• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-08-12T15:55:57Z by SystemAdmin
lboghos2
lboghos2
11 Posts

Pinned topic CALA heartbeat of FSM server is overdue

‏2010-02-02T17:32:01Z |
On home page, I'm getting the black banner telling that the
CALA heartbeat of FSM server is overdue.
The data is not up to date.
Cala_check on the FSM and client servers is OK (green).
One recent change was a SQL database upgrade from SQL2000 to 2005.
Database connections look good in calarex.log.
Updated on 2010-08-12T15:55:57Z at 2010-08-12T15:55:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • Ankur Grover
    Ankur Grover
    1 Post

Re: CALA heartbeat of FSM server is overdue

‏2010-03-30T07:57:21Z  
    Hi All,

I am also getting this screen displayed on web console. I am using Windows Server2003 and IIS. A windows security patch KB977165 was applied on the server and after that I am getting this error.

I am unable to restart the Cala Server services and CPU utilization is becoming 100%.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciable.
  • donl1967
    donl1967
    16 Posts

‏2010-04-08T16:29:35Z  
    I have found in the past that if there are some really large log files out there (we have an issue where the WAL log on some of our servers grows to 15G or so a day, but that is for a different thread) then the CPU on the FSM server can hit 100%. We have also had issues where the dbOptimize was failing on the server as well and that caused some issues. If the CPU on the server is spiked at 100% for any length of time, the heartbeat will fail and that is why you get the black banner. Find out why the CPU is high and that may solve some of your problems. As far as upgrading the SQL version, there are setting for that that may need to change with the new version. Maybe it doesn't have access the to database any more?
    Hope this helps some.
  • lboghos2
    lboghos2
    11 Posts

‏2010-04-20T18:22:47Z  
    CPU usage is no longer an issue on the server.
    However, after modifying several config files, including .instvars, to make sure they all reference the correct SQL server and port number, I still get the black banner.

Although now the error has changed.
    Instead of heartbeat overdue - indicating a cala_check entry on the database with an old date, now I have 'error retrieving cala_check timestamp'.
    And the table row that is being checked does not exist at all now.

I reinstalled Cala after updating all the config files. Same error.

I can read and update the transactions table, but the history table has not been updated since before the SQL 2000 to 2005 upgrade.
  • lboghos2
    lboghos2
    11 Posts

‏2010-04-28T18:57:19Z  
    Resolved!!
    With SQL 2005, the following entry needs to be added to the JDBC driver path variable in the cala_variables.txt file:
    d:/filenet/java/lib/ext (or equivalent path)

example:
    GLOBAL_SETTING;;__CALAVAR_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH__;;d:/FileNet/SysMon/tools/de.cenit;d:/FileNet/SysMon/tools/org.apache;C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver/sqljdbc_1.2/enu;d:/filenet/java/lib/ext

Then reinstall CALA from the FSM Server Installer

This will also update the logctlsrv.conf file with the same java path info on the line beginning with: mysqlemit=run!jdbcemit
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    53 Posts

‏2010-08-12T15:55:57Z  
    • lboghos2
    • ‏2010-04-28T18:57:19Z
    Resolved!!
    With SQL 2005, the following entry needs to be added to the JDBC driver path variable in the cala_variables.txt file:
    d:/filenet/java/lib/ext (or equivalent path)

example:
    GLOBAL_SETTING;;__CALAVAR_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH__;;d:/FileNet/SysMon/tools/de.cenit;d:/FileNet/SysMon/tools/org.apache;C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver/sqljdbc_1.2/enu;d:/filenet/java/lib/ext

Then reinstall CALA from the FSM Server Installer

This will also update the logctlsrv.conf file with the same java path info on the line beginning with: mysqlemit=run!jdbcemit
    For reference, I had the black banner issue as well but my solution was different.

Was a new FSM server (4.0.1 FP4) built with php 5.2.3.

On the FSM webpage I noticed that the time displayed next to the refresh button was one hour ahead of the actual server time.

Also, to the right of the date which is displayed in the upper left hand corner of the main page it showed Europe/Helsinki which is not correct.

I found the date.timezone entry in the php.ini file. (was commented out = default)

I got my time zone value from the php website
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php

Updated the value, banner gone.

PS:
    Did reboot (windoze) but restart of Apache should do the trick I guess.