• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-09-08T01:07:54Z by graham40
graham40
graham40
127 Posts

Pinned topic Error ERZ104016E with Abend A012

‏2009-09-05T00:16:48Z |
Hello,

One of my programs gave ERZ014016E: Transaction DD1D, Abend 'A012' (screen dump attached), where A012 is ..

Explanation
An error in an IBM COBOL transaction program caused an IBM COBOL runtime system error to occur during the execution of the program.

System action
The transaction terminates abnormally.

User response
Look in console.msg for the IBM COBOL runtime system error message. For further information about the error, look up the error number in the relevant IBM COBOL documentation.

I looked in console.msg via Notepad but it was empty - not helpful. I am accustomed to being told 'something useful' error on 'line 34006' etc. Other than I know roughly where in the pgm it went wrong, is there anything precise I can check? Might there be a 'typical' cause of this error like subscripting or SOC7'ing?

Please, thanks
Graham Hobbs
Updated on 2009-09-08T01:07:54Z at 2009-09-08T01:07:54Z by graham40
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts

Re: Error ERZ104016E with Abend A012

‏2009-09-06T13:27:23Z  
    Graham,

The abend A012 indicates a COBOL runtime exception (for instance, data exception, signal violations, etc,.) detected when running your application. You would see some messages like below in the console.<nnnnnn> (not the console.msg as doc pointed out) when the transaction abended.

IWZ039S  An invalid overpunched sign was detected. Message routine called from offset 0x38 of routine iwzWriteERRmsg. iwzWriteERRmsg called from offset 0x88 of routine _iwzcBCD_CONV_Pckd_To_ZndUS. _iwzcBCD_CONV_Pckd_To_ZndUS called from offset 0x6f1c of routine

The IBM COBOL runtime errors typically start with IWZ... (like IWZ039S in the above snapshot). If you didn't notice any message like above, then you would probably need to debug the transaction using the idebug tool.

HTH

Cheers,
    Hari
  • graham40
    graham40
    127 Posts

Re: Error ERZ104016E with Abend A012

‏2009-09-08T01:07:54Z  
    Graham,

The abend A012 indicates a COBOL runtime exception (for instance, data exception, signal violations, etc,.) detected when running your application. You would see some messages like below in the console.<nnnnnn> (not the console.msg as doc pointed out) when the transaction abended.

<pre class="jive-pre"> IWZ039S An invalid overpunched sign was detected. Message routine called from offset 0x38 of routine iwzWriteERRmsg. iwzWriteERRmsg called from offset 0x88 of routine _iwzcBCD_CONV_Pckd_To_ZndUS. _iwzcBCD_CONV_Pckd_To_ZndUS called from offset 0x6f1c of routine </pre>

The IBM COBOL runtime errors typically start with IWZ... (like IWZ039S in the above snapshot). If you didn't notice any message like above, then you would probably need to debug the transaction using the idebug tool.

HTH

Cheers,
    Hari
    Hari,

I suspected idebug might have to be used. While it is a tremendous tool I quail at using it because I find it complex - is my problem I know:-(. Was ultimately a subscript out of range problem.

As for a console.<nn> window - it never appeared but since my screen is very busy, I suppose it's possible (but I think unlikely) that it was under something. Why wouldn't I get these IWZ's you describe?

But question answered, thanks very much.
    Graham