• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-03-05T21:54:39Z by graham40
graham40
graham40
127 Posts

Pinned topic Windsows XP and LWI will not start

‏2010-02-26T04:06:45Z |
Hello again,

Am Windows XP with TXSeries 6.2.0.1 and LWI stopped working this morning after many months.

So turned on the computer (clean sheet and all that) and started tracing via Windows Services, found TXSeries Lightweight Infrastructure (LWI), startup parm of Automatic but it hadn't started. So I clicked on 'Start the service' and got a Services window saying..

'Could not start the TXSeries LWI Service service on Local Computer. Error 2:The system cannot find the file specified.'

So I right clicked on the LWI line, went to properties, noted the 'Path to executable:' which said..

c:\opt\cics\wui\bin\lwiservice.exe

where I found lwiserviceicon.exe but not lwiservice.exe - ouch??

Did a scan of the computer and found lwiservice.exe only in c:\opt\cics\BACKUP\wui\bin

I am not adventurous with this stuff and fearful of just copying it to opt\cics\wui\bin but..

• might that be the/a solution
  • if LWI worked last week why not now
  • might lwiservice.exe have been moved or deleted by some process (certainly not me)
  • is the version in BACKUP valid/invalid

Just for info, to stay away from port 80 I originally set my port to 8081 in config.properties in the overrides directory, same change in tac.url. Today, as I half expected, a 'netstat -ba' showed nothing about 8081. An old listing I'd saved of netstat results did show:

TCP graham:8081 graham:0 LISTENING
TCP graham:8081 graham:0 LISTENING 2484
http://java.exe

Am I right that the missing lwiservice.exe is my entire problem? Can I copy it over?

Please, thanks,
Graham

Read ZveWeiss from June 2008 but no mention of lwiservice.exe therein.
Updated on 2010-03-05T21:54:39Z at 2010-03-05T21:54:39Z by graham40
  • gogol
    gogol
    86 Posts

Re: Windsows XP and LWI will not start

‏2010-03-01T05:28:56Z  
    Do you run an antivirus software? Or did you installed a patch or FixPack for TXSeries?
    Most likely reason for an exe file ending up in a directory named backup on Windows, is that
    an automated virus scan has identified a probably issue and moved it over. Run a manual scan to confirm if it shows any issue.
    If your virus scan thinks, things are fine with the file, there is no harm in copying your lwiservice.exe back to where it should
    belong to.

If you installed a patch or a fix pack of TXSeries, there is a chance that the installation did not complete. Try re-installing the
    patch/Fixpack.

HTH.
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

‏2010-03-02T02:07:01Z  
    • gogol
    • ‏2010-03-01T05:28:56Z
    Do you run an antivirus software? Or did you installed a patch or FixPack for TXSeries?
    Most likely reason for an exe file ending up in a directory named backup on Windows, is that
    an automated virus scan has identified a probably issue and moved it over. Run a manual scan to confirm if it shows any issue.
    If your virus scan thinks, things are fine with the file, there is no harm in copying your lwiservice.exe back to where it should
    belong to.

If you installed a patch or a fix pack of TXSeries, there is a chance that the installation did not complete. Try re-installing the
    patch/Fixpack.

HTH.
    Copying the file back did the trick.

I have LWI on my backup machine. It works. Am using it's data as a reference! Both machines use the same A-Virus updated hourly, so if lwiservice got quarantined on one I 'presume' it would have on the other too (forgot to look at my scan results). Both machines are TXSeries V6.2.0.1 so upgrade process likely didn't cause loss of file and I don't remember any hangups.

I did the following:

1) compared the byte size of the two lwiservice files on the two machines - they're equal so..
    2) copied the lwiservice.exe from BACKUP to opt\cics\wui\bin as you suggested would be OK.
    3) compared the data in the two opt\cics\etc\tac.url files - are the same.
    4) compared the data in the two opt\cics\wui\conf\overrides\config.properties files - are the same.
    5) tried it but still didn't work so turned off the machine, turned on and
    6) it worked

As I said, will look to my scan results, never thought about AV's.
    Many thanks for your help! .. again:-)
    Graham
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

‏2010-03-05T21:54:39Z  
    • graham40
    • ‏2010-03-02T02:07:01Z
    Copying the file back did the trick.

I have LWI on my backup machine. It works. Am using it's data as a reference! Both machines use the same A-Virus updated hourly, so if lwiservice got quarantined on one I 'presume' it would have on the other too (forgot to look at my scan results). Both machines are TXSeries V6.2.0.1 so upgrade process likely didn't cause loss of file and I don't remember any hangups.

I did the following:

1) compared the byte size of the two lwiservice files on the two machines - they're equal so..
    2) copied the lwiservice.exe from BACKUP to opt\cics\wui\bin as you suggested would be OK.
    3) compared the data in the two opt\cics\etc\tac.url files - are the same.
    4) compared the data in the two opt\cics\wui\conf\overrides\config.properties files - are the same.
    5) tried it but still didn't work so turned off the machine, turned on and
    6) it worked

As I said, will look to my scan results, never thought about AV's.
    Many thanks for your help! .. again:-)
    Graham
    Just a follow up.

I occasionally use Emsisoft's A-Squared Free for scanning on my Windows XP machine. Before I do the scan I download the latest updates. The download results in letting me choose to restore some false/positive files, which I typically do (without looking them over).

Anyway the download caused my LWI to stop working. A netstat -a showed my LWI port (I use 8081) had gone so I went into my System/Services, saw LWI wasn't running, tried starting it manually and all was well.

Was that simple but have no idea what A-Squared did! What gogol told me about AV effects etc is worth noting.
    Graham