Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-09T22:02:55Z by SystemAdmin
kbmurphy
kbmurphy
165 Posts

Pinned topic Renewing expired DOORS license maintenance?

‏2009-11-17T18:32:15Z |
All,

I'm wondering if any of you have ever had licenses expire that you tried to renew under Telelogic or IBM. If so, please post here. I have some questions about the process. Or you could always email me directly.

Thanks,
Kevin
Updated on 2013-01-09T22:02:55Z at 2013-01-09T22:02:55Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

Re: Renewing expired DOORS license maintenance?

‏2009-11-20T01:04:44Z  
    I've gone through the process recently. What questions do you have?
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    165 Posts

‏2009-11-20T13:37:47Z  
    Ok. Here goes. Before I start, I want to say that I haven't spoken with anyone at IBM directly yet. This all comes to me from my client.

My client has a pretty good number of expired DOORS licenses, purchased sometime around DOORS 8, which was released a few years ago. These licenses were purchased for a project that was canceled, and so the company saw no reason to renew them.

Today, the company could really benefit from making these licenses current. We understand that there is a penalty imposed for doing so--that we can't just make these current for the standard maintenance fee rate.

Apparently, IBM has told the company that the licenses are too old to make current, and that there is no way they can allow us to upgrade the licenses to the current version. However, they would be happy to sell us any amount of brand new licenses we want.

I feel this is totally unfair. It's very customer-hostile. My company has a good number of licenses that they can't use on the current version of DOORS, and IBM says we won't allow you to upgrade them. So we're sitting around with useless licenses.

So really, I need to know that someone else has done this for any version of DOORS before DOORS 9 with IBM. I also believe IBM is bound by Telelogic's terms of sales, and that IBM cannot legally refuse to upgrade expired licenses (of course they could make this cost however much they want if the Telelogic EULA didn't explain the cost of renewing an expired license).

Can you give me some details about your situation? How old were the licenses? Was the renewal with Telelogic or IBM? Do you think we're being treated unfairly and is there anyone I can talk to to get this resolved? Again, we expect to pay a penalty fee, but to be told we can't upgrade is very, very frustrating and is actually encouraging my client to migrate from DOORS completely.

Thanks,

Kevin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2009-11-21T16:05:10Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2009-11-20T13:37:47Z
    Ok. Here goes. Before I start, I want to say that I haven't spoken with anyone at IBM directly yet. This all comes to me from my client.

My client has a pretty good number of expired DOORS licenses, purchased sometime around DOORS 8, which was released a few years ago. These licenses were purchased for a project that was canceled, and so the company saw no reason to renew them.

Today, the company could really benefit from making these licenses current. We understand that there is a penalty imposed for doing so--that we can't just make these current for the standard maintenance fee rate.

Apparently, IBM has told the company that the licenses are too old to make current, and that there is no way they can allow us to upgrade the licenses to the current version. However, they would be happy to sell us any amount of brand new licenses we want.

I feel this is totally unfair. It's very customer-hostile. My company has a good number of licenses that they can't use on the current version of DOORS, and IBM says we won't allow you to upgrade them. So we're sitting around with useless licenses.

So really, I need to know that someone else has done this for any version of DOORS before DOORS 9 with IBM. I also believe IBM is bound by Telelogic's terms of sales, and that IBM cannot legally refuse to upgrade expired licenses (of course they could make this cost however much they want if the Telelogic EULA didn't explain the cost of renewing an expired license).

Can you give me some details about your situation? How old were the licenses? Was the renewal with Telelogic or IBM? Do you think we're being treated unfairly and is there anyone I can talk to to get this resolved? Again, we expect to pay a penalty fee, but to be told we can't upgrade is very, very frustrating and is actually encouraging my client to migrate from DOORS completely.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Sorry, I don't have any experience like that, just basic license renewal.
  • Parre
    Parre
    1 Post

‏2009-11-25T15:26:07Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2009-11-20T13:37:47Z

Thanks,

Kevin
    From the support handbook
    If you need technical support cov- erage or want to install a new ver- sion/release on one of the licenses with lapsed Software Maintenance coverage, you will need to acquire “Software Maintenance Reinstate- ment”. This is the only way you will be able to reinstate your licenses in Software Maintenance.

It does not state that the licenses cant be older than x years.

There are 2 options to reinstate a license.
    IBM Rational DOORS Authorized User SW Subscription & Support Reinstatement 12 Months
    IBM Rational DOORS Floating User SW Subscription & Support Reinstatement 12 Months

At Telelogic we had reinstatement only for the first 2 years after that it was considered to old. But IBM has a different policy
    0-12 months +20% maint
    12-24 months + 40% maint
    24- 10% discount on a new license
  • Cnorton2012
    Cnorton2012
    1 Post

‏2013-01-09T16:32:54Z  
    hello, there, can you let me know what you have to do? just got a renewed license yesterday...

thanks...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2013-01-09T17:49:15Z  
    hello, there, can you let me know what you have to do? just got a renewed license yesterday...

thanks...
    Assuming you have a license server.

Check where your old license file resides.
    On a windows license server this information usually resides in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager\FLEXlm License Manager\License (or near there)

Compare the FEATURE and INCREMENT lines to check whether everything you need is still available in the new license.

Adopt the first line (starting with SERVER) if necessary.

Save the current log file (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager\FLEXlm License Manager\LMGRD_LOG_FILE)

Stop your License Server service, replace the license file, Start the service again, check the log file, try to connect, be happy.
    HTH,
    Mike
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2013-01-09T22:02:55Z  
    Assuming you have a license server.

Check where your old license file resides.
    On a windows license server this information usually resides in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager\FLEXlm License Manager\License (or near there)

Compare the FEATURE and INCREMENT lines to check whether everything you need is still available in the new license.

Adopt the first line (starting with SERVER) if necessary.

Save the current log file (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager\FLEXlm License Manager\LMGRD_LOG_FILE)

Stop your License Server service, replace the license file, Start the service again, check the log file, try to connect, be happy.
    HTH,
    Mike
    Additional to Mikes instructions - have a close look at the "SERVER" line at the top of the license file, it will look something like this:

SERVER HOSTNAME 0008023d779c 19353

The last set of numbers, "19353", is the port number that the FlexNet License server uses - IBM may have set this to a default port number in the new license file, check the current working license file to see if it is the same. Some FlexNet installations may have configured FlexNet to use a specific port number, or could be still using the older default port number of 7192.

I also want to highlight Mike's instruction to stop and start the FlexNet service when swapping to the new license file (BTW don't delete that old license file just in case you need to regress back to it) - some administrators may be tempted to use the FlexNet option to "Reread" the license file instead. Whilst the "Reread" option avoids user down time on the applications that use FlexNet, in the past I have found it to be the source of potential instability with the various vendor license daemon processes that integrate with Flexnet - very hard to debug. The Start and Stop service approach just seems to be a cleaner way to introduce a new license file.

Paul Miller,
    Melbourne, Australia