• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-06-17T00:19:06Z by graham40
graham40
graham40
127 Posts

Pinned topic Start a transaction via a Windows XP CMD file

‏2010-01-29T16:45:45Z |
Hello,
I am Windows XP with RDz 7.1.1.3 and TXSeries 6.2.0.1 and my REGION1 is up and running all the time. At any time of day I would like to start a specific CICS transaction on a local terminal from a Windows command line or batch file.

Typically I run a gen1.cmd where udo1 (with its transaction ID parm) and udo2 are REXX's that do stuff after which I immediately want to see the DD1A transaction on screen without manual intervention (see the attachment (without the email bit at the end):

So gen1.cmd contains:

call udo1 DD1A
call udo3
...something like 'cics start REGION1 DD1A' and
a) expecting to see the Main Menu
b) but can't find anything in the documentation that explicity says I can do this
c) and gen1.cmd itself ends while the screen remains alive and active

In my ideal world I will then run gen1 again with a different transaction ID so would then hope to see another CICSTERM window open with my different Main Menu! .. ad infinitum.

Would the Windows answer also be true on a z/OS platform?

Please, thanks
Graham Hobbs
Updated on 2010-06-17T00:19:06Z at 2010-06-17T00:19:06Z by graham40
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

Re: Start a transaction via a Windows XP CMD file

‏2010-06-07T01:00:04Z  
    Hello,
    a) answering myself
    b) guess nobody else is trying to start a CICS transaction directly from a Windows XP command window
    c) will assume it can't be done
  • IainBoyle
    IainBoyle
    37 Posts

‏2010-06-08T08:06:00Z  
    • graham40
    • ‏2010-06-07T01:00:04Z
    Hello,
    a) answering myself
    b) guess nobody else is trying to start a CICS transaction directly from a Windows XP command window
    c) will assume it can't be done
    Graham,

It is possible to start a transaction in CICS from the command line. The good news is that the process is the same regardless of which CICS system you target, TXSeries or z/OS.

To make it work you will need to use the CICS Transaction Gateway (CTG) and make an ECI call from your Windows environment to a transaction in CICS. The target transaction must conform to the DPL subset of commands, which basically means no terminal interaction. If you want to start a transaction on a terminal, you will have to use something like E.C. START from the target transaction.

I haven't looked at the latest CTG version, but it used to ship with a number of sample programs written in C, Cobol and Java that effectively did what you are looking for. Hopefully they are still available.

Hope that helps, Iain
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts

‏2010-06-08T09:50:36Z  
    Apart from the standard way that Iain suggested, you can try this crude way(u need a 3270 emulator).
    1) start cicsteld on some port
    cicsteld -r <regionname> -p port -t <your start transId>

2) if u have hummingbird 3270 emulator
    C:/Program Files/Hummingbird/Connectivity/7.10/HostExplorer/Shl3270.exe -h <hostname> <cicsteldport>

You can put both these in your script and try out if its of some help.
    Only catch here is .. to close the terminal.. u need to manually do a CESF on the terminal. Thats the graceful way. Else u can kill the Shl3270 process.

regards,
    msk
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

‏2010-06-17T00:09:06Z  
    Apart from the standard way that Iain suggested, you can try this crude way(u need a 3270 emulator).

C:/Program Files/Hummingbird/Connectivity/7.10/HostExplorer/Shl3270.exe -h <hostname> <cicsteldport>

Only catch here is .. to close the terminal.. u need to manually do a CESF on the terminal. Thats the graceful way. Else u can kill the Shl3270 process.

regards,
    msk
    msk-tx and Iain,
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

‏2010-06-17T00:19:06Z  

regards,
    msk
    msk-tx, Iain,
    Thanks for those ideas, now have pathways I know can be successfully used - I had no knowledge even where to begin.
    Cheers
    Graham