• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-03-19T21:32:35Z by gvphubli
gvphubli
gvphubli
2 Posts

Pinned topic Want to gain DB2 on AIX Hands on Experience

‏2010-03-17T16:46:23Z |
Hi,

I want to gain some hands-on experience on "DB2 on AIX" like installing and administration. Is it possible to download AIX and install on my intel based laptop. I know I can always download DB2 LUW trial version or DB Express-C. I am more interested on "DB2 on AIX" setup.

Thanks,
  • G's
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    17917 Posts

Re: Want to gain DB2 on AIX Hands on Experience

‏2010-03-18T20:55:23Z  
    even if it is possible ot download a trial version for db2 on aix,
    where are you going to find an AIX emulator and AIX version which you can download for your trial?
    why do you need to gain experience on AIX and not on linux for example?
  • krook
    krook
    3 Posts

‏2010-03-19T01:57:26Z  
    I had the same question a few years back when I started working with AIX at the office. I wanted to get my hands on a copy to put on some cheap x86 hardware at home as I had before with Linux and Solaris. Alas, AIX only runs on Power.

While the local workstation route may be out, I think this would be a great target for the evolving beta Development and Test environment on the IBM Cloud (See the dW intro here).

You can already provision an instance of DB2 on RHEL or SLES Linux on Development and Test. I wonder how much of a stretch it would be to provide virtual AIX images/LPARs, given that it may have the most advanced virtualization of the commercial UNIXes.

I recommend you post a new comment via the Support tab there suggesting an image of DB2 on AIX.
    Daniel Krook
  • gvphubli
    gvphubli
    2 Posts

‏2010-03-19T21:32:35Z  
    even if it is possible ot download a trial version for db2 on aix,
    where are you going to find an AIX emulator and AIX version which you can download for your trial?
    why do you need to gain experience on AIX and not on linux for example?
    I am taking about AIX OS itself not the DB2 alone

I posted this same question in other forums, I get the same question in response to my question.

"why do you need to gain experience on AIX, work on Linux"

There are couple of good differences between AIX & Linux - is SMIT available in Linux ? - lot of good admin stuff is carried out using SMIT on AIX.

And as a DBA why do I need to learn AIX? it helps a lot and its my experience on other other RDBMS products. Specifically while trouble shooting performance. I am of the opinion that the DBA should have knowledge about OS on which DB2 is running.