Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-12-24T14:22:14Z by ishields
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2364 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Access NTFS partition

‏2009-12-16T04:26:09Z |
Hi Members,

I have a system with WinXP and CentOS 5-64bit dual boot. I tired to mount and accessing NTFS partition on CentOS but found that the read/write operation is very slow. Please suggest the best way to mount and access NTFS partition in Linux.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Savook
Updated on 2009-12-24T14:22:14Z at 2009-12-24T14:22:14Z by ishields
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Access NTFS partition

‏2009-12-16T20:36:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If this is CentOS 5.4, then I assume you have the ntfs-3g package installed and are using that rather than the older NTFS driver. Check using the command

rpm -qa | grep ntfs

If you don't see ntfs-3g listed (unlikely I suspect), become root and install it.

su - yum install ntfs-3g

Do you have the mount defined in /etc/fstab or do you use a mount command? If not, you may be experiencing delays associated with dynamic mounting.

There's an NTFS FAQ which has lots of good help on setting up and using. Searchign on "linux slow ntfs" yields several hits, so it may be that writing to NTFS volumes is slow.

Hope this helps.

Ian Shields
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-12-24T05:16:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks for your help!
    One more query, does fuse and ntfs-3g are different?
    When I run rpm -qa the out put I get is, fuse-2.7.4-8.el5

Best regards,
    Savook
    • ishields
      ishields
      988 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-12-24T14:22:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I assume you are talking about the mount command output line - something like:
      /dev/sda1 on /mnt/winc type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)
      ntfs-3g provides the NTFS drivers and fuse is a filesystem in user space. You can use the commands
      rpm -q --info fuse
      rpm -q --info ntfs-3g
      to get basic info about what each package does. You might also find our articles Develop your own filesystem with FUSE and Applying mount namespaces helpful.

Ian Shields

Ian Shields