• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-12-07T17:18:46Z by nfestger
Pawel_Ratynski
Pawel_Ratynski
8 Posts

Pinned topic DSA update problem on HS22

‏2009-10-28T13:32:01Z |
Greetings,

I have an issue while updating DSA preboot enviroment on a HS22 server. I'm using Bootable Media Creator to create the bootable CD, which includes the ibm_fw_dsa_2.33_dsyt19a_linux_32_64 firmware file, but after the "gathering inventory" step, DSA gives a message:

Warning : offline update ibm_fw_dsa_2.33_dsyt19a_linux_32_64 detected, will not apply.
Queing Updates done.

After this, the other updates are installing without any problem... The servers aren't equiped with any OS. Is it possible to upgrade the DSA Preboot from the UX CD, or is it possible only from the OS level? If it's possible to update it from a bootable CD, can anybode give a clue on how to force this update?

PS. Attachtment consist a screenshot of the mentioned warning.

Regards,
Paweł Ratyński
Updated on 2009-12-07T17:18:46Z at 2009-12-07T17:18:46Z by nfestger
  • gez
    gez
    275 Posts

Re: DSA update problem on HS22

‏2009-10-28T14:41:59Z  
    Are you sure this is BoMC? It does not look like a bootable CD created from BoMC, BoMC has a GUI. This looks more like the older UXSPi. Please tell us what program you used to create the bootable image, and the steps taken to create the image.
  • Pawel_Ratynski
    Pawel_Ratynski
    8 Posts

‏2009-10-28T14:51:02Z  
    • gez
    • ‏2009-10-28T14:41:59Z
    Are you sure this is BoMC? It does not look like a bootable CD created from BoMC, BoMC has a GUI. This looks more like the older UXSPi. Please tell us what program you used to create the bootable image, and the steps taken to create the image.
    The CD was created using BoMC v1.10.14. It looks like older UXSP because I'm using the CLI of BoMC (which I prefer over GUI). Still it doesn't matter- my friend is using the GUI version, on twin BC with same result. I've found RETAIN tip: H195991, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is different from the method described in this TIP. I've tried booting from CD mounted from remote media (not working, probably becouse the issue described in the tip), but I've also tried booting from the CD located in the MT of the BC- still not working (although I was connected through Remote console on AMM). I haven't tried booting from CD located in MT and using a KVM connected to the BC, but I don't know this would give any difference...

Regards,
    Paweł
  • gez
    gez
    275 Posts

‏2009-10-28T16:04:11Z  
    The CD was created using BoMC v1.10.14. It looks like older UXSP because I'm using the CLI of BoMC (which I prefer over GUI). Still it doesn't matter- my friend is using the GUI version, on twin BC with same result. I've found RETAIN tip: H195991, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is different from the method described in this TIP. I've tried booting from CD mounted from remote media (not working, probably becouse the issue described in the tip), but I've also tried booting from the CD located in the MT of the BC- still not working (although I was connected through Remote console on AMM). I haven't tried booting from CD located in MT and using a KVM connected to the BC, but I don't know this would give any difference...

Regards,
    Paweł
    Maybe there is a problem with that fimrware build and BoMC
    I tried the BoMC update on an x3650M2 (takes same preboot DSA firmware) Some errors flashed across the screen really fast, could not read them, just before the GUI loaded. I did not see the preboot DSA firmware on the list of updates. I am unsure how to run this in CLI mode, but it sounds like there is an issue with this DSA version and the BoMC. All I can recommend is to go ahead and load an OS and use the OS based DSA flash.
  • Pawel_Ratynski
    Pawel_Ratynski
    8 Posts

‏2009-10-28T16:06:23Z  
    • gez
    • ‏2009-10-28T16:04:11Z
    Maybe there is a problem with that fimrware build and BoMC
    I tried the BoMC update on an x3650M2 (takes same preboot DSA firmware) Some errors flashed across the screen really fast, could not read them, just before the GUI loaded. I did not see the preboot DSA firmware on the list of updates. I am unsure how to run this in CLI mode, but it sounds like there is an issue with this DSA version and the BoMC. All I can recommend is to go ahead and load an OS and use the OS based DSA flash.
    Thank you for your commitment. If you would like to create a CD in CLI, the coresponding option is on the second screen of the BoMC (Media purpose), where you can select if you want to include updates/diagnostics on the CD, followed by the "enable task autorun" option and finally "Create media to use a text-based (non-graphical) user interface".

I will try to test next BoMC/DSA versions and I'll give feedback.

Regards,
    Paweł
  • Suzypco
    Suzypco
    71 Posts

‏2009-11-02T21:16:42Z  
    Not sure if this will apply, but there is a problem with older levels of IMM firmware and being able to apply DSA. See this RETAIN tip:
    http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082032&brandind=5000008
  • Pawel_Ratynski
    Pawel_Ratynski
    8 Posts

‏2009-11-03T07:56:06Z  
    • Suzypco
    • ‏2009-11-02T21:16:42Z
    Not sure if this will apply, but there is a problem with older levels of IMM firmware and being able to apply DSA. See this RETAIN tip:
    http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082032&brandind=5000008
    Hello,
    unfortunatelly it's not the problem. The IMM is flashed with version: 1.05 BUILDID: YUOO32I, so it is compatible with the TIP you have provided. I have also foundfollowing information in DSAs 2.30 readme:

o On HS12,x3850M2/x3950M2, if user wants to update embedded Preboot DSA diagnostics. User needs to open the ibm_fw_dsa_xxxx.xml, modify the tag <type> value
    from 2 (default) to 1. And execute UpdateXpress System Packs Installer (UXSPI) to update the embedded Preboot DSA diagnostics.
    + Example from xml file:+
    + <PROPERTY NAME="type" TYPE="uint16">+
    <VALUE>2</VALUE>
    In Windows, there might be a pop-up asking user if he wants to reboot the system. Select "NO" in this case.

I know that this information is applicable to a different server... But maybe? I'll give it a try in a couple of days. Anybody can try it earlier- the blades are now located on the customers site...

Regards,
    Paweł
  • Pawel_Ratynski
    Pawel_Ratynski
    8 Posts

‏2009-11-04T16:02:08Z  
    Hello,
    unfortunatelly it's not the problem. The IMM is flashed with version: 1.05 BUILDID: YUOO32I, so it is compatible with the TIP you have provided. I have also foundfollowing information in DSAs 2.30 readme:

o On HS12,x3850M2/x3950M2, if user wants to update embedded Preboot DSA diagnostics. User needs to open the ibm_fw_dsa_xxxx.xml, modify the tag <type> value
    from 2 (default) to 1. And execute UpdateXpress System Packs Installer (UXSPI) to update the embedded Preboot DSA diagnostics.
    + Example from xml file:+
    + <PROPERTY NAME="type" TYPE="uint16">+
    <VALUE>2</VALUE>
    In Windows, there might be a pop-up asking user if he wants to reboot the system. Select "NO" in this case.

I know that this information is applicable to a different server... But maybe? I'll give it a try in a couple of days. Anybody can try it earlier- the blades are now located on the customers site...

Regards,
    Paweł
    I've tested the solution mentioned in the post above, and it worked fine but with one little notice: the DSA update is not selected by default, so it's required by the user to select it manually in the BoMC CD Update Menu.

Regards,
    Paweł
  • nfestger
    nfestger
    2 Posts

‏2009-12-04T19:47:38Z  
    I've tested the solution mentioned in the post above, and it worked fine but with one little notice: the DSA update is not selected by default, so it's required by the user to select it manually in the BoMC CD Update Menu.

Regards,
    Paweł
    Hmm. I changed that value from 2 to 1 with no luck. I'm flashing an HS22 as well. I'm at the menu right now (I use the GUI) and I don't see the diagnostics as an option.

I changed
    <PROPERTY NAME="type" TYPE="uint16">
    <VALUE>\2</VALUE>

into
    <VALUE>\1</VALUE>

That was all I had to do, right?

The DSA file is too large to push via AMM as you mentioned, and our customer isn't paying me to put an OS on this thing just to flash it.

I'll keep futzing with it. Thanks for making this thread, though. At least I'm not alone! :D
  • Pawel_Ratynski
    Pawel_Ratynski
    8 Posts

‏2009-12-07T14:51:37Z  
    • nfestger
    • ‏2009-12-04T19:47:38Z
    Hmm. I changed that value from 2 to 1 with no luck. I'm flashing an HS22 as well. I'm at the menu right now (I use the GUI) and I don't see the diagnostics as an option.

I changed
    <VALUE>\2</VALUE>

into
    <VALUE>\1</VALUE>

That was all I had to do, right?

The DSA file is too large to push via AMM as you mentioned, and our customer isn't paying me to put an OS on this thing just to flash it.

I'll keep futzing with it. Thanks for making this thread, though. At least I'm not alone! :D
    Hello nfestger,

I don't know if you have changed the xml correctly. You have written, that you have changed
    <VALUE>*\*2</VALUE> into <VALUE>*\*1</VALUE> but it should look like this:
    <VALUE>2</VALUE> - there is no dash between <VALUE> and 2, so finally it should look like this:
    <VALUE>1</VALUE>. With this file you should be able to create correct BoMC CD.

Regards,
    Paweł
  • nfestger
    nfestger
    2 Posts

‏2009-12-07T17:18:46Z  
    Hello nfestger,

I don't know if you have changed the xml correctly. You have written, that you have changed
    <VALUE>*\*2</VALUE> into <VALUE>*\*1</VALUE> but it should look like this:
    <VALUE>2</VALUE> - there is no dash between <VALUE> and 2, so finally it should look like this:
    <VALUE>1</VALUE>. With this file you should be able to create correct BoMC CD.

Regards,
    Paweł
    D'oh!!! How did I get that slash in there? I got an A in HTML class back in high school too! haha.

I took that slash out and now it's working perfect. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.