Topic
15 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-29T14:10:59Z by MerlinUK
MerlinUK
MerlinUK
63 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Recursion in Rhapsody

‏2010-03-18T10:22:39Z |
What are the tricks to getting recursion to work in a Rhapsody template ?
Updated on 2012-08-29T14:10:59Z at 2012-08-29T14:10:59Z by MerlinUK
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1606 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Recursion in Rhapsody

‏2010-03-18T10:37:43Z  in response to MerlinUK
    Hey Merlin,

no magic is required. I suggest to study the example that comes with Rhapsody as well as the RPE-Rhapsody tutorial from the dev works wiki.

Regards,
    Dragos
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1299 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-22T19:07:26Z  in response to Dragos.Cojocari
      Hello Merlin,

RPE and rhapsody seemed to work fine for me and its a degree of magnitude faster (probably more) than reporterplus.

I suggest you do what I did and download Dragos's example and then pick a particular reporterplus template and reproduce it in rpe, you need to watch out for where you put your filters (use native rhapsody filters) and you need to mimic the exact context using containers/ tables and rows (this is easy to get wrong). I remember getting caught out with the context a couple of times.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with RPE and it is easier to use with DOORS than with Rhapsody, but (for me anyway) it beats reporterplus hands down and I think repeated use will make it a lot faster.

Our rhapsody consultant stated that rpe was buggy, but it has worked fine for me so far limited testing, but I migrated a fairly complicated reporterplus template succesfully.

I think an automatic reporterplus to rpe migration tool would be nice and is possible, but probably a fairly difficult proposition, this would however speed up the learning curve and rhapsody user take up massively.

<Dragos> Any plans for this?

Best Regards,

Richard
      • Dragos.Cojocari
        Dragos.Cojocari
        1606 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-06T05:15:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hey Richard,

>> Our rhapsody consultant stated that rpe was buggy, but it has worked fine for me so far limited testing, but I migrated a fairly complicated reporterplus template succesfully.
        Well RPE is new and uses very different concepts compared to older tools such as ReporterPLUS, DocExpress, SODA etc. But some users sometime approach it with the same mindset and patterns as they did older tools and that doesn't work well obviouslly. We strongly recommend learning RPE and not trying to use it as a reloaded DocExpreass/SODA/ReporterPlus. :)

>> I think an automatic reporterplus to rpe migration tool would be nice and is possible, but probably a fairly difficult proposition, this would however speed up the learning curve and rhapsody user take up massively.
        We are considering a ReporterPlus->RPE migration utility but it is something for 2011 and beyond.

Regards,
        Dragos
    • purban
      purban
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-13T16:49:48Z  in response to Dragos.Cojocari
      I can't seem to locate this tutorial for Rhapsody and RPE. Can you oost a pointer to it?
      • calinr
        calinr
        20 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-14T07:25:01Z  in response to purban
        The tutorial can be downloaded from RPE Wiki
        https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/rpe/RPE+-+Rhapsody+Step+by+Step

Calin
  • MerlinUK
    MerlinUK
    63 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-11T21:32:25Z  in response to MerlinUK
    If someone could post a very simple template showing recursion in Rhapsody that would be great - doesnt have to be much - just a container that recurses over the package structure and prints out the name of the package would be all i need - i still cant get it working

Cheers
    Andy
    • MerlinUK
      MerlinUK
      63 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-12T06:42:42Z  in response to MerlinUK
      Update: I found that if your top level container is not a Project then setting the recursion properties on any Package containers in the template does nothing

Cheers
      Andy
    • danzel
      danzel
      184 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-12T06:46:56Z  in response to MerlinUK
      Hi Merlin

Please provide me the RPE version that you are using, to provide you a recursion sample template for Rhapsody.

Regards
      Dan
  • mick.driver
    mick.driver
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-23T20:13:49Z  in response to MerlinUK
    Hi

Did anyone create the RPE & Rhapsody recursion template. Playing with the recursion levels & segments at the pacakge and project lvel. Not having much luck. Using Rhapsody 7.6.1.1 and RPE 1.1.2. Already lloked at the tutorial that really doesn't explain well (as it does not work :).

One other issue i have is all the pacakges are output the correct information (without recursion ) but the first pacakge seems to be down in the weeds (3 level nesting), the top level package is output somewhere in the middle?

Regards Mick Driver (BTI)

mick.driver@gmail.com or mick.driver@tbe.com
  • mick.driver
    mick.driver
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-24T14:27:53Z  in response to MerlinUK
    Hi

Tried the recursion template, see attached ... looks like it only did the top level? Attachment has a snap shot of the model, or at least the part i am trying to capture.
  • mick.driver
    mick.driver
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-24T14:28:03Z  in response to MerlinUK
    Hi

Tried the recursion template, see attached ... looks like it only did the top level? Attachment has a snap shot of the model, or at least the part i am trying to capture.
  • mick.driver
    mick.driver
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-29T13:57:58Z  in response to MerlinUK
    Hi

Got the recursion to run, outputs the correct list. Now working with IBM RPE support to dynamically set header styles depending on level during the recursion. Apparently there is a variables that internally tracks the level you are at called "_element_level". Think we can use this some how ....

Mick
    • MerlinUK
      MerlinUK
      63 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-29T14:10:59Z  in response to mick.driver
      Thats an easy one :)

Set the property Format > Common > Style Name to the variable_element_level

Cheers
      Andy