Topic
  • 76 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-02-19T07:12:33Z by rrv
PaulG_TN
PaulG_TN
24 Posts

Pinned topic Visual Studio 2010

‏2010-02-01T15:32:09Z |
What DB2 support, if any, is available for Visual Studio 2010 now (even if it's beta drivers)? Will we need a need data server driver and/or Visual Studio add-ins to get support for DB2 projects and DB2 connections in the server explorer or will the v9.7FP1 drivers work? If support is not yet available, will it be available before the VS 2010 launch in April? We are trying to decide if we need to abandon DB2 Connect and use a different method to connect to our iSeries databases from .net to allow us to move ahead with the upgrade to VS2010 and not keep VS2008 installed just for DB2 related work.

Thanks
Updated on 2011-02-19T07:12:33Z at 2011-02-19T07:12:33Z by rrv
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

Re: Visual Studio 2010

‏2010-04-26T08:05:40Z  
    This are valid questions. Answers would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Axel.
  • camainc
    camainc
    8 Posts

‏2010-04-27T14:43:11Z  
    I, too, would like to know what is the status of db2 and VS2010?

I just got dropped into a new project, and I need to use VS2010 and Entity Framework.

Anyone have any suggestion as to how to get the db2 driver to show up in the "Change Data Source" dialog? How does one go about installing the db2 provider?
  • red19
    red19
    2 Posts

‏2010-04-27T15:09:43Z  
    I agree answers to this question would be very good !!!!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-04-29T06:46:55Z  
    Still no answer. VS 2010 ist out. I need to evaluate if EF is an option or to switch to something other (NHibernate,...) . A comment on futures should be possible. Thanks again.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-04-29T15:28:24Z  
    Still no answer. VS 2010 ist out. I need to evaluate if EF is an option or to switch to something other (NHibernate,...) . A comment on futures should be possible. Thanks again.
    Hi,

at this time, our provider does not support VS2010 and framework 4.0. However, we do regonize it as an important requirement and are working on satisfying it as soon as possible.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-04-30T06:39:21Z  
    Nice to hear. Is there any (approximately) time frame for release?
  • PaulG_TN
    PaulG_TN
    24 Posts

‏2010-04-30T11:20:04Z  
    Thanks for your response. We'll be anxiously awaiting the release.
  • jkbowling
    jkbowling
    1 Post

‏2010-05-07T14:40:07Z  
    I love products like this that IBM "barely" supports and you can never get answers for. Why is it a big secret what your time-frame for delivering this software is?

Makes me want to use MS SQL.
  • camainc
    camainc
    8 Posts

‏2010-05-13T20:07:39Z  
    How about an update on this? Our company has already migrated to VS 2010, but IBM is lagging behind in providing support for this environment. This is difficult to understand, given the fact that VS2010 was been under development for a long time, and it was no secret that it was going to be released earlier this year.

Our projects are being held up, waiting for DB2 providers for VS2010. We need to keep moving, but it seems like we are always waiting on IBM.
  • gsauer
    gsauer
    9 Posts

‏2010-05-13T23:02:12Z  
    Hi,

As a company IBM does not typically preannounce software. The announcement letters usually come within days of the actual release. When IBM has made the announcement then you'd also see that information posted to this forum.

IBM does run betas that come before the formal general availability announcement though. These come at the invitation of the customer's account team, or if you don't have that information, you could email me: gsauere@us.ibm.com

Regards,

Gui
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2010-05-14T03:02:51Z  
    • jkbowling
    • ‏2010-05-07T14:40:07Z
    I love products like this that IBM "barely" supports and you can never get answers for. Why is it a big secret what your time-frame for delivering this software is?

Makes me want to use MS SQL.
    The IBM .NET provider and Visual Studio Addins are very much supported by IBM. Any customer with a problem goes through our support channel to deal with subject matter experts and have their problems dealt with and if necessary, patches made available. We also have a process through our customers IBM contacts where they can submit a requirement (request for enhancement) - and in that process identify how this new feature would help their business. There are many IBM unique features in our provider and Addins that were delivered as a result of this process.

In addition, we try via our FAQ page to provide answers to the most often asked questions.

However, this forum is not a substitute for the above processes. We host the forum in the hopes that the customer community can use this vehicle to help each other out with problems, issues, etc. We do monitor this forum on a best effort basis, and I personally look for common trends and see if I can update the FAQ, our docs, etc. to help our customers out.

What we do not do is comment on features that are not yet ready for deployment. I want to encourage the community that we have this as a high priority item, but are not yet at the point where we have a date we can share that will not change. We have other requirements we also have to deliver, and it is not possible to satisfy everyone.

I would like to give an example of one of the many tradeoffs we face. We recently provided a significant enhancement to our provider that exploits workload balancing and seamless failover for the DB2 for z/OS Sysplex, DB2 LUW pureScale and Informix Mach 11. These are significant features for our customers that have highly dynamic, highly available application demands, and now our .NET provider allows direct connectivity to exploit these server features. Customers with pureScale (for example) love this capability - they can dynamically add capacity to their database server, without taking the server offline. Their .NET applications utilizing our driver recognize the extra member being added to the server complex, and will dynamically and seamlessly move workload to that new member, all of this while the application remains available, without the application developer having to do anything.

The above is simply one of the many capabilities our customers are looking to us to provide, and while it does not tell you when we will release VS 2010 support, it does demonstrate that we are very committed to ongoing enhancements on our .NET drivers (as well as the DB2 Connect product line).

Brent.
  • rrv
    rrv
    11 Posts

‏2010-05-31T06:12:07Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2010-05-14T03:02:51Z
    The IBM .NET provider and Visual Studio Addins are very much supported by IBM. Any customer with a problem goes through our support channel to deal with subject matter experts and have their problems dealt with and if necessary, patches made available. We also have a process through our customers IBM contacts where they can submit a requirement (request for enhancement) - and in that process identify how this new feature would help their business. There are many IBM unique features in our provider and Addins that were delivered as a result of this process.

In addition, we try via our FAQ page to provide answers to the most often asked questions.

However, this forum is not a substitute for the above processes. We host the forum in the hopes that the customer community can use this vehicle to help each other out with problems, issues, etc. We do monitor this forum on a best effort basis, and I personally look for common trends and see if I can update the FAQ, our docs, etc. to help our customers out.

What we do not do is comment on features that are not yet ready for deployment. I want to encourage the community that we have this as a high priority item, but are not yet at the point where we have a date we can share that will not change. We have other requirements we also have to deliver, and it is not possible to satisfy everyone.

I would like to give an example of one of the many tradeoffs we face. We recently provided a significant enhancement to our provider that exploits workload balancing and seamless failover for the DB2 for z/OS Sysplex, DB2 LUW pureScale and Informix Mach 11. These are significant features for our customers that have highly dynamic, highly available application demands, and now our .NET provider allows direct connectivity to exploit these server features. Customers with pureScale (for example) love this capability - they can dynamically add capacity to their database server, without taking the server offline. Their .NET applications utilizing our driver recognize the extra member being added to the server complex, and will dynamically and seamlessly move workload to that new member, all of this while the application remains available, without the application developer having to do anything.

The above is simply one of the many capabilities our customers are looking to us to provide, and while it does not tell you when we will release VS 2010 support, it does demonstrate that we are very committed to ongoing enhancements on our .NET drivers (as well as the DB2 Connect product line).

Brent.
    Hi, We all await complete VS2010 support. VS2008 addins where not complete too. We expect below features.
    1. edmx generation would look for tables.txt file in current folder and build edmx for only tables in that file instead of all tables and time out.
    2. Tables, Views, SPs selection wizard screen to have filter by schema, table name etc.
    3. VS2010 IDE debug support for LInQ Based Stored Procedures via edmx.
    4. Same wizard screen to show native datasources like physical file, logical file etc.
    5. Edmx to support LDAP querying.
    6. Smartly disable the linq query timeout during debug and enable while release.
    7. edmx atleast now to use native ibm.data.informix than older ibm.data.db2.
    8. datareader to support IAsyncResult.
    9. edmx LInQ to support all arithmetic functions.
    Thanks
    RV
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-06-02T16:26:20Z  
    • bpgross

Brent.
    How about now? Is it ready yet?

How about now?

Can you tell we're waiting on this? :)

(How about now?)
  • Diegot
    Diegot
    1 Post

‏2010-06-07T16:37:31Z  
    How about now? Is it ready yet?

How about now?

Can you tell we're waiting on this? :)

(How about now?)
    Any news? We also migrated to VS2010 we cannot take advantage of EF4.

Please at least give us an estimate so we can schedule out project work accordingly.

Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-06-07T16:46:11Z  
    • bpgross

Brent.
    Are we allowed to vote more than once, because I'd like to vote a couple more times. :) I know that when my kids ask "are we there yet" it doesn't help us get there any sooner, but I also know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. When customers squeak loud enough to a customer-focused company like IBM...
    Is it ready yet?
    Is it ready yet?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-06-15T20:41:52Z  
    I have not stepped into this discussion in hopes that IBM would react to whats already been voiced as a concern for what appears to be a lack of support.
    The only thing new that I can add is this. My organization has been a supporter and client of the AS400 / iSeries platform since the very first models. However, it, as you SHOULD know suffers from the misunderstanding that it is obsolete and outdated technology. While I as a IT Professional am TRYING to improve the perception of the technology by developing windows / web interfaces I am told by IBM that apparently it lacks priority and as such leaves me in the impossible position of defending the technology. I can't help you or me without your active participation and it is a VERY REAL possibility that we may leave the system.
    You had ample notice of the impending VS2010.

Thank you for your kind attention and I also hope that you understand that if this condition is not corrected and soon that I may be forced by my organiztion to abandon the platform and move on.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-06-15T23:18:42Z  
    I have not stepped into this discussion in hopes that IBM would react to whats already been voiced as a concern for what appears to be a lack of support.
    The only thing new that I can add is this. My organization has been a supporter and client of the AS400 / iSeries platform since the very first models. However, it, as you SHOULD know suffers from the misunderstanding that it is obsolete and outdated technology. While I as a IT Professional am TRYING to improve the perception of the technology by developing windows / web interfaces I am told by IBM that apparently it lacks priority and as such leaves me in the impossible position of defending the technology. I can't help you or me without your active participation and it is a VERY REAL possibility that we may leave the system.
    You had ample notice of the impending VS2010.

Thank you for your kind attention and I also hope that you understand that if this condition is not corrected and soon that I may be forced by my organiztion to abandon the platform and move on.
    I'm with this guy. Well, except that I don't have the luxury of leaving the platform ... I'm stuck with DB2 no matter what (stinkin' embedded SQL C++ programs...). So, IBM, you have two choices: make me dislike your platform more and more and more or get the add-ins for VS2010 out the door yesterday.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? Well...

SQUEAK!!!

SQUEAK!!!

SQUEAKEDY SQUEAK SQUEAKER SQUEAK!!!!

• Kevin_Foster
    Kevin_Foster
    13 Posts

‏2010-06-16T02:12:13Z  
    But please also remember how annoying it is for anyone else in the car, i.e. the rest of us who subscribe to this forum and keep getting this same noise via email. Any forum is only useful when people are happy with their subscription and stay as members. Won't be the case if this forum turns into a source of junk email.

So as I just contributed further to the "junk email" affect with this reply myself, I won't reply again on this thread. Will just finish with a request for a better signal-to-noise ratio on future postings please?

-Kevin
    Updated on 2010-06-16T02:12:13Z at 2010-06-16T02:12:13Z by Kevin_Foster
  • rrv
    rrv
    11 Posts

‏2010-06-21T07:12:58Z  
    But please also remember how annoying it is for anyone else in the car, i.e. the rest of us who subscribe to this forum and keep getting this same noise via email. Any forum is only useful when people are happy with their subscription and stay as members. Won't be the case if this forum turns into a source of junk email.

So as I just contributed further to the "junk email" affect with this reply myself, I won't reply again on this thread. Will just finish with a request for a better signal-to-noise ratio on future postings please?

-Kevin
    Kevin,
    Understand it is annoying and all messages look like spam. But kindly note this is the only forum where people can voice their concern to IBM directly for VS2010 update. We appreciate IBM does not preannounce software releases or neither releases beta programs. But the earlier support to VS in V9.7 was not complete. Anything to do with RIA, MVC was not complete. Even the LInQ queries did not support all arithmetic operations.
    So obviously with the given alpha, beta, and release periods of VS2010, all users will be anxious on the IBM's support for its own products. Around 3-5 years earlier, post release of a MS product, we all used to wait for the SP1 to adopt the technology/product so that issues are ironed out. But if you watch the history more closely the Microsoft SP1 releases are after little longer these days and even SP1 dont have a huge impact which shows the base product is stronger. If you are waiting for VS2010 SP1 to release the DB2 support it will be certain that you are loosing your grounds. Kindly don't be angry and look into the facts.
    We do atleast expect a tentative release date. It will be the requirement of almost all VS2010 DB2 addins users. Even it has limited support let us know the limitations and update dates for the limitation like for example "RIA-Silverlight support - after 1 month."

Thanks
    RV
  • throstur62
    throstur62
    25 Posts

‏2010-08-13T09:38:05Z  
    • rrv
    • ‏2010-06-21T07:12:58Z
    Kevin,
    Understand it is annoying and all messages look like spam. But kindly note this is the only forum where people can voice their concern to IBM directly for VS2010 update. We appreciate IBM does not preannounce software releases or neither releases beta programs. But the earlier support to VS in V9.7 was not complete. Anything to do with RIA, MVC was not complete. Even the LInQ queries did not support all arithmetic operations.
    So obviously with the given alpha, beta, and release periods of VS2010, all users will be anxious on the IBM's support for its own products. Around 3-5 years earlier, post release of a MS product, we all used to wait for the SP1 to adopt the technology/product so that issues are ironed out. But if you watch the history more closely the Microsoft SP1 releases are after little longer these days and even SP1 dont have a huge impact which shows the base product is stronger. If you are waiting for VS2010 SP1 to release the DB2 support it will be certain that you are loosing your grounds. Kindly don't be angry and look into the facts.
    We do atleast expect a tentative release date. It will be the requirement of almost all VS2010 DB2 addins users. Even it has limited support let us know the limitations and update dates for the limitation like for example "RIA-Silverlight support - after 1 month."

Thanks
    RV
    Hi,
    I hit this wall also two days ago. Well it is 13th August 2010. Visual Studio 2010 has been out there for many months. All our other 3d party providers have upgraded their components to VS2010 and .Net 4.0. and stopped support for VS2009 .Net Framework 3.5.

We can't continue without upgrading to VS2010 and .Net Framework 4.0. I have a team here sitting with their hands in their pockets because IBM is still not providing us with VS2010 version of the driver for Informix (the same driver that is used for DB2)

Has anybody any news regarding this?

So please, please, please, please hurry up IBM. This upgrade is desparately needed. The dealy is costing us a bunch of money every day.

Regards
    TJ
  • dany3dx
    dany3dx
    1 Post

‏2010-08-13T11:20:28Z  
    VS2010.NET4DB2++
  • throstur62
    throstur62
    25 Posts

‏2010-08-13T14:19:14Z  
    • dany3dx
    • ‏2010-08-13T11:20:28Z
    VS2010.NET4DB2++
    Dany3dx, waht do you mean?
    Are you saying that this drive already exist or what?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2010-08-22T00:53:16Z  
    • Diegot
    • ‏2010-06-07T16:37:31Z
    Any news? We also migrated to VS2010 we cannot take advantage of EF4.

Please at least give us an estimate so we can schedule out project work accordingly.

Thanks.
    I am waiting EF 4 and Visual Studio 2010 Support. I am developping a product that i am planning to port it from sql server to db2 express-c. Any idea about the release date ?
  • FilipR
    FilipR
    1 Post

‏2010-09-01T10:03:55Z  
    Hi,

It would be great if someone from IBM could tell us when there will be any support for Visual Studio 2010.

Please, we are waiting.
    Thanks