Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-02T08:24:45Z by dorinaSG
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3180 Posts

Pinned topic WEXP for DOORS 9.2

‏2009-10-05T10:06:47Z |
I am planning to migrate a lot of our Projects to 9.2 early next year.
One of our key tools which doesn't work on 9.2 is WEXP. This tool is the back-bone of our current Word exporting solution and we would not be able to migrate to 9.2 quickly, without it working.

We are evaluating TPE at the moment, but until I get proficient with it, I am not confident of being able to replicate all that WEXP currently does for us, using TPE. Also from a Users experience point of view, they just want to export modules into our standard word corporate templates, quickly and easily. When we migrate to 9.2, all exporting to word, must work in an identical way as it previously did.

Therefore I have obtained a copy of WEXP 11.4, which is unencryted and works on DOORS 7, 8 and 9.2.
This will gets us over the hurdle of migrating modules to TPE and there won't have to be a 'big bang' migration exercise. It will also de-risk the 9.2 migration for us, and make it more acceptable to the Projects.

If anyone else needs a WEXP 11.4 version, that will work across all DOORS versions, email at the address below.

Contary to many postings on these forum boards, WEXP IS supported by IBM in the form of TREK. This has now been brought formally into the IBM stable, so if you want to carry on using the latest, supported version of WEXP, obtain a TREK licence from your account manager. For those who don't know what TREK is, it is a DOORS schema generation tool and provides Requirements Management tools over and above those provided in the vanilla tool. It was originally developed by Thales and Telelogic Profesional Services, hence the inclusion of WEXP into the tool suite.
Updated on 2012-05-02T08:24:45Z at 2012-05-02T08:24:45Z by dorinaSG
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts

Re: WEXP for DOORS 9.2

‏2009-10-05T10:10:44Z  
    My sig didn't come out on the post.
    My email is: david.robbins@astrium.eads.net
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts

‏2009-10-05T12:09:30Z  
    And T-REK has been renamed to be

"IBM Rational DOORS Requirements Management Framework Add-on" :-)

supporting DOORS 9.1, but not (yet?) 9.2
  • Richard_Watson
    Richard_Watson
    2 Posts

‏2009-10-05T16:39:47Z  
    And T-REK has been renamed to be

"IBM Rational DOORS Requirements Management Framework Add-on" :-)

supporting DOORS 9.1, but not (yet?) 9.2
    Hi,

Some facts:

1. WEXP was initially a professional services offering which was eventually released to our customers as plain source code (not encrypted)

2. T-REK is now called RMF, this is correct. RMF is an IBM product offering and is fully supported. RMF can be purchased through your account rep with IBM.

3. WEXP is no longer an individually supported tool from IBM.

4. There is an enhanced version of WEXP supplied with RMF which is supported. This is not the same as the WEXP version as supplied by Professional Services. Due to legal restrictions, WEXP can no longer be supplied by IBM as a stand alone component but can be purchased as part of RMF. In the form of RMF it will be supported.

Many of the drivers for RPE (Rational Publishing Engine) was an objective to do everything that WEXP performed but as a product offering rather than a tool utility. I understand that RPE can now do everything and more than WEXP but understand that there is a commercial cost to this and that migration is required from one tool to the other.

I understand a number of organizations have copies of the source code of WEXP and as such this unencrypted source code has no license and is not under IBM support.

If you wish to discuss this I would recommend you speak with your IBM sales rep. You are of course welcome to contact me directly.

I hope this email helps

Regards

Richard Watson
    Product Manager, DOORS
    IBM
    richard.watson@uk.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts

‏2009-10-06T07:34:41Z  
    Hi,

Some facts:

1. WEXP was initially a professional services offering which was eventually released to our customers as plain source code (not encrypted)

2. T-REK is now called RMF, this is correct. RMF is an IBM product offering and is fully supported. RMF can be purchased through your account rep with IBM.

4. There is an enhanced version of WEXP supplied with RMF which is supported. This is not the same as the WEXP version as supplied by Professional Services. Due to legal restrictions, WEXP can no longer be supplied by IBM as a stand alone component but can be purchased as part of RMF. In the form of RMF it will be supported.

Many of the drivers for RPE (Rational Publishing Engine) was an objective to do everything that WEXP performed but as a product offering rather than a tool utility. I understand that RPE can now do everything and more than WEXP but understand that there is a commercial cost to this and that migration is required from one tool to the other.

I understand a number of organizations have copies of the source code of WEXP and as such this unencrypted source code has no license and is not under IBM support.

If you wish to discuss this I would recommend you speak with your IBM sales rep. You are of course welcome to contact me directly.

I hope this email helps

Regards

Richard Watson
    Product Manager, DOORS
    IBM
    Thanks very much for the clarification Richard.

I have been playing around with RPE for a few weeks now and very impressed with its speed over WEXP. We have some modules where WEXP takes 10 hours to produce a document and running RPE on the same module takes just 2 minutes !!!
    For us, this will be a significant carrot to our Projects, to get them off leagacy versions of DOORS.
    Personally I have been supporting our WEXP user community for 6 years and very enthused that FINALLY I may be able to ditch WEXP and move to an environment, where our more experienced Users can develop their own RPE templates and these can be made available across our organisation.
    However, our Projects need to be convinced that when they migrate to 9.2, all of their existing DOORS tools will work the same as before and the export of modules to word documents will be the same or better. I don't have enough time to build and test all of the necessary RPE templates in time for the 9.2 migration, therefore we will carry on using WEXP in 9.2 and migrate the word publishing side in slower time. Should there be a hitch, or the Projects reject the document output, we can fall-back to using WEXP.
  • kabr
    kabr
    115 Posts

‏2009-10-06T11:48:43Z  
    Hi,

Some facts:

I hope this email helps

Regards

Richard Watson
    Product Manager, DOORS
    IBM
    Richard,
    what exactly is RPE and where can I get some information, white paper, etc. about it?
    Is there an evaluation version available?
    regards
    Karl
  • Dan_Me
    Dan_Me
    1 Post

‏2009-10-07T11:53:34Z  
    Hi

Can you please send that to me too ? :)
    danme (A T) amdocs . com
  • dorinaSG
    dorinaSG