Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-01-22T13:52:01Z by SystemAdmin
keithGell
keithGell
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Export models from Tau into DOORS with classes & attributes

‏2010-01-21T16:43:59Z |
Is it the case that only those elements in the UML model seen in the 'analyst view', are saved in DOORS?

The reason I ask is that I want to create distinct models in Tau, for both the specification and the design, and then link them for traceability in DOORS.

For example, I would have a logical signal class in the specification called "StartSlowTest" (hypothetical names are in quotes).

This would be implemented as setting the 3rd bit of the "CommandWord" in the "GeneralMessage" in the design, so I would want to link "SlowStartMessage", in the specification, to attribute "CommandWord" and signal class "GeneralMessage", with a DOORS link.

In my model, only the analyst view is exported to DOORS, and so doors only contains whole diagrams. This does not give me the level of granularity (at the class & attribute level described above) I need to trace from specification to design. As far as I can see, at present I can only trace between diagrams, and not the necessary elements within diagrams.

Is it possible to export models from Tau into DOORS at the level of granularity of the class & attribute?

Keith
Updated on 2010-01-22T13:52:01Z at 2010-01-22T13:52:01Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    147 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Export models from Tau into DOORS with classes & attributes

‏2010-01-22T10:06:07Z  in response to keithGell
    Keith

Which versions of Analyst/Tau are you using? I'm using Tau 4.3, although many of the comment below apply to previous versions.

You should find that the classes and attributes of your Analyst model are also created in DOORS as objects in the module containing the analyst model. These objects are created/updated when you save the model, although of course you have to save the module too to make any model changes permanent. These objects like any other DOORS object can of course be source or target for DOORS links.

The Analyst view does restrict which UML elements are created as objects, for example operations aren't, although classes and attributes are, along with actor, component, node, package, subject, system and usecase. Before you ask, no I don't understand why it is this particular subset of UML. If you are using Analyst/Tau 4.3 and know that you want other UML elements in the model exposed as objects in the module, then when you create the model select 'UML for Modeling' rather than 'UML for Analyst', although of course this will make almost everything visible as objects. Don't forget that you can filter the objects in DOORS by make the DOORS attribute 'UML Kind' visible and using normal DOORS filtering to make just the elements you are interested in visible.

Each of your models will be in a seperate DOORS module, but you can add a model to an existing open Tau project so both appear in the same Tau project. I think (haven't checked this) these settings get saved when you save the project, so next time you open the first model the Tau project will open the other model too.

You can work at linking either from a DOORS perspective, i.e. create the models using Analyst/Tau then go back to DOORS and link the objects, or you could open both models in Analyst and do the linking there. IIRC if you do the linking in Analyst/Tau you won't be able to control the link module where the links are stored, it uses the default link module. Not sure if this has been improved in 4.3. Also if you want to link to non-model objects you will have to import these objects into Analyst/Tau as 'requirements' to be able to link to them. If you do the linking in DOORS then your DOORS schema can control where links get stored, and you can link any object to any other object. Depends on the sophistication/needs of your DOORS usage whether controlling the link module matters; using default link modules is generally not good style because there is no way of preventing link spaghetti, but being pragmatic that may not matter if your project is small and has experienced users who know to create links carefully.

Regards
    Ian
    • keithGell
      keithGell
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-22T11:43:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Ian

I am using Tau 4.3.0.0.13660 and DOORS 9.2.0.1.

I was oringinally using the "UML for modeling" metamodel, but DOORS was taking almost 1 hours to load Tau, and then over 1 hour to save it back into DOORS.

Because of this I switched to "UML for Analyst", and started to rewrite the model. Af ther the model reached a certain size, I got the same problem with delays again.

Keith
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        147 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-22T13:52:01Z  in response to keithGell
        Assuming you're on maintenance, you should raise a support case on the slow performance.

Do you see the class and attribute objects (corresponding to the UML classes and their attributes) in the DOORS module? I just tried it with 4.3 and DOORS 9.2 and they are definitely created for me.