• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-01-10T17:01:27Z by GanesanBI
GanesanBI
GanesanBI
24 Posts

Pinned topic Runlevel:

‏2010-01-07T09:57:50Z |
Hi friends,
Why i con't change default runlevel other than 2 in Aix? I can change but after rebooting, Machine starts in runlevel 2 only.

Please direct me in a correct path to become an Aix system administrator in Indian Railways department.

Thank you.,

S.Ganesan.
Updated on 2010-01-10T17:01:27Z at 2010-01-10T17:01:27Z by GanesanBI
  • Morten_Torstensen
    Morten_Torstensen
    1 Post

Re: Runlevel:

‏2010-01-07T12:11:28Z  
    Runlevels are not really used in AIX. Are you sure you want to use them? If you really really want to, change the "init:2:initdefault:" line at the top of /etc/inittab (below the comments).

The AIX way would be to make groups in SRC and start/stop them as needed.
  • GanesanBI
    GanesanBI
    24 Posts

‏2010-01-07T14:30:16Z  
    Runlevels are not really used in AIX. Are you sure you want to use them? If you really really want to, change the "init:2:initdefault:" line at the top of /etc/inittab (below the comments).

The AIX way would be to make groups in SRC and start/stop them as needed.
    Yes Mr.Morten, i can add any line to /etc/inittab file using # mkitab command. Is this following command right for boot with runlevel 5?

• # mkitab abc:5:wait:test

Please tell me, will it boot in runlevel 5 after boot my machine?

Please direct me in a correct path to become an Aix system administrator in Indian Railways department.

Thank you.,

S.Ganesan.
  • hdkutz
    hdkutz
    221 Posts

‏2010-01-07T15:31:59Z  
    • GanesanBI
    • ‏2010-01-07T14:30:16Z
    Yes Mr.Morten, i can add any line to /etc/inittab file using # mkitab command. Is this following command right for boot with runlevel 5?

• # mkitab abc:5:wait:test

Please tell me, will it boot in runlevel 5 after boot my machine?

Thank you.,

S.Ganesan.
    Hello,
    as mentioned before:
    You do not need to add another entry to inittab with mkitab.
    Change the initdefault Entry in inittab to the desired runlevel.
    Your machine will boot to this Level.
    <snip>
    : Note - initdefault and sysinit should be the first and second entry.
    init:2:initdefault:
    brc::sysinit:/sbin/rc.boot 3 >/dev/console 2>&1 # Phase 3 of system boot
    <snip>

E.G:
    <snip>
    init:5:initdefault:
    <snip>

Cheers,
    ku
  • GanesanBI
    GanesanBI
    24 Posts

‏2010-01-08T15:50:31Z  
    • hdkutz
    • ‏2010-01-07T15:31:59Z
    Hello,
    as mentioned before:
    You do not need to add another entry to inittab with mkitab.
    Change the initdefault Entry in inittab to the desired runlevel.
    Your machine will boot to this Level.
    <snip>
    init:2:initdefault:
    <snip>

E.G:
    <snip>
    init:5:initdefault:
    <snip>

Cheers,
    ku
    Thank you Mr.Hdkutz, i'll try this. Could u tell me how can i open multiple session in Aix? In linux, i can open 5 users session in terminal mode by holding following keys, <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <F2> to <F6>.

Now, i'm student, learning Aix very interestingly, so let me know in detail or else give me a link to learn.

Thank you.,

S.Ganesan.
  • Kosala
    Kosala
    141 Posts

‏2010-01-10T04:57:14Z  
    • GanesanBI
    • ‏2010-01-08T15:50:31Z
    Thank you Mr.Hdkutz, i'll try this. Could u tell me how can i open multiple session in Aix? In linux, i can open 5 users session in terminal mode by holding following keys, <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <F2> to <F6>.

Now, i'm student, learning Aix very interestingly, so let me know in detail or else give me a link to learn.

Thank you.,

S.Ganesan.
    Hi,

The configuration for the multiple terminals is done through /etc/inittab. In AIX there is only one getty for the /dev/console. I do not think the multiple terminals will work like in Linux, since I can't find any tty* in AIX. But you can start multiple getty instances in AIX, which you can bind to either a serial port or a modem.

Have a look at getty man page.

Cheers,
    Kosala
  • GanesanBI
    GanesanBI
    24 Posts

‏2010-01-10T17:01:27Z  
    • Kosala
    • ‏2010-01-10T04:57:14Z
    Hi,

The configuration for the multiple terminals is done through /etc/inittab. In AIX there is only one getty for the /dev/console. I do not think the multiple terminals will work like in Linux, since I can't find any tty* in AIX. But you can start multiple getty instances in AIX, which you can bind to either a serial port or a modem.

Have a look at getty man page.

Cheers,
    Kosala
    Thank you Mr.Kosala, for your detailed answer of some of my questions. We'll meet in my another question. Thank you once again.

Now, i'm a student, learning Aix very interestingly, so let me know in detail or else give me a link to learn.

Thank you.,

S.Ganesan.