Topic
14 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-17T03:07:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
37422 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WebSphere 6.1 on 64bit Windows 7

‏2009-11-05T02:27:22Z |
I would like to know if WebSphere 6.1 supports Windows 7.

We are migrating our SOE (Standard Operating Environment) to Windows 7 from Windows XP.
The corporate decision is to stick with WebSphere 6.1 -- we use version 6.1.0.7 for doing our development.

When i tried installing WAS 6.1, the installer itself gives an error in Windows 7 "installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with -console or -silent"

I tried running "install.exe" within WAS folder of the WebSphere App Server Trial version which we can download from IBM Site. -- tried running it from command prompt using the options specified in error message -- nothing helps.

1. Has anybody got any success with such type of setup configuration ??
2. Is there any IBM or WebSphere documentation that specifies that Windows 7 is not supported by 6.1 version??

With Regards,
-Amit
Updated on 2012-10-17T03:07:51Z at 2012-10-17T03:07:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • swelton
    swelton
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WebSphere 6.1 on 64bit Windows 7

‏2009-11-05T12:16:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    IBM are pretty good at stating what is and what is not supported. Have a look here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg27006921

This is the list of officially supported OS'es but quite often their software will run on not supported OS'es (I run various versions of WebSphere under Debian Linux with no problems.) Remember though, if you do get it running under a non-supported system then support from IBM could well be pretty non-existent.

Seb
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      37422 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-06T01:26:48Z  in response to swelton
      Thanks Seb,

That does help. WebSphere 6.1 system requirements do not list Windows 7 operating sytem. No wonder i am facing issues.

As a work-around we have copied an installed directory for 64 bit WAS 6.1.0.27 from Windows XP machine into Windows 7 machine. We are checking if this work-around works for us after we manually create profiles using "manageprofiles.bat"

I will post my findings.
      Regards,
      -Amit
      • jphernandez1
        jphernandez1
        26 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-26T19:05:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Amit,

I had the same problem installing WAS 6.1 on Windows 7, but I tried the silent installation and it worked really fine. The cmd prompt has to be run with administrator privileges although using an Administrator user. It's true that Windows 7 is not listed in the suported OS, but it seems it can run OK with Windows 7..

Regards
        • Eric.Kou
          Eric.Kou
          145 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-27T01:02:52Z  in response to jphernandez1
          So far Windows 7 is not on the supported OS list for WAS v6.1.

There is a Java issue which prevent graphical-mode installation of WAS v6.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. So you can try to install it via silent mode using response file.
          • Majeedio
            Majeedio
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-31T17:28:08Z  in response to Eric.Kou
            Hello,

Can you please post the exact steps on how to modify the response file (or) what values that need to be modified to carry out a silent installation?

Thanks in advance...
            • Eric.Kou
              Eric.Kou
              145 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-01T11:15:12Z  in response to Majeedio
              You can refer to WAS61 Info Center page:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.websphere.nd.multiplatform.doc/info/ae/ae/tins_silentn.html

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
              Eric
              • websphere_admin@#W
                websphere_admin@#W
                12 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-01T18:05:39Z  in response to Eric.Kou
                Hi
                I had same prblm for Windows 2008. I ran install.exe as administrator ( right click on install.exe and click on run as administrator) and it worked for me.
  • Harshal
    Harshal
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-14T11:51:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Amit,
    WebSphere Application Server V6.1 is very much supported on Windows 7 and also on Windows 2008 R2 (New 64bit only server OS). (from fixpack 29 and above)

1)While installing on Windows 7, the release version of WAS V6.1, that is (V6.1.0.0); installer must be started in compatibility mode (in Vista mode or windows 2008 mode. or windows xp mode.)

2)Another better way is you should create custom WAS V6.1 image for windows which will directly go to WAS V6.1.0.29. You can create such a image using Installation Factory for windows

All this installation suggestions are explained in good details in the following URL
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21408390

Thanks
    Harshal Mehta
    • SandipAdisare
      SandipAdisare
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-26T15:28:08Z  in response to Harshal
      right click on install.exe
      properties->compatibility -> change settings for all users
      c*ompatibility mode* -> Windows vista (SP2).

Worked for me.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        37422 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-17T00:25:31Z  in response to SandipAdisare
        Hi
        I have tried the same and selected windows 7 but it says

The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag. Thanks for helping me out.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          37422 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-17T03:07:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          After modify the install.exe to Compatibility mode, pls run the install silently:

install.exe -options "C:\WAS\myresponseFile.txt" -silent

you can find the responseFile sample in your WAS image: responsefile.xx.txt. Pls modify it to define your installation location and other info before hand.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          37422 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-17T03:07:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          After modify the install.exe to Compatibility mode, pls run the install silently:

install.exe -options "C:\WAS\myresponseFile.txt" -silent

you can find the responseFile sample in your WAS image: responsefile.xx.txt. Pls modify it to define your installation location and other info before hand.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-15T16:37:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Amit, did this issue get resolved for you? I am facing a similar issue and was wondering what you did to fix it. Thanks.
    • VMBR_Tomasz_Dyszy
      VMBR_Tomasz_Dyszy
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-16T11:29:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      For me the installation works when I choose install.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> "Windows Vista" and install.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> "Run this program as an Administrator"