Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-12-15T04:19:15Z by kevin.bowling
kevin.bowling
kevin.bowling
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Looking for Ancient Microchannel Documentation

‏2009-12-09T14:50:35Z |
Hello,

I am looking for some ancient documentation. I am trying to port NetBSD and Linux to these old machines for fun and learning. You can find the list below:

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/rs6000/rs6000-netbsd.html

Everyone at IBM I have talked to have been extremely unhelpful. Looking for a good contact there to help in this endeavor! Yes, it may require digging through some old storage, but it's for a good cause!

Please find my contact info here: http://www.kev009.com/wp/contact-me/

Regards,
Kevin Bowling
Updated on 2009-12-15T04:19:15Z at 2009-12-15T04:19:15Z by kevin.bowling
  • ed_pollard
    ed_pollard
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Looking for Ancient Microchannel Documentation

‏2009-12-10T15:49:10Z  in response to kevin.bowling
    Kevin,
    I am sorry that you have had a hard time finding the documentation you are looking for. The unfortunate reality is that youa re asking for documentation that even you admit is "ancient." I'm doing some searching but most of our resources are focused towards currently supported hardware so the machines you are talking about aren't as simple to get information on as you might to assume. I've spent some time looking for an expert on older hardware and have so far not hit the right resource. It would be good to know what kind of documentation you are looking for, maybe provide an example of what it is you need from a newer system and I can match that up with older doc that might still be available.

-Ed
    • kevin.bowling
      kevin.bowling
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Looking for Ancient Microchannel Documentation

‏2009-12-15T04:19:15Z  in response to ed_pollard
      Hi Ed,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I know the request might require a bit more legwork than simply typing in some terms to a search engine. There are IBM Publication numbers on the link I referenced, but IBM Pubs doesn't have any of those currently. If I had to wager a guess, they would be stored somewhere at IBM's Austin, Texas location. If there are any electronic copies available, they'd probably be in IBM BookManager format rather than PDF or HTML.

Specifically, I am looking for documentation or sufficient recollection from an old timer engineer on interfacing with the Micro Channel Architecture bus. Words that would ring familiar to the right person are: Micro Channel, Bus Unit Controller (BUC), IOCC (Input Output Channel Controller), IPLCB (Initial Program Load Control Block).

You'd be looking for a kernel programmer or hardware engineer that was at IBM from 1990 to 1997 or so.

Relevant information would also be in the AIX source code up to version 5.1. I can sign a NDA to look at any material.