Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-12-12T13:37:06Z by Julian
ScottAmbler
ScottAmbler
158 Posts

Pinned topic Panel discussion: Marketing Unified Process

‏2009-12-03T22:38:50Z |
I'm seeing demand in our marketplace now for Certified Scrum Masters and not often for OpenUP experts/coaches. How can we change this, or if we expand this question, what are some of the challenges facing the Open Unified Process today?
Updated on 2009-12-12T13:37:06Z at 2009-12-12T13:37:06Z by Julian
  • Mark.Lines
    Mark.Lines
    56 Posts

Re: Panel discussion: Marketing Unified Process

‏2009-12-03T23:48:51Z  
    I think that as a community we need to more actively promote OpenUP and other variants of the Unified Process. To that end, Steve Adolf and I are putting the finishing touches on a 1 day Essentials of OpenUP course that we will contribute to the OpenUP project (www.eclipse.org/epf).

Anyone is then free to download it and teach it themselves. Hopefully this will function as a baseline for additional value-add courses in the future by other companies.

Additionally, I am hoping to speak at this year's IBM Rational Conference in Orlando with one of my customers who have been very successful applying the agile practices from OpenUP in a government setting!

If you have any questions on OpenUP, or successes/challenges to share, we would love to hear about them on this board.

Mark Lines
    Discussion Facilitator
  • Mark.Lines
    Mark.Lines
    56 Posts

Question on certification

‏2009-12-03T23:51:08Z  
    Question: Do we need a certification program for OpenUP, or has the Scrum Master certification given certification schemes in general a bad name?

Mark Lines
    Discussion Facilitator
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    158 Posts

Re: Question on certification

‏2009-12-08T12:02:26Z  
    Question: Do we need a certification program for OpenUP, or has the Scrum Master certification given certification schemes in general a bad name?

Mark Lines
    Discussion Facilitator
    I think certification is still alive and well, although the Scrum Certification scheme has clearly tainted agile certification.

• Scott
  • Peer Kuenstler
    Peer Kuenstler
    1 Post

‏2009-12-09T17:15:24Z  
    I would guess that one certificate for everything in the UP is just to heavy weight.

I am convinced that if we want to participate in the Scrum-Certificate success, we will have to offer more "bite-sized" certifications. Probably organized around practices or clusters of practices.

My personal view is, that Scrum is a practice that we could include into the UP framework and just as well we could include the Scrum certificate.

Other opinions?

Peer
  • Julian
    Julian
    7 Posts

‏2009-12-12T13:37:06Z  
    I would guess that one certificate for everything in the UP is just to heavy weight.

I am convinced that if we want to participate in the Scrum-Certificate success, we will have to offer more "bite-sized" certifications. Probably organized around practices or clusters of practices.

My personal view is, that Scrum is a practice that we could include into the UP framework and just as well we could include the Scrum certificate.

Other opinions?

Peer
    I feel that the majority of Scrum practices are now already included in the IBM Practice Library and were already a significant part of OpenUP.
    It may not say Scrum, or use Scrum-specific terminology, but the activity is the same.
    Few people realise this, but perhaps if they did, they would look to use OpenUP more readily.

As for certification, I have never been a fan of certificates for attending training. However "accreditation" for having demonstrated to your peers that you successfully deliver projects, would be more appealing, but then who would do the "accrediting"?

Julian