8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-23T16:11:26Z by OpherB
Soniara
Soniara
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic SDK - Framework Manager

‏2010-02-11T09:02:19Z |
Hello
I would like to know where I can obtain this product, no one we speak to seems to know. The question and answer is given here which is what we also want to do:
Question:
Is it possible to create Framework Manager models on supported UNIX or LINUX platforms/Operating systems, even though Framework Manager Graphical User Interface implementation only exists for Windows?
Answer:
It is possible to create Framework Manager model on UNIX and LINUX based platforms and operating systems.
However, to do so you need to utilize the Framework Manager SDK (a separately licensed add-on product for Cognos 8 and IBM Cognos ReportNet).
You can use the Framework Manager SDK to perform all the same metadata modeling tasks and processes as the Framework Manager application
Updated on 2010-02-11T22:36:09Z at 2010-02-11T22:36:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SDK - Framework Manager

‏2010-02-11T22:36:09Z  in response to Soniara
    If I remember correctly, there is only one SDK install. The Framework Manager SDK would be a component installed as part of the larger SDK package.

Given that the SDK requires additional licensing you should probably be talking to your account rep. They will be able to give you more details on where and how to get the SDK installer.
    • animesh.ventrapragada@kpn.com
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-18T12:19:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi i got Cognos 8.4.1 with TIP installation . And i am looking for the Framework SDK for preparing the packages and deploying in Cognos. And my environment is Solaris. Please let me know where can i get the SDK. Is there any technote related to it ?

4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-18T12:21:05Z  in response to Soniara

Hi Soniara

Did u find any solution for downloading Framework Manager SDK??

• OpherB
      OpherB
      638 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-18T18:14:57Z  in response to animesh.ventrapragada@kpn.com

This is only one SDK in any version of Cognos BI. It is a product you must license separately. Once purchased, IBM will send you download information.

Good luck,
      Opher

4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-19T05:31:30Z  in response to OpherB

Thanks Opher for the information :) . I have a few question . Please dont hesitate to answer as i am a newbie to this tool :) .  Assume the OS used is Solaris 10.

1)Can I create the packages and import the same using cognos Administration tool ?

2) I need to create the reports using the data from the Oracle database which is in Solaris using the package?

3) As of now i am having Cognos 8.4.1 (Report Studio,Query Studio,Connection,Congiguration,Administration) tools with me . What other tools I need to create the reports.

4) Please share me any URL's related to this information.If possible.

Regards

Animesh V

• OpherB
          OpherB
          638 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-19T18:46:52Z  in response to animesh.ventrapragada@kpn.com

Animesh - I'm not sure why you were asking about the SDK when you are new to the tools. You should first understand what each tool does and then determine if you need the SDK.

To answer your questions:

First, the OS is for the Cognos BI Server only. All of the tools and UI elements are either browser-based or require Windows to run.

1) You can only produce Packages using Framework Manager, which is a Windows utility. FM will also publish the Package to the Cognos Connection/Content Store.

2) In FM you will define the connection to the Oracle enviornment. NOTE: You will need Oracle drivers and TNSnames file on BOTH the Cognos Server and the Windows PC being used. Once the connection is defined, FM has a wizard for importing metadata. From there you would design the three-tier Model and then publish the desired content as a Package. Read the documentation (see below).

3) Depending on the kind of report you want to author, either Report Studio or Query Studio would be used once you publish the Package.

4) Here is the link to Cognos BI 8.4 Documentation: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/c8bi/v8r4m0/index.jsp?lang=en

There is a lot to read. I've been using the software every day since 1995 and I'm still learning :)

Good luck,
          Opher

4 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-23T05:34:15Z  in response to OpherB

Thank you so much Opher. I have some more queries hope they are silly to ask them but  please

have look into them 

1)What does a package contains of ... ?

2) I need to generate the report(Real time) so would the package help me ?

3) Which tools i have to use to generate them?

Regards 

Animesh V

• OpherB
              OpherB
              638 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-23T16:11:26Z  in response to animesh.ventrapragada@kpn.com

Well, let's see:

1) A Package contains the elements you want to report on (tables, data source connections, filters, prompts, etc.)

2) You MUST use a Package to build reports in Cognos BI. A report can connect to only one Package, so Package content is important.

3) Tools to generate "them"? If "them" is Packages, the only tool is Framework Manager. If "them" is Reports, you can use Query Studio, Report Studio, Analysis Studio, depending on the type of report and the available data sources.

Regards,
              Opher