Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-29T18:46:26Z by BeastBoysDad
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3180 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Trying to modify deleted objects in 9.2 / canModify

‏2009-10-06T14:41:26Z |

I found a kind of bug in a DXL script of mine exporting also deleted objects and also trying to modify the object attributes. In DOORS 8.3 you can use this kind of code

Object o = current
if (canModify(o."Object Short Text"))
  {
    o."Object Short Text" = "Yes"
    print "Yes"
  }

Which has a bug relying only on "canModify" as it seems that even though you can not edit a deleted objects' attributes "canModify" nevertheless passes and there is no error message given in 8.3 for the o."Object Short Text" = "Yes" line.

In 9.2 the same code gives now an error message of "-R-W- DXL: <Line:5> cannot modify attribute on a deleted object". Of course the correct form for this should be

Object o = current
if ((!isDeleted o) && (canModify(o."Object Short Text")))
  {
    o."Object Short Text" = "Yes"
    print "Yes"
  }

Updated on 2013-12-18T22:10:57Z at 2013-12-18T22:10:57Z by iron-man
  • ostanescu
    ostanescu
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Trying to modify deleted objects in 9.2 / canModify

‏2011-01-20T18:01:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Actually in 9.2.0.0 the bug is reversed:

my code of an attribute DXL like this:

if(!isDeleted obj and canModify obj) {

obj.attrDXLName = true

}

when the obj is deleted I still get the following error when Refresh Attributes DXL menu is pressed:

-R-W- DXL: <Line:44> cannot modify attribute on a deleted object
  • llandale
    llandale
    2809 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-20T20:20:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin

They mindfully added the restriction to not updating deleted objects I believe in v9.0. My arguments to the contrary failed.

For Attr-DXL, version 9.2.0.1 has the bug that it will fail, thus, very annoyingly, all my Attr-DXL code now has this at the top:

// v9.2.0.1 bug, cannot set AttrDXL values of a deleted object.  Fixed in v9.2.0.2
    if (    isDeleted(obj)                          and
            length(doorsInfo(infoVersion)) >=7   and 
            (doorsInfo(infoVersion))[0:6] == "9.2.0.1") halt

Edit 2013: v9200 and v9201 have this defect; yes fixed in v9202.

I know there are times we indeed want to modify the values of a deleted object, such as when importing from a spreadsheet, but alas they know better. I suggested making some sort of override available, perhaps a temporary DXL perm or a Database Property or some User Property, but to no avail.

• Louie

Updated on 2013-12-18T22:11:42Z at 2013-12-18T22:11:42Z by iron-man
  • BeastBoysDad
    BeastBoysDad
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-29T00:15:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin

I have confirmed that DXL could modify the attributes of deleted objects in DOORS 7 and DOORS 8, dating back to the DOORS 7.1 release on May 17, 2004. I verified such by writing DXL code and having it successfully modify attributes of deleted objects on DOORS 7 and DOORS 8 platforms. It is unknown if this feature worked in DOORS 6 and earlier because I couldn't locate any users still using these versions. However, there is no reason to suspect that this feature did not exist in DOORS dating all the way back to its original deployment by Telelogic (originators of DOORS) in 1999.

However, the exact same DXL that worked perfectly fine on DOORS 7 and DOORS 8 platforms does not work in DOORS 9.  IBM says that it was a "bug" that allowed it to work in earlier versions of DOORS before IBM bought the product from Telelogic.

IBM had a TechNote 1412273 that clearly stated that the inability of DXL to modify attributes of deleted objects is a bug that would be fixed in DOORS 9.2.0.2.  When I contacted IBM Technical Support to say that the bug wasn't fixed in DOORS 9.3, they said that the TechNote was in error, it wasn't a bug, and then promptly deleted the TechNote from their web site.

I have submitted a request for enhancement (RFE) to restore this feature.  Members of the developer community who would like to see this extremely useful feature restored are asked to please vote on the RFE at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=40939.

• llandale
      llandale
      2809 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-29T18:38:33Z  in response to BeastBoysDad

DOORS 4 through 8 allowed modification of deleted objects via DXL.  DOORS v9200 disallowed this feature, but by doing so introduced a bug disallowing Attr-DXL from displaying info of deleted objects; blowing up Attr-DXL.  THAT "bug" was fixed in v9202.

Yes, I found it somewhat offensive they removed that feature ..err.. declared it a bug and fixed it, without input from the community.

Seems strange to check, undelete the object, make the change, then re-soft-delete it.

-Louie

• BeastBoysDad
        BeastBoysDad
        16 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-29T18:46:26Z  in response to llandale

Would you be willing to vote on the RFE in an effort to get IBM to restore this feature?  Please see http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=40939 to cast your vote.  Please ask your colleagues to vote on this as well.  When you vote on the RFE, I would also appreciate it if you could please copy and paste your above comment into the comment of the RFE.  It would have more impact if a user other than myself (the RFE author) added the comment.  Thank you!

--Rich