• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-12-03T14:31:08Z by SystemAdmin
Rajbatra
Rajbatra
5 Posts

Pinned topic need to know whether HMC works as a fence device in RHEL 5.3

‏2009-12-03T13:58:59Z |
Hi,

We are having RHEL5.3 with RHEL cluster suit on Pseries box, We have cofigured RHEL Cluster suit on that servers, but we are unable to use our HMC as a fence device on that nodes, I need to know whether HMC works as a fence device in RHEL 5.3, if yes what is the processor to configure HMC as a fence device.

Pls. help me to resolve this issue.

Regards
RajBatra
Updated on 2009-12-03T14:31:08Z at 2009-12-03T14:31:08Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

Re: need to know whether HMC works as a fence device in RHEL 5.3

‏2009-12-03T14:31:08Z  
    An HMC is not a compute (user access) system. Over-simplifying, it is simply the management facility for controlling Power systems and the associated LPARs. (That said, the HMC does do a lot of cool things for managing the systems, partitions and the virtualization of the systems).

I'm not that familiar with the RedHat cluster suite or the concept of fencing within that world, but I'm thinking that it has something to do with the cluster global file system and access to cluster resources... which would be controlled via running as either additional partitions or systems.

We are interested in more details of how you're configuring this, so feel free to post more details here.