Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-09-15T14:15:44Z by ishields
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2364 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Lookalike for OS/2 epm on Linux?

‏2009-09-14T01:02:09Z |
This is my first post here, I hope the question is reasonably on-topic.

I'm a long-time OS/2 user in the process of migrating to Linux. After trying out various editors, I find I really miss epm. Has IBM ported epm to Linux? Is something else reasonably close?

Thanks.
Updated on 2009-09-15T14:15:44Z at 2009-09-15T14:15:44Z by ishields
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Lookalike for OS/2 epm on Linux?

‏2009-09-15T13:27:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Linux has a range of graphical and text-based editors, but I'm not aware of an EPM port. Are you looking for an editor for editing text such as code, or for something more like word processing?

Ian Shields
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2364 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-15T13:39:10Z  in response to ishields
      Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something for code. I'm currently using nedit, but it doesn't seem to have the block and advanced marking features of epm. Of course I'm used to epm, but an edit that would have taken me three or four operations there turned into a line-by-line project, although I used a macro to make it a bit simpler. I'm surprised IBM hasn't ported it, based on the number of posts I've seen looking for it.
      • ishields
        ishields
        988 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-15T14:15:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        For code development, you might want to look at the editor in the Eclipse package. It's been a long time since I used EPM, so I've forgotten exactly how it worked. The eclipse editor reminds me of code editing in OS/2 using the VisualAge tools, so you may find it somewhat familiar. Most of the current Rational tools use the Eclipse framework.

Ian Shields