Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-01-21T14:53:13Z by Julian
bkit
bkit
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RUP process framework

‏2010-01-13T14:05:34Z |
Hi, I am new to RUP. I read on http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/rup/ that:
The RUP process framework with Rational Method Composer provides:

Processes based on the best practices adopted in thousands of projects worldwide.....

Capability patterns that allow project managers to rapidly add or remove reusable chunks of processes addressing common problems....

Ready-to-use delivery processes to provide the project manager with a quick starting point for planning and initiating a project

I have installed RMC 7.5. Can I connect above content with this:

Processes: Classic RUP (for large projects), RUP for small Projects and RUP for Medium Projects ?

Capability patterns and ready-to-use delivery processes those that are in base_rup plug-in?

Thanks a lot for any help!
Updated on 2010-01-21T14:53:13Z at 2010-01-21T14:53:13Z by Julian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3545 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RUP process framework

‏2010-01-13T14:36:55Z  in response to bkit
    Hi,

I don't understand your question, but if you could elaborate I would be happy to help.

RMC ships with two libraries: 1) RUP library (default); and 2) IBM Practices Library.

The "Classic RUP (for large projects)", "RUP for Small projects" and "RUP for Medium Projects" (and others) Configurations and associated Delivery Processes are pre-defined in the RUP Library.

If you open this library in RMC and select the authoring view you will see the list of pre-defined configurations in the Library view under the Configurations node. There is also a drop down list in the upper right of the user interface to select a configuration.

If you select a configuration (RUP for Small Projects" for example, you can view the Delivery Processes and Capability patters defined by expanding the "Processes" node in the Configuration view.

The easiest way to view the definitions of these elements (DP, CPs) in the library is to select a configuration, open the relevant CP or DP from the Configuration view, then select the "Link with Editor" tool button on the Library view (left and right pointing arrows appear on this button). This will show you where the element current open in the editor lives in the library.

You can publish a given configuration (to HTML, Word or PDF) from the Configuration Menu.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions I would be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Chris Sibbald
    RMC Product Manager
    • bkit
      bkit
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-21T14:05:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Cris thanks a lot for your answer. But I read also on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Rational_Method_Composer :
      The IBM Rational Method Composer (RMC) is a commercial product (built on top of Eclipse) for authoring, configuring, viewing, and publishing processes.
      The RUP process framework within IBM Rational Method Composer includes:
      • A process content library based on the best practices adopted in thousands of RUP projects worldwide.
      • Out-of-the-box delivery processes to provide the project manager with a quick starting point for planning and initiating a project. A delivery process will provide an initial project template, identify what milestones to have in the project, what work products to be delivered by each milestone, and what resources are needed for each phase.
      • Capability patterns that allow project managers to rapidly add or remove reusable chunks of processes addressing common problems. Since no two projects are alike, project managers need to rapidly modify the process to address the specific project needs.

My question is. What is physically RUP process framework within RMC? And what are
      “names” of a process content library, out of the box delivery process and capability patterns of this RUP process framework within RMC?

Thanks for help!!!
      • Julian
        Julian
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-21T14:53:13Z  in response to bkit
        Boris,
        Have a look at the Process Library page. It explains the standard configurations and all the available plugins:
        http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/rmc/library/

Then you should look at the Practices page in developerWorks that explains the Practice Library solutions too:
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/practices/

Regards,
        Julian

Julian Holmes
        Co-Founder
        Unified Process Mentors

E. Julian@UPMentors.com
        W. www.UPMentors.com