13 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-22T17:40:05Z by shankar04
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
515 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic TPC error status 12: GUI0023M

‏2010-01-14T07:16:20Z |
Hello,

I am working on the TPC version 4.1 & am not able to log in. Whenever I try to so, I get the error as seen in enclosed screen shot. I am new to the world of TPC & this error has persisted for more than 120 hours now.

Please help!

Regards
Updated on 2010-06-05T06:16:14Z at 2010-06-05T06:16:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • pflaemig
    pflaemig
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: TPC error status 12: GUI0023M

‏2010-01-14T08:49:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,
    please check in the computer management if the "IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center - Data Server" service is running.
    If not, start it. (If this service is stopped, you can start TPC and fill in userid and password, but it will end up in the above error)

Also, check if DB2 is started correctly according to the following explanation from infocenter:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v4r1/index.jsp

GUI0023M Unable to connect to server after reboot.
    If abnormal behaviors are observed which might be related to or impact DB2, be sure to stop your DB2 instance properly before you perform a system reboot. If you do not stop DB2 properly, DB2 might take a long time to start. This will also cause IBM TotalStorage Productivity Center to not start.

Regards
  • JohannaHislop
    JohannaHislop
    101 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-14T15:52:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Previous suggestions for things to check are good. Also, which operating system are you using for the TPC server and for the GUI?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      515 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-15T02:29:39Z  in response to JohannaHislop
      Thank You. This is indeed the case. The service "IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center - Data Server" is not running.

Also, we have the Windows server 2008 as the OS.

I have also observed that another service "IBM Websphere Application Server v6.1 - Device server" is stopped. Does this also affect the TPC login?

Can some one please explain the following:

1. What are the implications of these services stopping apart from TPC log in
      error?
      2. What causes these services to stop? The start up type is "automatic" for both
      of them.
      3. Is there any thing I need to keep in mind while restarting these services?

Regards
      • pflaemig
        pflaemig
        24 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-15T13:35:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello,
        your questions are not easy to answer without knowing more about your TPC server setup, configuration and environment that is being monitored.
        Was TPC running before or is the problem occuring right after a fresh installation?

If possible, reboot the server and check, if the services are running. If you installed the Agent Manager with embedded Websphere, the Websphere service belongs to it and should run either.
        If the service(s) fail again after reboot and login, I would recommend to contact support. There is a batchfile in the TPC subdirectory <TPC>\service, called service.bat. It collects important TPC data for support analysis. Run it and keep the zip file for support.

If you can login and TPC starts working normally, it could be, that your TPC configuration i.e wrong probe scheduling (extensive memory usage) may cause the TPC service to terminate unexpectedly.
        A good place to look for configuration help(beside the installation and users guide) is this redbook:
        http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=40&context=SSBSEX&context=SSMN28&context=SSMMUP&context=SS8JB5&context=SS8JFM&q1=best+practice+4.1&uid=swg27017573&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Regards
        Regards.
      • JohannaHislop
        JohannaHislop
        101 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-15T14:05:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Both Data Server and Device Server need to be running to fully utilize TPC. Without Device Server running, most of the discovery and probe actions cannot occur. There really is nothing special to keep in mind as you start them. They can start or stop in either order. Having them automatic is good. Curious whether your service stops immediately (like a failed start up) or if it goes down after a while. If you continue to have trouble keeping the services running after starting the Device Server, contacting support with the service zip would be beneficial.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          515 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-16T06:08:45Z  in response to JohannaHislop
          Thank You for your replies.

I will be starting the services today & will observe them as per your advice for some days.

Please watch this space as I will come back with the results irrespective of the status.

Have a great weekend.....

Kind Regards
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            515 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-19T12:39:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hello All,

I have not yet restarted my services. I decided to dig in further for the logs of the TPC data, TPC device & GUI.

The results are as follows:

1. TPC data:

==================================================================================

SRV0011I: Server startup initiated. Config file: server.config
            GEN0096I: PID = 432
            SRV0178I: Trying again to connect to repository database...
            SRV0044E: Unable to connect to repository database.
            Please ensure that the repository database is up and running.
            Driver: com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver@322a322a
            URL:jdbc:db2://localhost:50000/TPCDB
            SQLSTATE: 28000, Vendor error code: -4214
            jcct4201311249http://3.53.70
            SRV0014E: Server shutting down due to errors -
            exit code 56
            SRV0177E: Server startup failed because the server
            was unable to connect to the repository database.
            This type of error typically occurs when the repository database
            is down. Please ensure that your repository RDBMS is up and running and
            then restart the server.
            SRV0013I: Shutdown complete.

I have not posted the audit trace log file results here. Let me know if they are required.
            =================================================================================

2. TPC Device:

==============================================================================

ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file C:\Program
            Files\IBM\TPC\device\apps\was\profiles\deviceServer\logs\server1\startServer.log
            ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the deviceServer profile
            ADMU3100I: Reading configuration for server: server1
            ADMU3200I: Server launched. Waiting for initialization status.
            ADMU3011E: Server launched but failed initialization. startServer.log,
            SystemOut.log(or job log in zOS) and other log files under
            C:\Program
            Files\IBM\TPC\device\apps\was\profiles\deviceServer\logs\server1
            should contain failure information.

the above mentioned path contains many files with too large a data to post here
            ==============================================================================

3. TPC GUI:

============================================================================

No logs

============================================================================

From the above, I have concluded that:

a) The server was rebooted without stopping the DB services.
            b) The DB might have now corrupted or crashed (ouch!)
            c) so, I will have to bring up the DB first without which the TPC issue will not be resolved even if i start the TPC related services.

Am I thinking on the right path?

What else do I need to check?

Regards
            • JohannaHislop
              JohannaHislop
              101 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-19T14:21:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Rebooting without stopping DB2 should not be a concern. You are on the right path by trying to get DB2 up and running and then to look at starting the TPC services. Once you have DB2 started, you can check its basic functionality using the sample info given in the TPC installation guide or by doing some basic tests such as trying to connect to an existing db (TPCDB). If you can get a connection, then try to start the TPC services and see if they are able to connect.
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                515 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-01T14:56:01Z  in response to JohannaHislop
                Hello, I checked the status of the DB2 using the health monitor & got the following error:

A DB2 Administration Server communication error has been detected. Client system: "xx.xx.xx.xx". Server system "xx.xx.xx.xx". (both IP addresses are same)

The troubleshooting steps were as follows:

1. From the DB2 Command line processor i.e. CLP typed '*select * from tab*;' the tables for that database should be displayed. In my case, it is not getting displayed with the error message as '*no connection to the database*' exists.

2. To connect to the database, from the CLP, I typed the command as '*CONNECT TO <databasename> USER <userid> USING <password>*. The username & password are the OS username & password on which DB2 is installed.

After this was done, I could briefly see my DB as connected & healthy; however, the connection 'timed-out' after some time and this keeps on happening again & again.

What is the possible reason for this?

I am attaching a doc with my proposed checkpoints & troubleshooting. Kindly let me know if it is on the correct path?

I have a feeling that I am overlooking something minor but very important.

Any help in this matter is highly appreciated.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  515 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-02T10:04:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Thank You everyone for your replies. We have solved this error.

Kind Regards
                  • Ch_M_Re
                    Ch_M_Re
                    9 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-23T16:21:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Just curious because I'm having the same issue. What did you do to solve this problem?
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      515 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-05T06:16:14Z  in response to Ch_M_Re
                      Hi Chris,

The TPC services were restarted using the user ID & associated password used at time of installation. Only thing to take care of was that the services need to be started in correct order.

Hope this helps.
                      • shankar04
                        shankar04
                        1 Post
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-22T17:40:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi,

I have been facing the same issue , except that I have tried to restart the services in the windows box.

Apparently this box restarted few days ago as was in hung state and hence causing the issue of unable to log into the TPC.

I tried the username and password to test the connection and I get a error msg like SQL50057.

I have done db2stop and db2 start and still no luck.

Yes i have tried rebooting the server and still same.

could someone specify please in which order i need to be restarting the TPC services please ?

Also i find in the windows services that one of the services like DB2DASS0 is not started, just wondering if this has something to do with it ?I tried to start it as db2 user and still wont start..not sure why.

Any help please ?