6 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-11-25T10:57:43Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
30899 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to avoid heap dumps?

‏2009-11-24T14:06:32Z |
Hi,

When we upload large file to WCM it gives error ( Env- WPS 6.1 and Linux OS.)

Error:-
Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Async IO operation failed,
reason: RC: 107 Transport endpoint is not connected
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Async IO operation failed, reason: RC: 107 Trans

To us it looks like that server is creating unwanted heap dumps and this causing not enough disk space and creaing issue while uploading large files.
i have gone through this article http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/jdk/diagnosis/diag50.pdf
but not able to find how to avoid creation of heap dumps...

can any one please help me on this, what could be cause of this and how to resolve?

thanks much...
<Neeraj Sidhaye/>
ExtremePortal
Updated on 2009-11-25T10:57:43Z at 2009-11-25T10:57:43Z by SystemAdmin
  • syphax213
    syphax213
    84 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to avoid heap dumps?

‏2009-11-24T18:24:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Add the following export statement to the beginning of the startServer.sh script or environment entries:

export DISABLE_JAVADUMP=true

This should disable the heapdumps being generated.

You can also try to bypass the http server by using the http transport to the server.

Matt Munse

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • syphax213
    syphax213
    84 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-24T18:26:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Also, if you're using SDK 5 (WSAS 6.1x and above), I would use -Xdump option instead

-Xdump:heap:none

Matt Munse

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • jwbarnes
    jwbarnes
    3336 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-24T18:26:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    well it creates heapdumps usually because of out of memory condition, Solve that issue first and you will keep it from filling up space, now you would need to figure out why it is heap dumping, I would suggest either using the heap dump tool or opening a PMR with support

IBM Certified System Administrator -- WebSphere Portal V6.0, V5.1, V5.0
    IBM Certified Solution Developer -- WebSphere Portal V5.1, v6.0

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      30899 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-24T19:03:54Z  in response to jwbarnes
      Hello,
      Some of the error messages suggest a problem in WebSphere asynchronous I/O.

You might try technote Disabling AIO (Asynchronous Input/Output) in WebSphere Application Server at http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg21366862. Its relatively easy test to see if it resolves the problem.

Thank you,
      David Yang
      WebSphere Portal support

• syphax213
        syphax213
        84 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-24T19:37:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        The heapdumps are probably due to an allocation failure. This can be seen by looking at the javacore that is generated. If you see there is free memory in the heap:

1STHEAPFREE Bytes of Heap Space Free: 1a78f6d8
        1STHEAPALLOC Bytes of Heap Space Allocated: 3e02fc00
        (these values are in hex)

And the javacore was generated by an out of memory condition (see 1TISIGINFO in the javacore), then the issue would be fragmentation.

That could be solved by adding the generic JVM argurments of -Xloratio0.2 and -Xk30000

Matt Munse

• SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          30899 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-25T10:57:43Z  in response to syphax213
          Thanks and appreciate all your responses.

We are analysing all responses and i will get back soon...

many thanks..
          <Neeraj Sidhaye/>
          Extreme Portal