8 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-10-01T04:36:50Z by Maximo4life
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5842 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Storing Rotating Assets

‏2009-09-17T06:52:44Z |
Hi,

Does Maximo allow to have an Inventory of Rotating Items (by having them procured through the normal procurement process) in a storeroom without assigning an unique Asset number to each. If yes, could you please let me know how this can be achieved.

Thanks
Updated on 2009-10-01T04:36:50Z at 2009-10-01T04:36:50Z by Maximo4life
  • Knightro
    Knightro
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Storing Rotating Assets

‏2009-09-24T13:35:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    A tool can't be rotating (serialized) and in inventory with a balance. We do have an "inventory" of rotating tools but they have to be issued by serial number rather than just quantities.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      5842 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-25T06:44:12Z  in response to Knightro
      Hi,

Thanks for your response. My concern was related to Rotating Items and not tools. With respect to tools, Maximo 7 does allow to create Rotating Tools and it also allows to stock them using the Stocked Tools application.

My question was, is it possible to have an Inventory of Rotating Item (usig the regular procurement process) without associating an Asset number.

Thanks.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        5842 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-25T15:21:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You cannnot store Rotating items with out creating Assets.

You can procure rotating items similar to normal purchase but when received Maximo will force to create assets.

If you dont want to create Asset why you want to create those items as Rotating Items?

Thanks
        Sridhar
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          5842 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-26T12:12:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi,

Thanks for the response. The reason why I asked the question was because I had come across a couple of Maximo documents where it was told that Assets could be tagged to Rotating items only if they need to be maintained (i.e if a PM record has to be created on them). This made think if there was a possiblity of having a Rotating Item in the Inventory without having an Asset tagged to it.

Consider a scenario where I have a bunch of newly procured motors, which I have in my storeroom. Practically speaking, why would I need to assign them an unique asset number, unless I issue them to an operating location. PLease let me know your thoughts on this. From a Maximo stand point it looks like we have to assign an Asset number for the above scenarion.

Thanks
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            5842 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-29T12:58:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi,
            I am also having trouble figuring out to really understand thes rotating assets and how they work. but i'm looking at it as an asset and an item at the same time or at least when u recieve it. meaning u have to give it as asset number as well as an item number when u recieve it. and this will alow you to store in your store room as an item but it will be the asset when it is out. almost like someone with two names that u use for 2 different purpose.

What i am unsure about is how u actually take the asset out of production to the garage let say and bring the same item back to the storeroom when it is fixed.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              5842 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-30T03:43:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi,

You can achieve what you are looking for by transferring the Asset (Transfer Out from the Issues & Transfers) out of the Storeroom to a repair location and then back using Transfer-In, post repair. Hope this helps.

Thanks
              • smart_boy
                smart_boy
                40 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-30T15:11:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                I have different situation here. I have added two field in PO and would like to copy those field value in Asset. I don't know how to copy those value PO to Asset. I already have those field in Asset. Please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance
                • Maximo4life
                  Maximo4life
                  21 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-01T04:36:50Z  in response to smart_boy
                  Go to your new asset fields in database configuration.

You will find there are two fields called same as object and same as attribute.

same as object =PO, same as attribute=[your PO attribute which u wanted to be copied), do this to both of your new asset fields.

do a db config after saving and you will be on the go!