Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-02-23T11:03:30Z by jennifer2012
megalosaurus
megalosaurus
3 Posts

Pinned topic How to improve performance on CSM master

‏2009-10-22T17:46:35Z |
We have a cluster of 350 Linux nodes all connected on a gigabit network. The CSM master runs a cfmupdate command hourly to push updates out to all the other nodes. There's not usually a lot for it to push out; most times there's nothing. But when it runs, the master becomes almost unusable for about ten minutes. Are there any tuning parameters to get this cfmupdatenode to be less disruptive?
Updated on 2010-02-23T11:03:30Z at 2010-02-23T11:03:30Z by jennifer2012
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    476 Posts

Re: How to improve performance on CSM master

‏2009-10-26T05:46:29Z  
    Hi,

The cfmupdatenode is scheduled to run through crontab. If you usually have nothing to update, you can issue "crontab -e" to edit the crontab to enlarge the interval of running cfmupdatenode. Or you can disable it and run cfmupdatenode manually when necessary.

And cfmupdatenode has a "-M" option
    -M max_child_processes
    Sets the number of nodes to update concurrently. The default value is 32, or the value specified by the
    CSM_FANOUT environment variable. Depending on the number of files to be transferred, cfmupdatenode can
    take time to update a node, so set this number accordingly. If all files are not being transferred to
    the target nodes, reduce the CSM_FANOUT value.
    You can use -M to specify more parallel child processes to make the command more concurrently.

And you can take a look at "-y", it may help you also.
    -y
    Specifies younger mode. Files are normally updated if their modification times and sizes disagree with
    those of the master copy (located in /cfmroot). This flag causes the cfmupdatenode command to not update
    files that are younger than the master copy. Only use this flag if your node time clocks are in sync
    with your management server time clock. A warning message is printed for files that are newer than the
    master copy.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    476 Posts

‏2009-10-30T02:31:01Z  
    Hi,

The cfmupdatenode is scheduled to run through crontab. If you usually have nothing to update, you can issue "crontab -e" to edit the crontab to enlarge the interval of running cfmupdatenode. Or you can disable it and run cfmupdatenode manually when necessary.

And cfmupdatenode has a "-M" option
    -M max_child_processes
    Sets the number of nodes to update concurrently. The default value is 32, or the value specified by the
    CSM_FANOUT environment variable. Depending on the number of files to be transferred, cfmupdatenode can
    take time to update a node, so set this number accordingly. If all files are not being transferred to
    the target nodes, reduce the CSM_FANOUT value.
    You can use -M to specify more parallel child processes to make the command more concurrently.

And you can take a look at "-y", it may help you also.
    -y
    Specifies younger mode. Files are normally updated if their modification times and sizes disagree with
    those of the master copy (located in /cfmroot). This flag causes the cfmupdatenode command to not update
    files that are younger than the master copy. Only use this flag if your node time clocks are in sync
    with your management server time clock. A warning message is printed for files that are newer than the
    master copy.
    Yes - I know how to remove the cfmupdatenode command or change the frequency, but compared to the alternatives, letting it run hourly probably is the least worst option.

I tried using the -M option to 64, but there was no noticeable difference. I don't think the -y option would have any effect; none of these files should be getting updated locally.
  • jennifer2012
    jennifer2012
    1 Post

‏2010-02-23T11:03:30Z  
    Yes - I know how to remove the cfmupdatenode command or change the frequency, but compared to the alternatives, letting it run hourly probably is the least worst option.

I tried using the -M option to 64, but there was no noticeable difference. I don't think the -y option would have any effect; none of these files should be getting updated locally.
    Yes. that is . very nice.
    [url=http://www.iphoneringtonemakerformac.us/]iPhone Ringtone Maker for Mac[/url]