Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-02-04T16:24:03Z by Eric K
Eric K
Eric K
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic HS22 and QS22 temperature monitoring

‏2010-01-25T21:35:24Z |
What is the best way to read temperature data from a blade, specifically an HS22 or QS22 in a BladeCenter H chassis?

As far as I can tell, the AMM only displays the media tray temperature. My OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 so I originally tried to use the lm_sensors package but it was unable to find any sensors on the HS22. Is there a certain kernel module that I need to read the sensor data? Alternatively, does IBM or Intel offer a program to read this data?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2010-02-04T16:24:03Z at 2010-02-04T16:24:03Z by Eric K
  • HajoEhlers
    HajoEhlers
    72 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: HS22 and QS22 temperature monitoring

‏2010-01-28T15:04:48Z  in response to Eric K
    I think you must install the IPMI Stack and IPMI tools to query the sensors.

Just a few links which might help or give an idea - since nobody else answered.

IPMI on Linux
    http://wiki.adamsweet.org/doku.php?id=ipmi_on_linuxJust

Using Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) on IBM System x Linux Platforms
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/topic/liaai/ipmi/BPipmi.pdf

IPMItool - Tool to connect to an IPMI supported machine
    http://ipmitool.sourceforge.net/
    An example from a IBM x ( HMC ) linux system.
    $ ipmitool -U USERID -P PASSW0RD -H 10.1.0.2 sdr
    Fan 3 Tach | 1350 RPM | ok
    Planar 1.5V | 1.56 Volts | ok
    Ambient Temp | 35 degrees C | ok
    CPU OverTemp | 0x00 | ok
    CPU PFA | Not Readable | ns

hth
    Hajo
  • Eric K
    Eric K
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-28T17:00:09Z  in response to Eric K
    Thanks! That looks promising. Unfortunately, I won't be able to look into that more until Monday. I'll post back here with my results though.

Since making my first post I was able to use lm_sensors with the coretemp module loaded into the kernel to read 16 CPU sensors from the HS22. Our HS22 has 2x quad-core Xeons with HT. I know most OSes will read that as 16 CPUs, but I'm was really only expecting 8 sensors (one per core). The only problem with using lm_sensors is that the latest kernel for RHEL/CentOS 5.4 doesn't support the coretemp module. I was doing all of my testing from an Ubuntu 9.10 x64 LiveCD. I'd love to be able to get temperature sensing from RHEL/CentOS.
  • Eric K
    Eric K
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-03T15:19:39Z  in response to Eric K
    OK, so I got the IPMI driver loaded and the IPMI-tool running but I don't see any temperatures.

I see some lines like the ones listed below:

CPU 1 OverTemp | 0x01 | OK
    DIMM 1 Temp | 0x01 | OK

Anymore suggestions?
    • HajoEhlers
      HajoEhlers
      72 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-03T16:01:54Z  in response to Eric K
      From a ESX running on a HS22 i also do not see the temperatur value - just a OK where on a DELL the value is given.

But from the AMM i can see - sorry not checked before.

system> env -T system:blade[1]
      OK
      system:blade[1]> temps
      Hard Warning
      Component Value Warning Shutdown Reset

CPU 1 Temp 40.00 94.00 125.00 89.00
      CPU 2 Temp 36.00 94.00 125.00 89.00
      In case you only need the temperture i would go the AMM way and skip IPMI since this requries the IPMI stack to be installed where the AMM way is OS independend

hth
      Hajo
      Just found a link:
      Using Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) on IBM Linux Platforms
      http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/liaai/ipmi/ipmikick.htm
  • Eric K
    Eric K
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-03T21:02:52Z  in response to Eric K
    Thanks for all your help so far, Hajo, but I'm not quite finished yet.

Using the AMM to read the sensor data will be sufficient for us and should be simpler. I tried it out and it read temperatures for our QS22s but not for our HS22. When I run the temps command it says "No temperature available for blade[3]" I've tried this with two different HS22s now with the same result.

Also thank you for taking the time to find that other link for me, but it is simply an online version of the pdf you had linked in your first post. I've been using that first pdf quite a bit.
    • HajoEhlers
      HajoEhlers
      72 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-03T23:59:50Z  in response to Eric K
      > I tried it out and it read temperatures for our QS22s but not for our HS22

Ups - i am very sorry - we have JS12 and HS22 blades and i tested the JS12 and not the HS22

An output from our HS22 gives:

system:blade[4]> temps
      No temperature available for blade[4]

I just checked the Service Guide for the HS22 and it mention led for displaying errors.
      ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_cluster/49y0127.pdf

A quick test
      $ system:blade[4]> led -l
      Component Label State Location
      Blade4 OverTemp Off System board

so you can check at least the state. In case an error arise the AMM should have more information - Error code is somewhere in the service guide

hth
      Hajo
      • Eric K
        Eric K
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-04T16:24:03Z  in response to HajoEhlers
        Hmm, so it looks like the only way I have to read temperature data from an HS22 is to use lm_sensors which requires Linux kernel 2.6.22 or later. Since RHEL 5.4 is only using kernel 2.6.18 I'll need to have a second OS install of Fedora just for testing purposes.

Thanks for all your help, and if you think of anything else, please let me know.