Topic
  • 21 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-04-17T11:44:29Z by Platapus
Kyle Carroll
Kyle Carroll
7 Posts

Pinned topic Dump Analyzer - JVMJ9VM015W Failed to instantiate heap; 1600M requested

‏2010-01-07T15:36:32Z |
Hi,

We have been trying to use IBM Support Assistance tool on our Windows XP
SR3 laptops for some time now and not being very successful.

I have downloaded WebSphere Application Server (WAS) V6.1 tools to help
us analyze some issues we periodically have with applications running in
WAS V6.1.0.21 and V6.1.0.27.

I have created a JAVACORE dump of a WAS server and downloaded it to my
laptop then trying to run it through "IBM Monitoring and Diagnostic
Tools for Java - Dump Analyzer" then subset tool of "WebSphere
Application Server > General > WASBasicInfo and keep getting the
following error:

JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to
instantiate heap; 1600M requested
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

I have 4 gig of memory on my computer and nearly 2 gig available.

Please help me resolve this issue so I may use ISA.

Thanks,
Kyle.
Updated on 2010-04-17T11:44:29Z at 2010-04-17T11:44:29Z by Platapus
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    642 Posts

Re: Dump Analyzer - JVMJ9VM015W Failed to instantiate heap; 1600M requested

‏2010-01-14T15:57:00Z  
    The following may help (taken from help for Memory Analyzer). On my machine (3GB, Windows XP SP2) I have:
    vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx1280m
    To set the maximum heap size you can add a property value to the rcpinstall.properties file.

Updating the rcpinstall.properties file
    The rcpinstall.properties file resides in the following workspace location:

For Windows:
    <home drive><home path>\IBM\ISAv41\.config\rcpinstall.properties
    For Linux:
    <home>/ibm/isa41/.config/rcpinstall.properties
    Add or update the value for vmarg.Xmx property. For example:

vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx512m

You will need to restart ISA for the change to take effect.
  • Kyle Carroll
    Kyle Carroll
    7 Posts

‏2010-01-14T21:19:26Z  
    The following may help (taken from help for Memory Analyzer). On my machine (3GB, Windows XP SP2) I have:
    vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx1280m
    To set the maximum heap size you can add a property value to the rcpinstall.properties file.

Updating the rcpinstall.properties file
    The rcpinstall.properties file resides in the following workspace location:

For Windows:
    <home drive><home path>\IBM\ISAv41\.config\rcpinstall.properties
    For Linux:
    <home>/ibm/isa41/.config/rcpinstall.properties
    Add or update the value for vmarg.Xmx property. For example:

vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx512m

You will need to restart ISA for the change to take effect.
    HI,

Thanks for your assistance but it didn't appear to have any affect on my issue.

I used "vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx1280m" as you did and still get the same error.

This leads me to believe that 1600M is being set somewhere else other than the file you had me edit.

Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kyle.
  • Kyle Carroll
    Kyle Carroll
    7 Posts

‏2010-03-23T14:04:23Z  
    HI,

Thanks for your assistance but it didn't appear to have any affect on my issue.

I used "vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx1280m" as you did and still get the same error.

This leads me to believe that 1600M is being set somewhere else other than the file you had me edit.

Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kyle.
    Hi, Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
  • Platapus
    Platapus
    6 Posts

‏2010-03-28T16:20:10Z  
    Hi, Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
    Unfortunately, I do not have a solution for you and I am having the same problem.

One thing that I noticed was that you mentioned you produced a JAVACORE but IBM has noted the following before use of the tool:

"This tool runs a variety of specialized analyzers to extract information from a JVM system dump (core file)."

This is different than a JAVACORE file. So I would like to know what WAS Generic JVM arguments you are using if any at all and how you are generating the file.

Another concern I have is that if IBM is asking us to increase the memory in the "vmarg.Xmx=" property then there is a know limitation for users that have upgraded to 4.1.1 of the ISA Workbench:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27016886

See: After Upgrading to v4.1.1 the IBM Support Assistant Workbench does not restart
    The problem for me is if I increase the memory I cannot even start the Workbench. What version of ISA Workbench do you have?

I have posted the following and I hoping we can get more insight also via that thread:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=323536
    developerWorks > WebSphere > Forums > WebSphere Application Server > Correct Generic JVM arguments to generate a core file manually.
  • Kyle Carroll
    Kyle Carroll
    7 Posts

‏2010-03-30T19:43:12Z  
    • Platapus
    • ‏2010-03-28T16:20:10Z
    Unfortunately, I do not have a solution for you and I am having the same problem.

One thing that I noticed was that you mentioned you produced a JAVACORE but IBM has noted the following before use of the tool:

"This tool runs a variety of specialized analyzers to extract information from a JVM system dump (core file)."

This is different than a JAVACORE file. So I would like to know what WAS Generic JVM arguments you are using if any at all and how you are generating the file.

Another concern I have is that if IBM is asking us to increase the memory in the "vmarg.Xmx=" property then there is a know limitation for users that have upgraded to 4.1.1 of the ISA Workbench:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27016886

See: After Upgrading to v4.1.1 the IBM Support Assistant Workbench does not restart
    The problem for me is if I increase the memory I cannot even start the Workbench. What version of ISA Workbench do you have?

I have posted the following and I hoping we can get more insight also via that thread:

developerWorks > WebSphere > Forums > WebSphere Application Server > Correct Generic JVM arguments to generate a core file manually.
    Hi,

I may have originally tried a JAVACORE but I have tried a JVM System Dump that has been run through jextract and I get the same error message.

This JVM System Dump is produced from z/OS 1.9 (mainframe) which is where our WAS environments are.

I am running ISA Version: 4.1.1.0 Build id: 090921-43

Who owns this tool running inside ISA? I understand from IBM that ISA is support through IBMLINK but the tool add-ons that we are having a problem with is only supported by these forums.
    These forums are taking 1 week to 3 months between any response and still haven't spoken to anyone that knows a solution.

How can IBM release these tools and expect them to be used if there are problems and little to no support.

Thanks,
    Kyle.
  • stevedownload
    stevedownload
    8 Posts

‏2010-03-31T22:58:31Z  
    Hi,

I may have originally tried a JAVACORE but I have tried a JVM System Dump that has been run through jextract and I get the same error message.

This JVM System Dump is produced from z/OS 1.9 (mainframe) which is where our WAS environments are.

I am running ISA Version: 4.1.1.0 Build id: 090921-43

Who owns this tool running inside ISA? I understand from IBM that ISA is support through IBMLINK but the tool add-ons that we are having a problem with is only supported by these forums.
    These forums are taking 1 week to 3 months between any response and still haven't spoken to anyone that knows a solution.

How can IBM release these tools and expect them to be used if there are problems and little to no support.

Thanks,
    Kyle.
    Hi, Kyle,
    I think you are encountering the similar problem as other JVM tools documented in the technote:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/post!reply.jspa?messageID=14451469

It says:
    On Windows, the maximum heap value is set in the following line in the bin\startup.vbs file:

command = command & " -Xms512M -Xmx1600M"

So please find the startup.vbs file and tune it down (bit by bit by trial and error until it works, assuming you have sufficient free memory to meet the minimum requirement).

Hope this help.
    -Steve
  • Platapus
    Platapus
    6 Posts

‏2010-04-01T03:22:00Z  
    Hi, Kyle,
    I think you are encountering the similar problem as other JVM tools documented in the technote:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/post!reply.jspa?messageID=14451469

It says:
    On Windows, the maximum heap value is set in the following line in the bin\startup.vbs file:

command = command & " -Xms512M -Xmx1600M"

So please find the startup.vbs file and tune it down (bit by bit by trial and error until it works, assuming you have sufficient free memory to meet the minimum requirement).

Hope this help.
    -Steve
    Hi Steve,

I have been following this thread also.

The link to the technote takes us right back to this thread to post a response. Can you try posting it again please.

Also, where exactly is the bin\startup.vbs file?
  • stevedownload
    stevedownload
    8 Posts

‏2010-04-01T03:35:35Z  
    • Platapus
    • ‏2010-04-01T03:22:00Z
    Hi Steve,

I have been following this thread also.

The link to the technote takes us right back to this thread to post a response. Can you try posting it again please.

Also, where exactly is the bin\startup.vbs file?
    My apology, messed up in the cut and paste....
    Here is the technote:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3533&context=SSJKLP&uid=swg21358343

I assume the .vbs is a VisualBasic script for starting up JVM tools.
    Frankly, I don't have the software installed on Windows since I use Linux. You may just do a brute force search for the script.

-Steve
  • Kyle Carroll
    Kyle Carroll
    7 Posts

‏2010-04-01T14:25:33Z  
    My apology, messed up in the cut and paste....
    Here is the technote:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3533&context=SSJKLP&uid=swg21358343

I assume the .vbs is a VisualBasic script for starting up JVM tools.
    Frankly, I don't have the software installed on Windows since I use Linux. You may just do a brute force search for the script.

-Steve
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information and link to this similar problem.

I am not able to find any file on my computer by the name of startup.vbs

I also verified under by folder options view that I am not restricted from seeing hidden files or folders or protected operating files. So if it is on my computer then I should have found it.

Is that the correct name or could it be different?

Thanks,
    Kyle.
  • stevedownload
    stevedownload
    8 Posts

‏2010-04-03T09:11:17Z  
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information and link to this similar problem.

I am not able to find any file on my computer by the name of startup.vbs

I also verified under by folder options view that I am not restricted from seeing hidden files or folders or protected operating files. So if it is on my computer then I should have found it.

Is that the correct name or could it be different?

Thanks,
    Kyle.
    Hi, Kyle,
    I couldn't find the start.sh in my Linux environment either. I did a lot of digging around the ISA install directory and sub-directories, hoping to find the 1600M setting in some config/properties file but failed to find any.
    But I found a way to run the Dump Analyzer outside of ISA :
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.isav4.doc/docs/runOutside.html

In my Linux environment, I couldn't find some jar files in the above documentation. I tried the following setup, it seems to work:
    1. Find the following jar files in the ISA subdirectories:
    dtfj.jar dumpAnalyzer.jar
    2. Copy the above two jar files to /ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659 (this is directory in my environment where the coreAnalyzers.jar file is, find the corresponding folder in your Windows environment)
    3. cd to /ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659, there should be a "sml" subdirectory.
    copy the general.sml file from the "sml" subdirectory into the current directory.
    4. I have a core file called core.7152. I used jextract to format this core file and I got the core.7152.xml file
    5. Copy core.7152 and core.7152.xml to the current directory (i.e./ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659)
    6. By now, /ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659 should contain something like:
    META-INF core.7152 core.7152.xml coreAnalyzers.jar dbda_problem.log dtfj.jar dumpAnalyzer.jar general.sml index.html my.out plugin.xml sml
    7. I then execute the dump analyzer as follow:
    java -cp coreAnalyzers.jar:dumpAnalyzer.jar -Xbootclasspath/p:dtfj.jar com.ibm.dtfj.analyzer.base.DumpAnalyzer core.7152

Hope this helps.
    -Steve
  • Kyle Carroll
    Kyle Carroll
    7 Posts

‏2010-04-06T18:23:35Z  
    Hi, Kyle,
    I couldn't find the start.sh in my Linux environment either. I did a lot of digging around the ISA install directory and sub-directories, hoping to find the 1600M setting in some config/properties file but failed to find any.
    But I found a way to run the Dump Analyzer outside of ISA :
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.isav4.doc/docs/runOutside.html

In my Linux environment, I couldn't find some jar files in the above documentation. I tried the following setup, it seems to work:
    1. Find the following jar files in the ISA subdirectories:
    dtfj.jar dumpAnalyzer.jar
    2. Copy the above two jar files to /ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659 (this is directory in my environment where the coreAnalyzers.jar file is, find the corresponding folder in your Windows environment)
    3. cd to /ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659, there should be a "sml" subdirectory.
    copy the general.sml file from the "sml" subdirectory into the current directory.
    4. I have a core file called core.7152. I used jextract to format this core file and I got the core.7152.xml file
    5. Copy core.7152 and core.7152.xml to the current directory (i.e./ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659)
    6. By now, /ibm/isa41/applications/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.dbda.core_2.2.2.20090926232659 should contain something like:
    META-INF core.7152 core.7152.xml coreAnalyzers.jar dbda_problem.log dtfj.jar dumpAnalyzer.jar general.sml index.html my.out plugin.xml sml
    7. I then execute the dump analyzer as follow:
    java -cp coreAnalyzers.jar:dumpAnalyzer.jar -Xbootclasspath/p:dtfj.jar com.ibm.dtfj.analyzer.base.DumpAnalyzer core.7152

Hope this helps.
    -Steve
    Hi Steve,

We would really like to get the tool to work in ISA so we can look at a variety of output it can produce for us.

Sure would be nice if at least the person that wrote the tool can monitor these threads and assist. I have been told that IBM supports ISA but not the tools that run in ISA, like this one.

If you or anyone else finds a solution to this problem then I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
    Kyle.
  • PeteRobbins
    PeteRobbins
    51 Posts

‏2010-04-07T07:12:57Z  
    Hi Steve,

We would really like to get the tool to work in ISA so we can look at a variety of output it can produce for us.

Sure would be nice if at least the person that wrote the tool can monitor these threads and assist. I have been told that IBM supports ISA but not the tools that run in ISA, like this one.

If you or anyone else finds a solution to this problem then I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
    Kyle.
    When Dump Analzyer launches from ISA it starts up in a separate JVM with a default Xmx=1600m. To override the heap size used by the Dump Analyzer JVM you can set the option "-vmargs:-Xmx1400M" (or any other desired size) in the "Optional Parameters" field at the bottom of the DumpAnalyzer "launcher" screen inside ISA.
  • stevedownload
    stevedownload
    8 Posts

‏2010-04-07T13:37:43Z  
    When Dump Analzyer launches from ISA it starts up in a separate JVM with a default Xmx=1600m. To override the heap size used by the Dump Analyzer JVM you can set the option "-vmargs:-Xmx1400M" (or any other desired size) in the "Optional Parameters" field at the bottom of the DumpAnalyzer "launcher" screen inside ISA.
    Pete, thanks a lot!

I specified "-help" in the Optional Parameters field as mentioned in the article:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-ibmtools1/#isa but I didn't see JVM options (i.e. the -vmargs option you pointed out) in the list of available options. Is this documented anywhere? Thanks.

-Steve
  • PeteRobbins
    PeteRobbins
    51 Posts

‏2010-04-07T22:07:17Z  
    Pete, thanks a lot!

I specified "-help" in the Optional Parameters field as mentioned in the article:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-ibmtools1/#isa but I didn't see JVM options (i.e. the -vmargs option you pointed out) in the list of available options. Is this documented anywhere? Thanks.

-Steve
    This is not currently documented.

I will ensure that it does get documented asap.
  • Kyle Carroll
    Kyle Carroll
    7 Posts

‏2010-04-08T12:37:37Z  
    This is not currently documented.

I will ensure that it does get documented asap.
    Hi Pete and Steve,

"-vmargs:-Xmx1200M" seemed to work but "-vmargs:-Xmx1400M" did not work. I am happy with this solution. Thanks for all your help.

Kyle.
  • Platapus
    Platapus
    6 Posts

‏2010-04-09T00:29:11Z  
    Thanks Pete your recommendation appears to have worked for me also.

I take it when you say you will update the documentation you mean you will be updating the information in the help section with this information. It would also be nice to know how to run multiple parameters and most importantly and example of how the help command works.

I am having a problem with the tool analyzing dumps generated manually from WebSphere 6.0. Dump Analyzer reports the following in the error section:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The Dump Analyzer has been unable to process the system dump you have provided. A possible reason for this is that this system dump has not been processed by jextract. Please check that jextract has been run against this system dump.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I created my dumps manually based on the following documentation:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg21115785

I run jextract based on the following documentation including recommendations to prevent truncated core:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg21104706

Here are the results.

/apps01/WebSphere60/AppServer/java/jre/bin/jextract -o core.sdff core.20100327.195426.22008.0001.dmp
    JVMRAS041: Core file appears to be truncated. Diagnostics may be missing from the output
    JVMRAS002: Could not find eyecatcher HPIRAS in core file.
    JVMRAS003: Could not find eyecatcher JVMRAS in core file.
    JVMRAS004: Unable to find JVM data in the core file. The core file may be truncated or it may be incompatible with jextract.

Any ideas how I can solve this. I have another post opened at:

Thanks
  • stevedownload
    stevedownload
    8 Posts

‏2010-04-14T15:32:35Z  
    • Platapus
    • ‏2010-04-09T00:29:11Z

I take it when you say you will update the documentation you mean you will be updating the information in the help section with this information. It would also be nice to know how to run multiple parameters and most importantly and example of how the help command works.

I am having a problem with the tool analyzing dumps generated manually from WebSphere 6.0. Dump Analyzer reports the following in the error section:

The Dump Analyzer has been unable to process the system dump you have provided. A possible reason for this is that this system dump has not been processed by jextract. Please check that jextract has been run against this system dump.

I run jextract based on the following documentation including recommendations to prevent truncated core:

Here are the results.

/apps01/WebSphere60/AppServer/java/jre/bin/jextract -o core.sdff core.20100327.195426.22008.0001.dmp
    JVMRAS041: Core file appears to be truncated. Diagnostics may be missing from the output
    JVMRAS004: Unable to find JVM data in the core file. The core file may be truncated or it may be incompatible with jextract.

Thanks
    In the dump analyzer launcher, specify "-help" in the "Optional Parameters" field at the bottom and click "Analyze". The output will contain the help information.(see attached screenshot).

From what you described, jextract complained your core file is truncated. Therefore dump analyzer will report error since it's trying to use the formatted output from jextract. The problem should be in your original system core dump. What is the file size of your java core file?

-Steve
  • stevedownload
    stevedownload
    8 Posts

‏2010-04-15T01:02:57Z  
    • Platapus
    • ‏2010-04-09T00:29:11Z

Here are the results.

Thanks
    I read your other post: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=323536
    Just want to make sure I understand it correctly,
    1. You managed to generate WAS6.1 core dumps, jextract and dump analyzer work fine with these core dumps.
    2. You generated WAS6.0 core dumps, but jextract complained these dumps might be truncated. As a result, dump analyzer also post error.
    Is this your situation?
    -Steve
  • Platapus
    Platapus
    6 Posts

‏2010-04-17T11:34:49Z  
    I read your other post: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=323536
    Just want to make sure I understand it correctly,
    1. You managed to generate WAS6.1 core dumps, jextract and dump analyzer work fine with these core dumps.
    2. You generated WAS6.0 core dumps, but jextract complained these dumps might be truncated. As a result, dump analyzer also post error.
    Is this your situation?
    -Steve
    Hi Steve and thanks for getting back.

You are correct about what is happening with my system core generation.

Previously you asked me the following:

"The problem should be in your original system core dump. What is the file size of your java core file"?

The first time I generated the core I followed the recommendation in the "MustGather: Performance, hang, or high CPU issues on Linux" and used the gdb command. The size of the system core was quite small (42MB) because it said only wait 2 minutes before generating the dump.

However, when I generate the core using kill -11 I also get the same errors and the file sizes were as follows:

-rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 83159911 Apr 17 07:03 coresdff
    -rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 19968 Apr 17 07:02 coresdff.hdr
    -rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 1147782 Apr 17 07:01 javacore.20100417.070130.27936.0004.txt
    -rw------- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 669319168 Apr 17 07:01 core.20100417.070130.27936.0001.dmp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 592724 Apr 17 07:01 Snap.20100417.070130.27936.0002.trc
    Are you using WAS 6.0 or WAS 6.1 and what is your IBM SDK version?

Thanks,

Andrew
  • Platapus
    Platapus
    6 Posts

‏2010-04-17T11:36:19Z  
    • Platapus
    • ‏2010-04-17T11:34:49Z
    Hi Steve and thanks for getting back.

You are correct about what is happening with my system core generation.

Previously you asked me the following:

"The problem should be in your original system core dump. What is the file size of your java core file"?

The first time I generated the core I followed the recommendation in the "MustGather: Performance, hang, or high CPU issues on Linux" and used the gdb command. The size of the system core was quite small (42MB) because it said only wait 2 minutes before generating the dump.

However, when I generate the core using kill -11 I also get the same errors and the file sizes were as follows:

-rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 83159911 Apr 17 07:03 coresdff
    -rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 19968 Apr 17 07:02 coresdff.hdr
    -rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 1147782 Apr 17 07:01 javacore.20100417.070130.27936.0004.txt
    -rw------- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 669319168 Apr 17 07:01 core.20100417.070130.27936.0001.dmp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 wasadmin wasgroup 592724 Apr 17 07:01 Snap.20100417.070130.27936.0002.trc
    Are you using WAS 6.0 or WAS 6.1 and what is your IBM SDK version?

Thanks,

Andrew
    Oh I forgot to mention when you use gdb no javacore is generated only the system core dump.
  • Platapus
    Platapus
    6 Posts

‏2010-04-17T11:44:29Z  
    • Platapus
    • ‏2010-04-17T11:36:19Z
    Oh I forgot to mention when you use gdb no javacore is generated only the system core dump.
    I also ran ulimit -c unlimited before starting the server.