Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-11-13T14:16:27Z by MG_Daven
MG_Daven
MG_Daven
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Redhat hosted on power (iseries) vary off command does not shutdown LINUX

‏2009-11-04T16:25:43Z |
Just configured a hosted linux partition on iseries v5r4...apologies if this is a bit long winded but pretty new to linux and power hosting L

Linux version 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 (mockbuild@ppc-006.build.bos.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)) #1 SMP Mon Sep 21 04:43:46 EDT 2009

Everything is starting to make sense but looking into how I can cleanly shutdown the Linux partition for weekly iseries full system backup cleanly

Using the info center info on shutting down intergrated linux servers

Following these instructions :

Shut down a single integrated Linux server using CL commands
To shut down a single Linux server from an i5/OS command line, select one of the following CL commands.

WRKCFGSTS
1. Type WRKCFGSTS *NWS. Press Enter.
Type 2 in the Opt column next to the network server description (NWSD) that you want to vary off. Press Enter.
To shut down multiple Linux servers using the WRKCFGSTS command, simply type 2 in the Opt column next to all the network server descriptions (NWSDs) that you want to vary off. Press Enter.

VRYCFG
Type VRYCFG. Press F4.
Enter the following parameters:
The NWSD that you want to vary off.
The status: *OFF.
Press Enter.

The server varies off after approx 15 mins which I think is the timeout for the vary off command and then it performs a forced shutdown.

Looking at the linux shutdown log : /var/log/messages

the vary off doesn't cleanly shutdown the linux partition but just terminates all processes after 15 mins. The HMC terminal indicates the following when the vary off is issued:

Nov 4 15:30:54 Thebe kernel: EPOW <0x64400400000006c 0x0 0x0>

Ideally I want the vary off command to perform the same function as the shutdown command and then vary off the devide

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Martyn
Updated on 2009-11-13T14:16:27Z at 2009-11-13T14:16:27Z by MG_Daven
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Redhat hosted on power (iseries) vary off command does not shutdown LINUX

‏2009-11-09T17:39:57Z  in response to MG_Daven
    Thanks for the post.

After talking with an iSeries engineer he suggested you have the IBM Service and Productivity tools installed. Specifically, the powerpc-utils from the following web page:
    https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/redhat/hmcmanaged/rhel5.html

Please let me know if after installing the powerpc-utils package you are able to successfully vary off the machine.

-thanks.
    • MG_Daven
      MG_Daven
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-10T10:17:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks for the info. I installed the productivity tools specifically

Service Aids powerpc-utils-1.1.1.1-0.ppc64.rpm
      powerpc-utils-papr-1.1.4.1-0.ppc64.rpm 2009.04.03

I am able to vary off the machine but as before. Issueing the vary off command results in the command taking 15 mins to vary off the partition. When I issue the vary off command the following is displayed on the linux command line :

root@THEBE ~# EPOW <0x64400400000006c 0x0 0x0>
      EPOW <0x64400400000006c 0x0 0x0>

There is still no controlled shutdown of services

Do I need to perform any further config with the service aid tools for a controlled shutdown

Regards

Martyn
    • MG_Daven
      MG_Daven
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-11T11:40:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Update

I have been able to issue a vary off command on the iseries and the linux partition shutdown cleanly, since startng up the partition and issueing another vary off the linx partition did not shut down cleanly.

What services / programs need to be running after installing the rpms for the partition to shutdown cleanly ?

Thanks

Martyn
  • MG_Daven
    MG_Daven
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-13T14:16:27Z  in response to MG_Daven
    finally sorted it...looked like a daemon wasnt running with checks for the EPOW meaages...thanks for your help