Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-07T08:29:52Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
214 Posts

Pinned topic SDK-ERR-0111 An error occurred during the creation of the data source

‏2009-12-18T02:55:25Z |
Hello all,
I have recently installed the Cognos 9 express trial on a windows 2003 server x64 OS 5.2 build 3790 sp2.
The install went smoothly, and everything checked ok in the logs as far as the cognos installation and configuration.

It came time to add a data source to connect to a database on a remote server. The database is Pervasive SQL 9.5 which is used for our accounting system, Sage Timberline Office. When I attempt to add the data source using ODBC, it recognizes the DSN,(TSDATA) and retrieves an object. I hit the ok button, and it shows that the data source is being added. It works for a minute or two, and then returns the following error:

An error has occured

SDK-ERR-0111 An error occurred during the creation of the data source TSDATA. Please ensure the schema name is correct and the schema contains selectable objects. See the Release Notes for more information.

I have searched the forums, and also read the release notes. All I have found about this particular error from the release notes is the following:

"When creating a data source in IBM Cognos Express Manager, under certain conditions, the message displayed in IBM Cognos Express may not indicate the invalid entry. The following error is displayed:

An error occurred during the creation of the data source <datasource_name>. Please ensure the schema name is correct and the schema contains selectable objects.

This error occurs in the following situations:

the schema that you selected when creating the data source does not contain any selectable database objects.

the database name contains a period (.) character.

To solve this problem, ensure that you enter the correct connection information and recreate the data source by selecting a schema that contains tables. If you are certain that the schema does contain tables but you still encounter an error when you create the data source, contact IBM Cognos Customer Support for further assistance.

Ensure that your database name does not contain a period (.) character."

My database name does not contain a period and the schema does contain tables so I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Can anyone shed some light on this particular error, and possibly point me in the right direction.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2012-08-07T08:29:52Z at 2012-08-07T08:29:52Z by SystemAdmin
  • aborshch
    aborshch
    1 Post

Re: SDK-ERR-0111 An error occurred during the creation of the data source

‏2010-02-19T01:19:51Z  
    Hello, I have exactly the same issue when I tried to access Mysql database. Has anyone responded?

Thanks in advance.
  • MaheshMore
    MaheshMore
    5 Posts

‏2010-05-12T10:28:38Z  
    I am facing the same error while creating the data source for MySQL. Anybody fixed this error. Please reply.
  • MaheshMore
    MaheshMore
    5 Posts

‏2010-05-13T13:41:10Z  
    Any update?
  • MaheshMore
    MaheshMore
    5 Posts

‏2010-05-14T06:37:45Z  
    Hi,

I am able add data source to connect to remote MySQL server.

I tried with couple of ODBC drivers, but manage to connect MySQL server using 'mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.25-win32'.

Please make sure you uninstall the existing MySQL ODBC driver before trying any new MySQL ODBC driver.

Regards,
    • Mahesh
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    214 Posts

‏2010-05-14T12:49:33Z  
    A common issue around ODBC is the 32bit vs 64bit under Windows 64bit OS (see Microsoft issue/tech note later).

If you are running the Cognos Express server or any of its clients on a 64bit windows OS, you need to create the ODBC data source by using the Windows ODBC Administrator tool to enable the 32bit version. Cognos Express relies on the 32bit version.

For more information see the Microsoft KB:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    214 Posts

‏2010-06-15T20:43:24Z  
    So I decided to wait 6 months and see if I could get an answer but alas, I have not.

In that six month period, I have received a Timberline Upgrade which included and upgrade to a Pervasive SQL 10 backend database.

I thought maybe that would make a difference when trying to connect to a data source in cognos express setup. It did not.

I also noted a previous post that menioned the 32 vs. 64 bit ODBC manager, and no, that is not the problem. All of my data sources are configured in the 32bit ODBC manager with the proper drivers, and work properly.
    I still get the same error message as my original post.

My CFO REALLY REALLY wants me to make this work because he REALLY REALLY wants to spend some money and buy this, but if I can't get the most fundamental of problems addressed on a trial version, it doesn't look good.

If I can get this solved, we will purchase the product, and I am guessing I am not the only one that has this issue, and would like an answer.
    Thank you in advance.
  • DanMac
    DanMac
    15 Posts

‏2010-06-15T21:03:02Z  
    So I decided to wait 6 months and see if I could get an answer but alas, I have not.

In that six month period, I have received a Timberline Upgrade which included and upgrade to a Pervasive SQL 10 backend database.

I thought maybe that would make a difference when trying to connect to a data source in cognos express setup. It did not.

I also noted a previous post that menioned the 32 vs. 64 bit ODBC manager, and no, that is not the problem. All of my data sources are configured in the 32bit ODBC manager with the proper drivers, and work properly.
    I still get the same error message as my original post.

My CFO REALLY REALLY wants me to make this work because he REALLY REALLY wants to spend some money and buy this, but if I can't get the most fundamental of problems addressed on a trial version, it doesn't look good.

If I can get this solved, we will purchase the product, and I am guessing I am not the only one that has this issue, and would like an answer.
    Thank you in advance.
    Addtek,

How are you trying to add the datasource? i.e. through the web based Cognos Express Manager, The Data Advisor installable client, using a Turbo Integrator Script (TI) in Xcelerator.

I would assume that you are using the Cognos Express Manager to try and define this datasource, however as you will see here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=4062&uid=swg27016645 neither Pervasive SQL or mySQL are mentioned as compatible relational datasources.

That being said, may I suggest you try one of the other methods outline above to connect your data. Please bare in mind that this will involve the building of OLAP cubes in the Xcelerator engine. This is not as difficult as it sounds, and their is a huge amount of information available online. You may have some luck searching for help under Xcelerator's enterprise name TM1.

There are a number of advantages to taking this route also as it will result in your data being stored in memory at a summarised level, allowing for very fast reporting and ad-hoc analysis to be conducted on your data.

Where abouts in the world are you based? I work for an organisation that has been using the TM1 product for 12 years and we were involved in the beta testing for Cognos Express, we have offices around the world and I would be happy to pass your details on to someone to give you a call and offer some more complete assistance.

Kind Regards
    Dan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    214 Posts

‏2010-06-16T15:32:24Z  
    • DanMac
    • ‏2010-06-15T21:03:02Z
    Addtek,

How are you trying to add the datasource? i.e. through the web based Cognos Express Manager, The Data Advisor installable client, using a Turbo Integrator Script (TI) in Xcelerator.

I would assume that you are using the Cognos Express Manager to try and define this datasource, however as you will see here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=4062&uid=swg27016645 neither Pervasive SQL or mySQL are mentioned as compatible relational datasources.

That being said, may I suggest you try one of the other methods outline above to connect your data. Please bare in mind that this will involve the building of OLAP cubes in the Xcelerator engine. This is not as difficult as it sounds, and their is a huge amount of information available online. You may have some luck searching for help under Xcelerator's enterprise name TM1.

There are a number of advantages to taking this route also as it will result in your data being stored in memory at a summarised level, allowing for very fast reporting and ad-hoc analysis to be conducted on your data.

Where abouts in the world are you based? I work for an organisation that has been using the TM1 product for 12 years and we were involved in the beta testing for Cognos Express, we have offices around the world and I would be happy to pass your details on to someone to give you a call and offer some more complete assistance.

Kind Regards
    Dan
    Dan,
    Thanks for your response and the valuable information.
    You are correct with your assumption that I was attempting to add the datasource from the CE manager. I was not aware that they were incompatible and I will most certainly review the link you have provided, and also investigate building the OLAP cube in Xcelerator as you have suggested.

Our office is located about 45 minutes outside of Chicago, in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.

I will give your suggestion a try and see where that leads.
    Thanks again.

Addam
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    214 Posts

‏2012-08-07T08:29:52Z  
    Dan,
    Thanks for your response and the valuable information.
    You are correct with your assumption that I was attempting to add the datasource from the CE manager. I was not aware that they were incompatible and I will most certainly review the link you have provided, and also investigate building the OLAP cube in Xcelerator as you have suggested.

Our office is located about 45 minutes outside of Chicago, in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.

I will give your suggestion a try and see where that leads.
    Thanks again.

Addam
    Hi All,

I was struggling with the same issue. I used an MS access database (for testing purposes) on a 64bit machine. First I created the ODBC DSN connection in the 32bit windows screen as described above. Then I got stuck with the SDK-ERR-0111 error in the Data screen of the Cognos Express Manager. I did not manage to fix it there, but then I decided to try and make the connection in the Administrator section of Cognos Conection, and there it somehow does work. If you get the SDK-ERR-0111 error in the Cognos Express Manager, it means that the ODBC connection works, just not with Cognos Express Manager. So I am assuming that the solution also works for ODBC connections to other sources.

Step 1. use the 32 bit ODBC connection manager from Windows to make the System-DSN connection here:
    C\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.

Step 2. Go to the Cognos connection Administrator. (to get there from the Cognos Express Manager console, go to Manager, click Welcome Page, click My Home, go to Launch on the top bar, choose IBM Cognos Administration, go to Configuration, make a new data source there, choose for ODBC and fill out the name of the System-DSN connection you made in step 1. Don't fill out the connection string.

I hope this solution works for you as well, let us know!

Tim Straatsma
    Business Intelligence Consultant
    Business & Decision Netherlands