@accenture.com
Boba13
Boba13
2 Posts

Pinned topic Problem with database connection (ErrorCode = -4499)

‏2010-03-23T21:27:14Z |
Hi,

I am trying to make my first project with InfoSphere Warehouse v9.7.
Data source (DB2 database) is on one computer and I am trying to connect from another one where I installed ISWH client.

When I try to make connection, I've entered database name and IP in host field. Default value was left for port(50000).
Clicking on 'Test connection' button I got message 'No start database command was issued. ErrorCode = -4499, SQLState = 08001'

I couldn't find any description of this error code in documentation.
Installation ran without any problem.
My database with source data is started, as well as data and application servers.
Data and application server are on third computer. I am using Windows OS (XP and 2003 Server).
Updated on 2011-11-02T04:11:17Z at 2011-11-02T04:11:17Z by gustavo.r.ortiz@accenture.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    203 Posts

Re: Problem with database connection (ErrorCode = -4499)

‏2010-03-24T10:25:25Z  
    Hi,

The problem is probably a wrong port number.
    On the database server, look into /etc/services (Unix) or C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services (Windows) to find the correct port number. There should be a line like:

db2c_DB2 50000/tcp

where "DB2" is the database instance name.

Regards
    AW
  • Boba13
    Boba13
    2 Posts

‏2010-03-25T19:55:58Z  
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    My firewall was blocking the port. I added it as exception and it is not blocked anymore.
    But I still can't connect to database.
    I checked services file and I have this line.

After fixing firewall settings error is more descriptive, but I still don't know how to solve the problem.

Now it raises error 'Ping failed' with following details:

com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.yn: jcct4203011211http://3.57.86 A communication error occurred during operations on the connection's underlying socket, socket input stream,
    or socket output stream. Error location: Reply.fill(). Message: Connection reset. ERRORCODE=-4499, SQLSTATE=08001
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.bd.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.a.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.ab.b(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.ab.c(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.ab.v(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.bb.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.m(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.b(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.c(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2SimpleDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver.connect(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.ibm.db2.internal.luw.JDBCLUWConnectionFactory.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    ... 22 more
    May the problem be caused by database version with source data? It is v8.1, not v9.1 or later.

Regards,
    B
  • JP_Parkin
    JP_Parkin
    128 Posts

‏2010-03-26T16:13:59Z  
    • Boba13
    • ‏2010-03-25T19:55:58Z
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    My firewall was blocking the port. I added it as exception and it is not blocked anymore.
    But I still can't connect to database.
    I checked services file and I have this line.

After fixing firewall settings error is more descriptive, but I still don't know how to solve the problem.

Now it raises error 'Ping failed' with following details:

com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.yn: jcct4203011211http://3.57.86 A communication error occurred during operations on the connection's underlying socket, socket input stream,
    or socket output stream. Error location: Reply.fill(). Message: Connection reset. ERRORCODE=-4499, SQLSTATE=08001
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.bd.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.ab.b(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.ab.v(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.bb.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.m(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.c(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.b.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2SimpleDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver.connect(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.ibm.db2.internal.luw.JDBCLUWConnectionFactory.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    ... 22 more
    May the problem be caused by database version with source data? It is v8.1, not v9.1 or later.

Regards,
    B
    The version 9.5 clients do support version 8 servers, so it's probably not the versions that are triggering this problem.

Do you have any other remote JDBC or ODBC applications that are accessing the version 8.1 server?
    If so, are they also using port 50000 ?

Running the following two commands from your db2 8.1 server ( on the db2 command line for the instance ) may also help narrow down the problem.

db2set
    db2 get dbm cfg
    For the db2set command, you want to see the DB2COMM variable is set to TCPIP. That is, you should see a line in the output that look something like :
    DB2COMM=TCPIP

If it's not there, then issue the command and stop and start db2:
    db2set DB2COMM=TCPIP

For the db2 get dbm cfg command, you will see alot of output, but you are looking for the TCP/IP Service name ( SVCENAME variable ). The should either be a numeric port number, or the name of the service that Andreas mentioned in the previous posting ( something like db2c_DB2 ).

If the value is not set, then you can set it to an unused port with the command :
    db2 update dbm cfg using SVCENAME db2c_DB2

or substitute the appropriate port number of service name from the services file.
    Best regards,
    JP
    Updated on 2014-03-25T18:29:06Z at 2014-03-25T18:29:06Z by iron-man
  • gustavo.r.ortiz@accenture.com
    1 Post

‏2011-11-02T04:11:17Z  
    Hi,

The problem is probably a wrong port number.
    On the database server, look into /etc/services (Unix) or C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services (Windows) to find the correct port number. There should be a line like:

db2c_DB2 50000/tcp

where "DB2" is the database instance name.

Regards
    AW
    SOLVED
    you're correct try >> 50001