Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-06-07T19:30:19Z by SystemAdmin
joacar
joacar
3 Posts

Pinned topic How to get rid of numbered steps?

‏2010-03-18T14:23:58Z |
I find it easier to both write and read a usecase-flow if it has numbered steps.
This is not good though because uasecases changes all the time... After some days the references aren't correct anymore.

How do You, guys and gals, handle this in practical?
Do You refer to text instead? E.g "...In step 'The user enters his name and password' in basic flow, the user has entered wrong password...". Or do You use reference technique in the word-editor or something else?

Is it possible to rewrite this example into flows that aren't so dependant to stepnumbers? :

This basic flow starts when the user has started the computer
1. The system prompts the user to log on,
2. The user enters his name and password,
3. The system verifies the logon information,
The basic flow ends when the user is logged in to the system

Alternative flow 1 - Wrong password
In step2 in basic flow, the user has entered wrong password
1. Display proper message for the user
2. The user acknowledge the message
This alternativ flow ends by returning to step 1 in basic flow.

/Best Regards
Joakim Carlsson
Updated on 2010-06-07T19:30:19Z at 2010-06-07T19:30:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • RobExley
    RobExley
    18 Posts

Re: How to get rid of numbered steps?

‏2010-03-18T14:36:20Z  
    Hi Joakim,

Personally I have tended to use MS Word when writing the use-cases and made use of the 'cross-references' functionality to insert links between different flows/subflows and Word then handles if the numbering/naming is changed. I have tended to use a mixture of the numbers and step names in the references (Word allows both or either to be used).

Hope that helps.

-
    Rob Exley.
  • joacar
    joacar
    3 Posts

‏2010-03-18T16:25:48Z  
    • RobExley
    • ‏2010-03-18T14:36:20Z
    Hi Joakim,

Personally I have tended to use MS Word when writing the use-cases and made use of the 'cross-references' functionality to insert links between different flows/subflows and Word then handles if the numbering/naming is changed. I have tended to use a mixture of the numbers and step names in the references (Word allows both or either to be used).

Hope that helps.

-
    Rob Exley.
    Thanks for the tip Rob!
    I'll try use with the cross-reference feature in MS Word too.

/Kindly
    Jocke
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3545 Posts

‏2010-06-07T19:30:19Z  
    • joacar
    • ‏2010-03-18T16:25:48Z
    Thanks for the tip Rob!
    I'll try use with the cross-reference feature in MS Word too.

/Kindly
    Jocke
    Be careful, Word does not always do what you want. Suppose you have some references to step 3 and then, you want to insert a new step between step 2 and step 3.

If you place your cursor at the beginning of step 3 and then press enter, you get a new step 3 and the old step 3 will now be step 4. But all references to step 3 will not be renumbered. They will refer to the new step 3 instead of to step 4.

If you want your references to be updated to refer to step 4, you should place your cursor at the end of step 2 and then press enter.

My experience is, it often takes more time to repair the problems with automatic cross-referencing than to maintain these references manually.

Hans.