Topic
76 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-02-19T07:12:33Z by rrv
PaulG_TN
PaulG_TN
24 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Visual Studio 2010

‏2010-02-01T15:32:09Z |
What DB2 support, if any, is available for Visual Studio 2010 now (even if it's beta drivers)? Will we need a need data server driver and/or Visual Studio add-ins to get support for DB2 projects and DB2 connections in the server explorer or will the v9.7FP1 drivers work? If support is not yet available, will it be available before the VS 2010 launch in April? We are trying to decide if we need to abandon DB2 Connect and use a different method to connect to our iSeries databases from .net to allow us to move ahead with the upgrade to VS2010 and not keep VS2008 installed just for DB2 related work.

Thanks
Updated on 2011-02-19T07:12:33Z at 2011-02-19T07:12:33Z by rrv
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Visual Studio 2010

‏2010-04-26T08:05:40Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    This are valid questions. Answers would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Axel.
  • camainc
    camainc
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-27T14:43:11Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    I, too, would like to know what is the status of db2 and VS2010?

I just got dropped into a new project, and I need to use VS2010 and Entity Framework.

Anyone have any suggestion as to how to get the db2 driver to show up in the "Change Data Source" dialog? How does one go about installing the db2 provider?
  • red19
    red19
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-27T15:09:43Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    I agree answers to this question would be very good !!!!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-29T06:46:55Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Still no answer. VS 2010 ist out. I need to evaluate if EF is an option or to switch to something other (NHibernate,...) . A comment on futures should be possible. Thanks again.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-29T15:28:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

at this time, our provider does not support VS2010 and framework 4.0. However, we do regonize it as an important requirement and are working on satisfying it as soon as possible.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-30T06:39:21Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Nice to hear. Is there any (approximately) time frame for release?
  • PaulG_TN
    PaulG_TN
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-30T11:20:04Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Thanks for your response. We'll be anxiously awaiting the release.
  • jkbowling
    jkbowling
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-07T14:40:07Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    I love products like this that IBM "barely" supports and you can never get answers for. Why is it a big secret what your time-frame for delivering this software is?

Makes me want to use MS SQL.
    • bpgross
      bpgross
      627 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-14T03:02:51Z  in response to jkbowling
      The IBM .NET provider and Visual Studio Addins are very much supported by IBM. Any customer with a problem goes through our support channel to deal with subject matter experts and have their problems dealt with and if necessary, patches made available. We also have a process through our customers IBM contacts where they can submit a requirement (request for enhancement) - and in that process identify how this new feature would help their business. There are many IBM unique features in our provider and Addins that were delivered as a result of this process.

In addition, we try via our FAQ page to provide answers to the most often asked questions.

However, this forum is not a substitute for the above processes. We host the forum in the hopes that the customer community can use this vehicle to help each other out with problems, issues, etc. We do monitor this forum on a best effort basis, and I personally look for common trends and see if I can update the FAQ, our docs, etc. to help our customers out.

What we do not do is comment on features that are not yet ready for deployment. I want to encourage the community that we have this as a high priority item, but are not yet at the point where we have a date we can share that will not change. We have other requirements we also have to deliver, and it is not possible to satisfy everyone.

I would like to give an example of one of the many tradeoffs we face. We recently provided a significant enhancement to our provider that exploits workload balancing and seamless failover for the DB2 for z/OS Sysplex, DB2 LUW pureScale and Informix Mach 11. These are significant features for our customers that have highly dynamic, highly available application demands, and now our .NET provider allows direct connectivity to exploit these server features. Customers with pureScale (for example) love this capability - they can dynamically add capacity to their database server, without taking the server offline. Their .NET applications utilizing our driver recognize the extra member being added to the server complex, and will dynamically and seamlessly move workload to that new member, all of this while the application remains available, without the application developer having to do anything.

The above is simply one of the many capabilities our customers are looking to us to provide, and while it does not tell you when we will release VS 2010 support, it does demonstrate that we are very committed to ongoing enhancements on our .NET drivers (as well as the DB2 Connect product line).

Brent.
      • rrv
        rrv
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-31T06:12:07Z  in response to bpgross
        Hi, We all await complete VS2010 support. VS2008 addins where not complete too. We expect below features.
        1. edmx generation would look for tables.txt file in current folder and build edmx for only tables in that file instead of all tables and time out.
        2. Tables, Views, SPs selection wizard screen to have filter by schema, table name etc.
        3. VS2010 IDE debug support for LInQ Based Stored Procedures via edmx.
        4. Same wizard screen to show native datasources like physical file, logical file etc.
        5. Edmx to support LDAP querying.
        6. Smartly disable the linq query timeout during debug and enable while release.
        7. edmx atleast now to use native ibm.data.informix than older ibm.data.db2.
        8. datareader to support IAsyncResult.
        9. edmx LInQ to support all arithmetic functions.
        Thanks
        RV
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2826 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-02T16:26:20Z  in response to bpgross
        How about now? Is it ready yet?

How about now?

Can you tell we're waiting on this? :)

(How about now?)
        • Diegot
          Diegot
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-07T16:37:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Any news? We also migrated to VS2010 we cannot take advantage of EF4.

Please at least give us an estimate so we can schedule out project work accordingly.

Thanks.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2826 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-22T00:53:16Z  in response to Diegot
            I am waiting EF 4 and Visual Studio 2010 Support. I am developping a product that i am planning to port it from sql server to db2 express-c. Any idea about the release date ?
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2826 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-21T13:40:48Z  in response to Diegot
            Even I am suffering and my work is at the stumble-block...
            I have Visual Studio 2010 Express edition and I am trying to connect to db2 database at the remote location using the entity data model, but since only sql support is being displayed there, I cannot connect to the database.
            I have already installed the required IBM Data Server Client 9.7 FP3 and the required addin after that but still the db2 option does not apprears.
            This is blocking my work.
            Please provide the solution or the helpful links/ screenshots so that I can work using the Entity data model 4.0 with DB2 database at the remote location using Visual Studio 2010 Express edition.

Thanks in advance.

Rajat.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2826 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-07T16:46:11Z  in response to bpgross
        Are we allowed to vote more than once, because I'd like to vote a couple more times. :) I know that when my kids ask "are we there yet" it doesn't help us get there any sooner, but I also know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. When customers squeak loud enough to a customer-focused company like IBM...
        Is it ready yet?
        Is it ready yet?
  • camainc
    camainc
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-13T20:07:39Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    How about an update on this? Our company has already migrated to VS 2010, but IBM is lagging behind in providing support for this environment. This is difficult to understand, given the fact that VS2010 was been under development for a long time, and it was no secret that it was going to be released earlier this year.

Our projects are being held up, waiting for DB2 providers for VS2010. We need to keep moving, but it seems like we are always waiting on IBM.
  • gsauer
    gsauer
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-13T23:02:12Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Hi,

As a company IBM does not typically preannounce software. The announcement letters usually come within days of the actual release. When IBM has made the announcement then you'd also see that information posted to this forum.

IBM does run betas that come before the formal general availability announcement though. These come at the invitation of the customer's account team, or if you don't have that information, you could email me: gsauere@us.ibm.com

Regards,

Gui
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-15T20:41:52Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    I have not stepped into this discussion in hopes that IBM would react to whats already been voiced as a concern for what appears to be a lack of support.
    The only thing new that I can add is this. My organization has been a supporter and client of the AS400 / iSeries platform since the very first models. However, it, as you SHOULD know suffers from the misunderstanding that it is obsolete and outdated technology. While I as a IT Professional am TRYING to improve the perception of the technology by developing windows / web interfaces I am told by IBM that apparently it lacks priority and as such leaves me in the impossible position of defending the technology. I can't help you or me without your active participation and it is a VERY REAL possibility that we may leave the system.
    You had ample notice of the impending VS2010.

Thank you for your kind attention and I also hope that you understand that if this condition is not corrected and soon that I may be forced by my organiztion to abandon the platform and move on.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-15T23:18:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I'm with this guy. Well, except that I don't have the luxury of leaving the platform ... I'm stuck with DB2 no matter what (stinkin' embedded SQL C++ programs...). So, IBM, you have two choices: make me dislike your platform more and more and more or get the add-ins for VS2010 out the door yesterday.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? Well...

SQUEAK!!!

SQUEAK!!!

SQUEAKEDY SQUEAK SQUEAKER SQUEAK!!!!

• Kevin_Foster
    Kevin_Foster
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-16T02:12:13Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    But please also remember how annoying it is for anyone else in the car, i.e. the rest of us who subscribe to this forum and keep getting this same noise via email. Any forum is only useful when people are happy with their subscription and stay as members. Won't be the case if this forum turns into a source of junk email.

So as I just contributed further to the "junk email" affect with this reply myself, I won't reply again on this thread. Will just finish with a request for a better signal-to-noise ratio on future postings please?

-Kevin
    Updated on 2010-06-16T02:12:13Z at 2010-06-16T02:12:13Z by Kevin_Foster
    • rrv
      rrv
      11 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-21T07:12:58Z  in response to Kevin_Foster
      Kevin,
      Understand it is annoying and all messages look like spam. But kindly note this is the only forum where people can voice their concern to IBM directly for VS2010 update. We appreciate IBM does not preannounce software releases or neither releases beta programs. But the earlier support to VS in V9.7 was not complete. Anything to do with RIA, MVC was not complete. Even the LInQ queries did not support all arithmetic operations.
      So obviously with the given alpha, beta, and release periods of VS2010, all users will be anxious on the IBM's support for its own products. Around 3-5 years earlier, post release of a MS product, we all used to wait for the SP1 to adopt the technology/product so that issues are ironed out. But if you watch the history more closely the Microsoft SP1 releases are after little longer these days and even SP1 dont have a huge impact which shows the base product is stronger. If you are waiting for VS2010 SP1 to release the DB2 support it will be certain that you are loosing your grounds. Kindly don't be angry and look into the facts.
      We do atleast expect a tentative release date. It will be the requirement of almost all VS2010 DB2 addins users. Even it has limited support let us know the limitations and update dates for the limitation like for example "RIA-Silverlight support - after 1 month."

Thanks
      RV
      • throstur62
        throstur62
        25 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-13T09:38:05Z  in response to rrv
        Hi,
        I hit this wall also two days ago. Well it is 13th August 2010. Visual Studio 2010 has been out there for many months. All our other 3d party providers have upgraded their components to VS2010 and .Net 4.0. and stopped support for VS2009 .Net Framework 3.5.

We can't continue without upgrading to VS2010 and .Net Framework 4.0. I have a team here sitting with their hands in their pockets because IBM is still not providing us with VS2010 version of the driver for Informix (the same driver that is used for DB2)

Has anybody any news regarding this?

So please, please, please, please hurry up IBM. This upgrade is desparately needed. The dealy is costing us a bunch of money every day.

Regards
        TJ
  • dany3dx
    dany3dx
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-13T11:20:28Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    VS2010.NET4DB2++
    • throstur62
      throstur62
      25 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-13T14:19:14Z  in response to dany3dx
      Dany3dx, waht do you mean?
      Are you saying that this drive already exist or what?
  • FilipR
    FilipR
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-01T10:03:55Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Hi,

It would be great if someone from IBM could tell us when there will be any support for Visual Studio 2010.

Please, we are waiting.
    Thanks
    • nhaydon
      nhaydon
      20 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-01T14:14:43Z  in response to FilipR
      Being an IT director for a chemical manufacturer, what do you think the chances are of me recommending DB2 for our next ERP platform? Slim to none and slim left town. Just saying.
      • rrv
        rrv
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-02T17:00:39Z  in response to nhaydon
        Hi Chemical manufacturer. Now you have free tools on the web which can do almost an apple to apple comparison of databases. With my experiences in DB2 for AS400 and LUW, MySQL, Oracle, etc i put MS SQL 2008 R2 a better bet than any other for almost all available reasons. You have much better frameworks and architectures there which can bring you to end user more faster than any other. Costwise too it is cheaper than any other. If u have DB migration planned in future try using Linq2Entities otherwise Linq2SQL best bet. Wake up DB2 .NET team.

Venkat
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2826 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-26T20:44:16Z  in response to rrv
          IBM had released the beta for VS 2010, .net data provider and VS2010 add-in. I had tried it on zos db2 8.0.0005, which got an time-out error from db2 server. I believe it's related to the large catalog, but there is no way to specify which schema to connect to, even though I had tried almost every combination(currentScheam, Schema filter type, etc.).

but if you want to give it a try, here is the link:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14528477&tstart=0

Burt
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2826 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-26T20:47:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Just let everyone know that I had tried VS 2010 support on Windows 7, and 9.7 client and 9.7 server on a Windows VM, everything worked out fine. It's just not working against 8.0.0005 ZOS db2.

Any suggestions?

Burt
            • bpgross
              bpgross
              627 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T05:23:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Burt,

As with any similar issue, the best first step is the testconn program. Have you run testconn and can you post the output here.

Thanks,

Brent.
              • francis@minfin
                francis@minfin
                2 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T14:18:20Z  in response to bpgross
                Hi,

I've been testing the .NET 4.0 drivers as well as the VSAI for VS 2010.
                I can create a connection in the server explorer and view the tables.
                But if I try to create an entity framework, selecting a valid connection, the moment it should retrieves information from the database an error occurred:
                An error occurred while connecting to the database. The database might be unavailable. An exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred. The error message is: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.

The target database is a DB2 9.7 running on solaris.

Any help please ... (getting desperate ...)

Thx

Francis
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  2826 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T14:23:54Z  in response to francis@minfin
                  Hi Francis,

can you please open the server explorer connection's options and, under filtering options, check if the Table Type filter is empty. If ti is, please click the button on the right hand side of the table type filter, and tick on the table types you're interested in for whatever server you're running against. After that, please try creating entity model again.

Regards,
                  Alex
                  • francis@minfin
                    francis@minfin
                    2 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-29T05:59:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    I've read already about this weird behaviour and tested it, unfortunately changing any option does not solve the problem, the error still exists.
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      2826 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-29T14:10:16Z  in response to francis@minfin
                      We perhaps should go through IBM support. But there is no support for Beta, right? Alex and Brent, can we contact you directly? We do work for big IBM shop in Edmonton, and we are going to be behind schedule on my project. I know the generic ADO.net programming works with my prototype.

Right now the only hope for us is to find a way to turn DECSTAT on. If that does not work, we are out of luck.

Regards,

Burt
                • throstur62
                  throstur62
                  25 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-28T08:55:07Z  in response to francis@minfin
                  Just to let you know, that we have been using the beta driver .NET 4.0 with target database Informix Dynamic Server 11.5. So far it is problem-free, except we experience long connection time over network. However I think we will find out what that is as we look deeper into it.
                  Otherwise, it works fine with Entities, etc. However remember that you need to recreate the Entity Model from scratch if you are upgrading from .Net 3.5 or older. That is actualy a Microsoft issue that did not provide any upgrade path.

The only thing that was hard was the installation part. Some components had to be installed in a correct sequence to get it work. If anyone need a descriptoin of that, do not hesitate contacting me.

TJ
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    2826 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-13T14:47:31Z  in response to throstur62
                    I want to use the beta driver also with Informix Dynamic Server 11.70 (so NOT DB2).
                    Can you please, as mentioned in your message, a description of installing the beta driver for IDS?

Many thanks.

GD
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      2826 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-13T15:16:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Hi,

the beta driver supports IDS as well as DB2. The installation procedure is identical for both.

Regards,
                      Alex
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                2826 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T14:58:58Z  in response to bpgross
                Hi Brent,

Thanks for the time to help me out. I will try the testconn later today. But here is what I have done and the error from Entity Framework wizard:
                1) in db2cli.ini file(all on my hard drive) to set a
                Common
                QueryTimeoutInterval=0
                2) try to increase the timeout settings on the .net data provider side;
                An error occurred while connecting to the database. The database might be unavailable. An exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException' occurred. The error message is: 'An error occurred while executing the command definition. See the inner exception for details.

The inner exception caught was of type 'IBM.Data.DB2.DB2Exception', with this error message: 'ERROR 57014 IBMDB2 SQL0952N Processing was cancelled due to an interrupt. SQLSTATE=57014

I have asked our db2 to track what query has been issued to db2, and here it is:

SELECT Project1.C1 AS C1, Project1.CatalogName AS CatalogName,
                Project1.SchemaName AS SchemaName, Project1.Name AS Name
                FROM ( SELECT Extent1.CatalogName AS CatalogName, Extent1.SchemaName AS
                SchemaName, Extent1.Name AS Name, CAST(1 AS int) AS C1
                FROM ( SELECT '' || ''
                AS Id , RTRIM(DBNAME) AS CatalogName , RTRIM(CREATOR) AS SchemaName ,
                RTRIM(NAME) AS Name
                FROM SYSIBM.SYSTABLES
                WHERE TYPE IN ( 'T' ) AND NOT CREATOR IN ('SYSCAT', 'SYSADM' , 'SYSPROC'
                , 'SYSFUN' , 'SYSIBM' , 'SYSIBMADM' , 'SYSSTAT' , 'SYSTOOLS' , 'SQLJ' ,
                'DB2ADMIN' , 'SYSTEM' ) ) AS Extent1 ) AS Project1 ORDER BY
                Project1.Name ASC, Project1.SchemaName ASC FOR FETCH ONLY

It took quite a while to get result back, while the wizard always got the error around 30-35 seconds. Note in the where clause if I change that to my target schema, the result is much faster. 1) Is there a way to specify the target schema(I have tried many combinations). 2) Is there a way to specify longer timeout?

BTW, I have tried the 9.5 with VS 2008 and the same problem occurred.

Here is what I know about our db2 environment:
                1) db2 8.0.1.00005 on Zos
                2) there are thousands of database schemas on the mainframe, per our dba says and hence the catalog is very large.

Please help!!

Regards,

Burt
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  2826 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T15:13:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Hi Burt,

If you open the modify connection dialog in the Server Explorer, and expand the filtering options section, you'll be able to add a Schema filter which will help narrow down the result set of the query.
                  Also, just as FYI, the db2cli.ini file doesn't apply to .NET applications. So any modifications you make to it do not affect .NET apps.

Regards,
                  Alex
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    2826 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T15:19:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Hi Alex,

I have tried that and it definitely worked for browsing objects on the server explorer, but it did not help with the Entity Framework Wizard. I can't see any difference on the connection string at the wizard page(where allows you pick whether to store sensitive information, password into the config file). I got the same error when added the schema filter and I have also tried the table type filter(checked for Zos) and it won't apply.

As I mentioned in my other post, the catalog is very big and I have tried the query issued by the wizard on Toad, it gave me some 324k records back for tables only.

Any other suggestions I could try?

Regards,

Burt
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      2826 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T15:42:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Hi Burt,

so, basically, if I understand correctly, the schema you're trying to access has a very large number of objects in it, right? And, therefore, even with Schema filter applied the query still times our trying to get all the objects in that schema. Unfortunately, in this beta you can't modify the query timeout from a connection string or config file. Therefore, the only option I can see, is to add Object filtering in the Server Explorer, in addition to Schema and table type filters.
                      Btw, any filtering options you add will not show up in the connection string. They will, however, be applied to the queries under the covers wehn populating the objects in the entity wizard.

Regards,
                      Alex
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        2826 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T15:55:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.

The target schema only has about 20 tables, 5 views. However, based on the query sent to the db2, it tried to bring back the whole catalog, which contains very large amount of data.

I will play with the object filter and see whether the query is changed by those filters. I will be posting the results on here.

When apply the table type filter and schema filter, do I still need to specify currentSchema? It seems that the curentSchema in the advanced section won't make any difference.

Regards,

Burt
                        • SystemAdmin
                          SystemAdmin
                          2826 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T16:38:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                          Hi Burt,

if your schema only has 20 tables then it should have worked. Could you please post a screen cap of the filtering options you have set for the connection? Also, setting CurrentSchema doesn't affect filtering. CurrentSchema sets the default schema to be used for unqualified objects.

Regards,
                          Alex
                          • SystemAdmin
                            SystemAdmin
                            2826 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T17:26:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                            Hi Alex,

I am going to do it this afternoon at 3:00 PM, Mountain Standard Time.
                            BTW, do we have new release for the VS 2010 add-in? Is it still constrained to 9.7 fp2? I understand the fp3 is out.

Regards,

Burt
                • tommyUnlimited
                  tommyUnlimited
                  1 Post
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T20:18:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  I haven’t had he time to check out the new add-on yet, but a 57014 sounds very familiar. Something that takes too long to accomplish will throw this “error”. What value did you set in the command timeout for the .net provider? Have you tried to increase it further to a really large value like 4-5000?
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    2826 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T22:13:44Z  in response to tommyUnlimited
                    Hi Alex,

I have tried the different combinations of schema, table type, object filters as attached. I still had the exactly the same error. Please help!

Regards,

Burt
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      2826 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T22:33:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Hi all,

Here is the test results for testconn40.exe with my connection string. The getSchema got an nullReference error. Does that say something?

Regards,

Burt

Attachments

• SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        2826 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-27T22:38:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Hi Alex,

In case I did not mention, for the last two posts, I attached the full screen shot for every step.

Regards,

Burt
                        • kanchana
                          kanchana
                          147 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-28T04:52:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                          Hi Burt,
                          I have seen a case where GetSchema threw a NullException because DECSTAT was set to 'no' on the server. The setting resulted in GetSchema not being able to function properly. Can you check if you are running into the same issue?

Kanchana
                      • bpgross
                        bpgross
                        627 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-30T02:13:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Burt,

A couple of comments based on your testconn output and recent appends.

The first is that at one point you mentioned db2cli.ini. That file is not used by out .NET support - it is there for ODBC / CLI applications only. It is true that previous versions (prior to V9.7) may have utilized certain settings in some circumstances, but V9.7 has been cleaned up such that the file is not even opened. There is the dsdriver.cfg file for use with the IBM Data Server Driver Package download.

Regarding testconn output itself, I see the provider version and file version all end in "2" - this would indicate that the FW 2.0 provider is being picked up, and not the FW 4.0 provider.

Finally, I am aware of some circumstances with FP2 level code where the filtering was not being picked up for the queries use underneath the EF designer. You may be hitting those - I will work with other folks and see if there is a way to get trace info back to us on the beta to look into that.

Brent.
                        • SystemAdmin
                          SystemAdmin
                          2826 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-30T13:59:54Z  in response to bpgross
                          Brent,

Thanks for your info. Do you have another beta version I can try? Should I try the FP3?

Regards,

Burt
                          • kanchana
                            kanchana
                            147 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-30T18:08:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                            Hi Burt,
                            The beta will not work with FP3.

As Brent mentioned, your testconn40 run is picking up the 2.0 provider instead of the 4.0 provier. Can you upload the db2trc of your testconn40 run? Try usng the 'maxstep 2' option. That will help keep the trace file small.

Kanchana
                            • SystemAdmin
                              SystemAdmin
                              2826 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-30T22:35:23Z  in response to kanchana
                              Hi Kanchana,

I have just talked with our dba. There are thousands of databases on the zos mainframe. They are thinking how to isolate the trace so it won't blow up the whole databases. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Burt
                              • kanchana
                                kanchana
                                147 Posts
                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-01T00:00:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                Burt,
                                You need to get us the client side trace. Try following these steps on the machine that you run testconn40 from
                                1. Run db2trc on -f c:\temp\dmp
                                2. Run testconn40 with the -maxstep switch
                                3. Send us the c:\temp\dmp.

Kanchana
                                • SystemAdmin
                                  SystemAdmin
                                  2826 Posts
                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-01T13:34:24Z  in response to kanchana
                                  Hi Burt,

actually, instread of sending us the actual dump file, could you format it first using db2trc flw and db2trc fmt commands:

1) db2trc flw c:\temp\dmp c:\temp\dmp.flw
                                  2) db2trc fmt c:\temp\dmp c:\temp\dmp.fmt
                                  3) send us the c:\temp\dmp.flw and c:\temp\dmp.fmt

Thanks,
                                  Alex
                                  • SystemAdmin
                                    SystemAdmin
                                    2826 Posts
                                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-02T18:25:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                    HI alex,

The files are too big, dmp=10g, flw=6G fmt=20G

Let me know how you want the files.

Burt
                      • rrv
                        rrv
                        11 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-02T19:29:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Hi, Your dbconn.doc error report says you have not completed the "Configuration Assitant" - first steps. Before that add your current windows user id in both DB2ADMNS and DB2USERS roles in Users and Groups of Computer management in windows. Then run the testconn40.exe.
                        Regards
                        Venkat
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Visual Studio 2010. BIGINT TO LONG VARCHAR

‏2010-10-04T12:08:44Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    It's working right for me the new beta in VS2010.

I get a problem with ESQL executing:

SELECT cast(A.IdReclamacion as Edm.String) FROM EntidadesDB2.Reclamaciones as A

It gives me a DB2 error telling "cannot cast SYSIBM.BIGINT to SYSIBM.LONG VARCHAR".

What can I do?.

Thank you.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Visual Studio 2010. BIGINT TO LONG VARCHAR

‏2010-10-05T16:30:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

thank you for reporting this issue. This is a bug in our provider where in some cases an obsolete LONG VARCHAR data type is being used against which implicit conversion is nto supported. This problem will be resolved in the future releases. In order to go around this problem you can try using Linq to Entities syntax:

var query = from A in EntidadesDB2.Reclamaciones.ToDictionary(A => A.IdReclamacion) select A.Key.ToString();

Regards,
      Alex
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-02T16:37:19Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Hi All,
    Using Windows 7 64 bit w/ VS 2010.
    Running DB2 Enterprise Client 9.7 fp3a
    DB2 Server running on Z/OS 3.9 DB2 v 9.1

Installed 32bit providers and vs addins and everything installed correctly.

With the new support for filtering I am now able to filter to only the schema i need and performance on table/view/sproc retrieval has improved.

The issue that i'm running into now is that when generating from database it brings back the entities but it's not able to infer primary keys or foreign key / associations?

Even though primary keys exist and foreign key/relationships exist. Using ibm data studio 2.2 i'm able to see the keys, fk , relationships.

I get the following message:
    Warning 2 Error 6002: The table/view 'YCCFSSC5.YCCFSSC5.PRODUCTS' does not have a primary key defined. The key has been inferred and the definition was created as a read-only table/view. c:\users\mmanzi.exec\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\WebApplication1\WebApplication1\Model1.edmx 1 1 WebApplication1

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-02T16:58:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

what does z/OS catalog report for constraints for this table? To see what constraints are defined please run the following query:

SELECT CONSTNAME, TYPE FROM SYSIBM.SYSTABCONST WHERE TBNAME=
      'PRODUCTS' AND CREATOR=
      'YCCFSSC5'

Thanks,
      Alex
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2826 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-04T00:37:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Not seeing any rows but if I look at the table under ibm data studio and look under the constraints folder i see the ProductKey column.

What could be the problem?
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2826 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-04T00:43:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Also if I script out the ddl it also has a portion that states:

ALTER TABLE "YCCFSSC5"."PRODUCTS" ADD CONSTRAINT "PRODUCTKEY" PRIMARY KEY ("PRODUCTKEY");
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2826 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-04T14:48:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Can you try to remove the CREATOR predicate and just run the query with the TBNAME predicate. If there is a PK constrint defined on the table it should be showing up.

Thanks,
          Alex
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2826 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-12T09:06:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi All,
            I have Visual Studio 2010 Express edition and I am trying to connect to db2 database at the remote location using the entity data model, but since only sql support is being displayed there, I cannot connect to the database.
            I have already installed the required IBM Data Server Client 9.7 FP3 and the required addin after that but still the db2 option does not apprears.
            Please provide the solution or the helpful links/ screenshots so that I can work using the Entity data model 4.0 with DB2 database at the remote location using Visual Studio 2010 Express edition.

Thanks in advance.

Rajat.
  • Cevin.Mandrell
    Cevin.Mandrell
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-04T00:48:10Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    rrv wrote:
    Hi, We all await complete VS2010 support. VS2008 addins where not complete too. We expect below features.
    1. edmx generation would look for tables.txt file in current folder and build edmx for only tables in that file instead of all tables and time out.
    2. Tables, Views, SPs selection wizard screen to have filter by schema, table name etc.
    3. VS2010 IDE debug support for LInQ Based Stored Procedures via edmx.
    4. Same wizard screen to show native datasources like physical file, logical file etc.
    5. Edmx to support LDAP querying.
    6. Smartly disable the linq query timeout during debug and enable while release.
    7. edmx atleast now to use native ibm.data.informix than older ibm.data.db2.
    8. datareader to support IAsyncResult.
    9. edmx LInQ to support all arithmetic functions.
    Thanks
    RV

I've been looking for the answer for long time, Now I'll try it, Thanks for your answer!
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-12T10:42:03Z  in response to Cevin.Mandrell
      Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Rajat.
      • jthompkins
        jthompkins
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-29T19:07:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        > {quote:title=rajatnigam wrote:}{quote}

> Please provide the solution or the helpful links/ screenshots so that I can work using the Entity data model 4.0 with DB2 database at the remote location using Visual Studio 2010 Express edition.
        >
        > Rajat.

There is no solution. VS 2010 Express edition only supports SQL Server Express and SQL Server Compact Edition. You will have to purchase another edition to get DB2 support.

Jim
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-16T15:06:35Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    Alex,
    SELECT CONSTNAME, TYPE FROM SYSIBM.SYSTABCONST WHERE TBNAME='PRODUCTS'
    returns

1 PRODUCTKEY P
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-16T15:43:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

sorry I should have corrected the query. I need to know the creators. i.e.

SELECT TBCREATOR, CREATOR, CONSTNAME, TYPE FROM SYSIBM.SYSTABCONST WHERE TBNAME=
      'PRODUCTS'

I think the problem might be that the constraint was defined by creator that is diff from the one that created the table. In that case the constraint's parent ID which consists of CREATORTBNAME, would not match the actual table's ID. And that would be a bug in our provider code that we'd need to address.

Thanks,
      Alex
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2826 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-21T13:43:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        My query still remains un-answered, Isnt there any possible way to connect to microsoft entity data model with the db2 database, I have been wondering for the reply since so long, its like screaming in a cave where no one is there to reply, IBM please help.

Rajat.
  • Fisher.Hyde
    Fisher.Hyde
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-31T04:00:53Z  in response to PaulG_TN
    gdt wrote:
    I have not stepped into this discussion in hopes that IBM would react to whats already been voiced as a concern for what appears to be a lack of support.
    The only thing new that I can add is this. My organization has been a supporter and client of the AS400 / iSeries platform since the very first models. However, it, as you SHOULD know suffers from the misunderstanding that it is obsolete and outdated technology. While I as a IT Professional am TRYING to improve the perception of the technology by developing windows / web interfaces I am told by IBM that apparently it lacks priority and as such leaves me in the impossible position of defending the technology. I can't help you or me without your active participation and it is a VERY REAL possibility that we may leave the system.
    You had ample notice of the impending VS2010.

Thank you for your kind attention and I also hope that you understand that if this condition is not corrected and soon that I may be forced by my organiztion to abandon the platform and move on.

Thanks for your sharing! It's very valuable, It is exactly what I need, I understand this part.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2826 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-18T13:28:35Z  in response to Fisher.Hyde
      Now I have even switched to the Visual Studio 2010 Professional-Trial version so that I can connect to the DB2 Database through the entity data model but now as soon as it connects, the editor crashes....
      Is there any possible way so that I can define the library from which the data is to be fetched?
      I am not able to find any option for this, might be the very heavy database is causing the Crash.......
      Any help for this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rajat.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2826 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-18T18:59:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Rajat,

can you please provide more details regarding the crash. Does the whole VS crash? Do you get any errors prior to the crash? I assume you followed that install instructions outlined here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=345634&tstart=0 to set up your client? What is the version and type of the DB2 Server you're connecting to? Can you also please make sure testconn40.exe connectivity test completes successfully. To run testconn40 open command window switch to your db2 client install's bin directory and run testconn40 specifying a connection string for your remote db.

Regards,
        Alex
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2826 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-19T03:49:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Alex,
          Thanks for the message.

Yes, the complete VS2010 crashes, it crashes in the scenario when I create the Domain Service Class and than drag n drop the domain data source to the designer, than second time it crashes at the welcome page only and than looking into the exceptions it displays the objectdisponseexception.
          This is really causing a stumbling block in my development work. I am using DB2Connect and all the latest providers and addins viz: fp3a and they are working fine as well.
          testconn20.exe is working fine, even I can connect to the database also from the entity data model wizard.
          The editor crashes after that only....
          Plz provide teh solution asap.

Thanks in advance for help.

Rajat.
          • rrv
            rrv
            11 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-19T07:12:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi,
            I faced similar problem few times.

In Server Explorer (VS2010) if you have the first DB connection which is not connected, the EF wizard crashes. Even crashed VS2010 few times. Same problem while using Oracle EF provider (Oracle EF Beta).

Remove all unconnected DB connections in server explorer and try again. By my experience it should work.

Good luck
            Venkat