Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-11-12T06:41:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
37426 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Trouble installing WAS 6.1 on AIX ?!?!

‏2009-09-17T16:51:03Z |
I am a newbie attempting to install WAS v6.1 (32bit Base) on AIX (oslevel 6100-03). I 'passed' the prereq check and I followed the step by step instructions,
set 'umask 022'
use correct JDK +'./install -is:javahome opt/JDK/jre.pak/repository/package.java.jre/java/jre'+there is plenty of disk space, and I have an acceptable Mozilla browser (1.7.13)
I have killed java, and rebooted to no avail. I am installing remotely, with the display exported to my XP laptop running (Xming)

I have attempted to install, and directories for /usr/IBM/WebSphere are created, however the contents are missing subdirectories like /bin, /logs, /configuration etc.

I have an installation that I can compare to, and I know there are a lot of things missing. After doing a manual uninstall, using the procedures from documentation I am back at the beginning. I have been trying this for a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Updated on 2009-11-12T06:41:37Z at 2009-11-12T06:41:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37426 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Trouble installing WAS 6.1 on AIX ?!?!

‏2009-09-17T17:01:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I think if the installation is failed....it will create a log in the temp directory for WINDOWS environment. So you probably can check for the log in the temp directory of AIX environment with respect to the timestamp you started the WAS installation. I hope that log will explain why the installation is failed.

Thanks....
  • BrettS741
    BrettS741
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-17T18:31:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If you are just doing a base install through the GUI.. You should be able to run the ./install command as root with your display exported. In the GUI it will normally display any general errors that are encountered. And as the previous poster stated, if you can't find any logs look in the /tmp directory as sometimes if it can't write out a log to the logs folder it will place them there.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37426 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T03:58:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Yes, it would seem that if you are able to follow simple directions I should not be running into any problems. I re ran everything and end up with a Partial Install.

Sep 17, 2009 3:59:37 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.InstallNIFPackage, msg1, Running configuration command: launchWsAdminListener, percent comp
    lete: 22%
    (Sep 17, 2009 3:59:41 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.InstallNIFPackage, msg1, Running configuration command: generateKeysForSingleProfile, perce
    nt complete: 25%
    (Sep 17, 2009 4:05:53 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.installtoolkitbridge.ISMPInstallToolkitBridgeForNIFramework, wrn, Config action failed: generateKey
    sForSingleProfile - /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer10/profileTemplates/default/actions/generateKeysForSingleProfile.ant
    (Sep 17, 2009 4:05:53 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.installtoolkitbridge.ISMPInstallToolkitBridgeForNIFramework, wrn, Config action failed: 97SInstallI
    nvokeWSProfile - /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer10/properties/version/nif/config/install/97SInstallInvokeWSProfile.ijc
    (Sep 17, 2009 4:06:48 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.SettleNIFRegistryAction, msg1, Current install/uninstall process is successful. Process typ
    e is: install
    (Sep 17, 2009 4:06:53 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.SetExitCodeAction, msg1, CWUPI0000I: EXITCODE=2
    (Sep 17, 2009 4:06:54 PM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogSuccessMessageAction, msg1, INSTCONFPARTIALSUCCESS

No profiles were created, so I should be able to run the manageprofiles.sh to create and add a profile.
    However I have had no such luck (I don't know if it is my command syntax or something else that is preventing it).

I have read Redbooks and documentation like crazy and wonder if there is anything else out there like a cookbook or something

Thanks
    CC
    • Eric.Kou
      Eric.Kou
      145 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T09:29:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      From reading the latest log segments you posted, there is one config action error during post-installation when operating on WAS profile.

I would suggest you doing it again with following approach:

• Do not create any profile when installation wizard asks you, and check the option "launch PMT after installation". This way profile management tool will launch after installation, and you will be able to create profile manually. Try if this helps.

• And if fail again, also collect the config action log "installconfig.log" or "installconfig.log.gz" from path WAS_HOME/logs/install, which might be helpful for next step investigation.

And also I noticed you manually point to JRE path in command line "./install -is:javahome opt/JDK/jre.pak/repository/package.java.jre/java/jre". Not sure why you are doing this. Normally we use the standard JDK package from IBM, and extract both JDK and WAS packages to the same folder, then the folder will looks like this:
      Parent Folder

|--JDK
      |--WAS

This way we can just run command "./install" under WAS, the shell will find correct java home path by itself. You can also try this if above suggestion does not help. And, remember to use the correct JDK edition for AIX platform.

Hope this helps.

Eric
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37426 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T15:20:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    When I went to reinstall, I was never prompted to ask what type of installation I wanted (Stand-alone, Managed Server, or None). Also I was not asked if I wanted to run the PMT tool (no check box) either. Is it possible I have the 'wrong' version of WAS? I attempting this with (*C1Y2BML.tar*). It started to install, and then crashed. Files were written to /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer but only properties uninstall

I can get another version of WAS but this one should work I think.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37426 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T17:08:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    So I installed another version of WAS (C87QUML) and again ran into the same error, the the profile could not be created.
    I include two portions of the log file.

The first part shows that the Operating system was not supported. This was changed in the later version of WAS (C1Y2BML) so that it would report as acceptable.

(Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1, OS Name: AIX
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1, OS Architecture: ppc
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1, OS Version: 6.1
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1, Current User ID: root
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1, Current User Home: /
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1, Current Working Directory: /opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:30 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.PopulateTitleBarAction, msg1, IBM WebSphere Application Server V6.1.0.0
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:27:32 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPFileDeleteAction, msg1, Deleting file: Source: /tmp/.aix_ISMP_lock____
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:28:59 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.MaintenancePrereqCheckAction, err, CWUPI0036E:
    A supported operating system was not detected. Support for your operating system might have been added after the release of the product. You can continue with the insta
    llation, but the installation might not succeed. See the WebSphere Application Server supported hardware and software Web pages at http://www.ibm.com/software/webserver
    s/appserv/doc/latest/prereq.html for more information about supported operating systems.

Detected OS level: 6100-03
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:31:26 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.SetSatellitePaksAction, msg1, List of paks to uninstall and install: file:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS
    /was.primary.pak/;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.embed.common.pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.embed.pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.server.common.pak;zip:///opt/W
    AS_C87QUML/WAS/was.server.pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.license.pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.samples.pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.samples.common.pak;zi
    p:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.baseonly.pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.itlm.base.pak;file:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/../JDK/jre.pak/;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/../JDK/sdk
    .pak;zip:///opt/WAS_C87QUML/WAS/was.installconfig.pak;
    (Sep 18, 2009 10:32:21 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogFileAction, msg1,
    The second part is where it fails because of the Profile creation.

(Sep 18, 2009 11:39:21 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.InstallNIFPackage, msg1, Running configuration command: generateKeysForSingleProfile, percent co
    mplete: 25%
    (Sep 18, 2009 11:44:39 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.installtoolkitbridge.ISMPInstallToolkitBridgeForNIFramework, wrn, Config action failed: generateKeysForS
    ingleProfile - /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer1/profileTemplates/default/actions/generateKeysForSingleProfile.ant
    (Sep 18, 2009 11:44:40 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.installtoolkitbridge.ISMPInstallToolkitBridgeForNIFramework, wrn, Config action failed: 97SInstallInvoke
    WSProfile - /usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer1/properties/version/nif/config/install/97SInstallInvokeWSProfile.ijc
    (Sep 18, 2009 11:46:07 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.SettleNIFRegistryAction, msg1, Current install/uninstall process is successful. Process type is:
    install
    (Sep 18, 2009 11:46:15 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.SetExitCodeAction, msg1, CWUPI0000I: EXITCODE=2
    (Sep 18, 2009 11:46:15 AM), Process, com.ibm.ws.install.ni.ismp.actions.ISMPLogSuccessMessageAction, msg1, INSTCONFPARTIALSUCCESS
    I just want to install WAS, why does this have to be so difficult!

CC
    • Eric.Kou
      Eric.Kou
      145 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-21T08:36:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Please open a PMR for this issue.

Regards,
      Eric
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37426 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-21T15:08:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Aparently internal IBM people do not get the same level of service as clients who actually pay. When I called to get a PMR opened and didnt have a customer number for them to bill they told me that they couldn't help me. My manager suggested that I find someone on the team that developed the software (WebSphere) and if you are reading this thread you might be that person. My Sametime is 'ccramer at us dot ibm dot com' and if we could chat that way that would be great.

thanks
    CC
    • RamunasP
      RamunasP
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-11T18:04:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I had similarly looking problems on ubuntu (Installing WAS 7 and later WID62). The point was default shell under /bin/sh. It was "dash" instead of "bash". More details you can find at this blog
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        37426 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-12T06:35:07Z  in response to RamunasP
        Can you please provide description for the following part numbers (as per extreme leverage) :
        C87QUML
        C1Y2BML
        C1Y2BML

Thanks
        Akash
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          37426 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-12T06:41:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I just doubt whether you are using wrong Part Number or it didn't downloaded well.

Thanks
          Akash